• 11,047 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

"Snoop" gets three years probation.

#124 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,167 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

By the way, Jeffrey, I could swear I saw or heard somewhere that you recently finished all five Seasons of The Wire. Given that you're one of our favorite film reviewers around here, do you have any thoughts? I think we'd all love to hear them.

What did you think of the story arc given to the Bubbles character?

Did Season Four tear at your heart like it did mine? It was the Fourth Season, everything from the first three seasons suddenly being forced upon 4 little kids, that I suddenly was overcome with what David Simon was doing for us.

#125 Russ

Russ

• 1,113 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

David Simon replies to the request somewhat scathingly:

“The Attorney-General’s kind remarks are noted and appreciated. I’ve spoken to Ed Burns and we are prepared to go to work on season six of The Wire if the Department of Justice is equally ready to reconsider and address its continuing prosecution of our misguided, destructive and dehumanising drug prohibition.

“[The US government's war on drugs is] nothing more or less than a war on our underclass, succeeding only in transforming our democracy into the jailingest nation on the planet.”

Wow. The mold was broken after Simon, wasn't it? You've got to admire his prickly consistency and his immunity to the praise of the powerful.

#126 Christian

Christian

• 11,047 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Homicide certainly pushed harder on convention given its prime time context. The Wire is what happens when good TV writers are given as much room to play as they want to, which is a freedom Homicide never enjoyed.

This is a pretty accurate statement, I think. I love Homicide, for what it's worth (I'm glad I italicized that!), but I have to disagree with Christian...as perfect as the first few seasons were (and they really were), they started losing me each season after that.

But lovable characters in the Wire? I don't know if a week goes by that I don't think about one of them with a smile.

Hmmm. I didn’t “love” the characters, but that’s not to say that I wanted them to be “lovable,” which suggests connotations I didn’t intend.

Do I think of them often? Not as often as you do, Jason, but I do think of them sometimes. That’s not to say that I loved the characters. I agree that they’re memorable, many of them.

Darren: I have the heart of Tom Reagan. In answer to your questions, No, no, no, no, no and no. I did have a soft spot for Lester, Bubbles and even Clay Davis (!), but I didn’t love those characters the way I loved Frank Pembleton, or Kay Howard – or even John Lange, who, as played by Vincent D'Onofrio, made a huge impression for just one episode.

I promise that I wasn't the person who wrote to Slate claiming that Homicide is superior to The Wire:

The single commenter who swam against the tide by suggesting that The Wire is an inferior version of Homicide: Life on the Street, was quickly taken to task by other commenters. (We cannot at this time verify the Wire-skeptic’s whereabouts.)

#127 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,996 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Žižek comes late to The Wire

Meanwhile, I'm going to be dusting off my complete series set in the next month or so and giving the series a try.

#128 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,167 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Meanwhile, I'm going to be dusting off my complete series set in the next month or so and giving the series a try.

You are in for something really special.

#129 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,378 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

Grantland.com is running a "Smacketology" tournament to determine who the best character on The Wire was.

#130 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Grantland.com is running a "Smacketology" tournament to determine who the best character on The Wire was.

This is a bracket I can get into. The Grantland Facebook page has the polls running, it seems. But Levy beating Wallace? Really?

#131 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,545 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I finally finished THE WIRE. My wife and I had held off on seasons 4 and 5, but we finally finished watching them.

Season 4 was, bar none, the most moving television experience of my life. Other seasons were more exciting, more invigorating, but the character work in season 4 was the finest in the series. By the end of it, my wife and I were devastated.

Season 5 was good, and served as an effective end-cap for the show, but on the whole, it's probably my least favorite season. In part because it's painful, given that it centers on the implications of a few destructive choices, but also because its look at the media isn't particularly vivid.

#132 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,378 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Season 5 was good, and served as an effective end-cap for the show, but on the whole, it's probably my least favorite season. In part because it's painful, given that it centers on the implications of a few destructive choices, but also because its look at the media isn't particularly vivid.

I thought the same thing, which is strange, since David Simon was a reporter before he worked in television.

#133 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,378 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

From Funny Or Die--The Wire: The Musical.

#134 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,240 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

From Funny Or Die--The Wire: The Musical.

Somewhat surprisingly... David Simon approves!

#135 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,167 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

The Wire as an animated series.

I'll see your animated series and raise you with this, given that The Wire is Dickensian and all.
Posted Image

#136 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,378 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Robert F. Chew, who played "Prop Joe" on The Wire, has died. He was 52.

#137 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Robert F. Chew, who played "Prop Joe" on The Wire, has died. He was 52.

This is a little over a month after the death of Donnie Andrews, the real-life inspiration for Omar. As things work in David Simon's world, Andrews also had a smaller supporting role in the show.

#138 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:17 AM

Looks like The Wire is getting remastered by HBO!

There's some cause for concern, according to the friend of a guy on the Internet:

My friend who works at HBO says they are chopping the top and bottom off the 4 x 3 frame for the early seasons to "fit" 16 x 9. We saw this with FX's Simpsons Marathon and I really wish companies would stop doing this. It wasn't cool to chop the sides off Lawrence of Arabia and it is likewise not cool to chop the head and neck off of Stringer Bell.

#139 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

Looks like The Wire is getting remastered by HBO!

There's some cause for concern, according to the friend of a guy on the Internet:

My friend who works at HBO says they are chopping the top and bottom off the 4 x 3 frame for the early seasons to "fit" 16 x 9. We saw this with FX's Simpsons Marathon and I really wish companies would stop doing this. It wasn't cool to chop the sides off Lawrence of Arabia and it is likewise not cool to chop the head and neck off of Stringer Bell.

Now if they wanted to remaster GAME OF THRONES,

Spoiler

#140 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,189 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

There seems to be some debate as to whether The Wire was *shot* in 4:3 or merely *cropped* to 4:3 for its original broadcast. If the latter, then the high-def remastering would actually contain *more* information rather than less.

Babylon 5, a considerably older show (i.e. it predates the existence of DVD and the widespread availability of high-def TVs), was shot on 35mm film and broadcast in 4:3, but the DVD was remastered for 16:9 because they reframed the elements, in many cases showing *more* than what the original broadcast had shown. *However*, the visual effects were rendered by computers for 4:3 presentation, so all of the *visual effects* shots were cropped to 16:9 and thus showed *less* than what the original broadcast had shown.

This means that, when you're watching an episode of Babylon 5, if someone walks down a hall, it usually looks quite good (because it was mastered from the original film). But if they turn around a corner and the picture quality takes a drop, that usually means a visual effect (a laser blast, an alien decloaking, etc.) is about to happen (because the entire shot was rendered in video-quality 4:3, and now the image has been *blown up* so that it can stretch from one side of the 16:9 screen to the other, thus resulting in a lower-resolution image).

The recent high-def remastering of Star Trek: The Next Generation (which, I believe, preserved the 4:3 aspect ratio) got around this by *re-editing the entire series* (the original edits had been done in video, but for the Blu-Ray they went back to the original film elements and digitally spliced everything together all over again) and *replacing the visual effects* with brand-new effects.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: David Simon, HBO