Photo

What videogames have you been playing recently?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

I play off and on. I usually poke my head in to see what each expansion is about. There are several things I like about it:

1. It is the most visually rich and well-narrated mmo world out there (some parts of the geography are actually... beautiful).
2. In previous expansions it was the greatest concerted/social gaming experience out there (most end-game content was ridiculously complex and at times required 25 people all performing minutely detailed tasks with split-second timing over the course of a 10 minute boss fight).
3. Its grind/reward ratio is very well balanced.
4. You can ride around on dragons and stuff.

If it were entirely populated by mature players, it would be the perfect game.

#22 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

One of my co-workers was a hardcore WoW player for a long time, but he left because of several disagreements he had with how Blizzard had updated the system. That being said, he's a huge Starcraft fan and even warned us that he'd be getting the new version at midnight (and presumably taking some time off to play it).

I'd like to play it myself, but my game-playing time is at an even higher premium than my movie-watching time. I did finally play Portal a few weeks ago and found it really clever and enjoyable.

#23 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

1. It is the most visually rich and well-narrated mmo world out there (some parts of the geography are actually... beautiful).
2. In previous expansions it was the greatest concerted/social gaming experience out there (most end-game content was ridiculously complex and at times required 25 people all performing minutely detailed tasks with split-second timing over the course of a 10 minute boss fight).
3. Its grind/reward ratio is very well balanced.
4. You can ride around on dragons and stuff.

The first three were reasons that kept me playing Everquest as long as I did. Part of me still wants to pop back in and check it out.

About two years ago, I did trial subscriptions for a dozen or so MMOs. Some impressed me, like Dark Age of Camelot and WoW, but not enough to subscribe. (And some, like Star Wars Galaxies, were pretty sad.) EVE Online was particularly fascinating, but I realized to get into the game as much as it requires, I'd have to spend tons of time playing.

That said, I've recently been playing Dungeons and Dragons Online quite a bit. Reasons?
1) It's a nice mish-mash of things I like from other MMOs.
2) I'm familiar with the D&D 3.5 rules (for the pencil and paper game) used for DDO.
3) The game is FREE. You can spend small amounts of money to buy additional story arcs / special gear / etc., but that's totally optional.
4) It's geared around a party dynamic; while soloing is very doable, the various classes work best augmented by teammates, and require some planning.

The whole no subscription fee thing is just fantastic, too. I might re-try Anarchy Online again too, because it uses a similar model.

#24 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

Cory Doctorow's latest book, For The Win, is all about near-future mmo economies and labor forces. It can be read for free at craphound.com, and anyone that has had any gaming experience will really dig it.

#25 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

So my gaming time has been greatly enhanced by my iPhone. One game that I've been impressed by is Infinity Blade. The plot is non-existant -- your character is the latest in a long line of warriors attempting to overthrow the tyrannical God-king -- and the action is pretty repetitive, but I've found it compelling and entertaining enough. For one thing, the threadbare plot does have one interesting hook -- each time you're killed, you restart the game as your descendant. This isn't really expounded on, but I found it a clever method for continues. Also, there are some interesting twists at the very end, which could make for an interesting sequel. And the gameplay, though repetitive as all get out, is pretty fun, and I've certainly lost hours attempting to accumulate various weapons, items, and whatnot. But the most impressive thing about the game are the visuals... sweet mercy this game is gorgeous, and all the more so considering that it's running on my iPhone. Some of my Xbox 360 games would kill to have graphics this pretty.

#26 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

Forgot about this thread. I am halfway through Mass Effect 2, and like it a lot.

Can anyone recommend good pc game titles from this last year?

#27 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Leary, I am currently playing through indie horror gem Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I am loving it.

There are some hilarious YouTube videos, including one with more than one million views, showing ordinary people reacting to this game.

It hasn't come out on CD yet, you have to download it through Steam.

P.S. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2. I had one significant complaint though-- have you played Jacob's loyalty mission yet?

Edited by David Smedberg, 25 January 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#28 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

Leary, I am currently playing through indie horror gem Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I am loving it.

I was going to recommend this too, David!

#29 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

P.S. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2. I had one significant complaint though-- have you played Jacob's loyalty mission yet?

Yes, I have.

There have been several times where I have been forced into moral choices I would have made differently given more options, especially in the side missions.

#30 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

There have been several times where I have been forced into moral choices I would have made differently given more options, especially in the side missions.

Although there were many times I wished I had another option, this mission was the only one where I felt what I was doing was actively immoral... I keep thinking of the assault on the Statue of Liberty in Deus Ex and then I started wishing Mass Effect 2 would give me a tranq dart crossbow B)

My thoughts about ME2 have become more mixed as I've thought about it more. It's a very slick production and that automatically makes me cautious about it--maybe unfairly. It is an example of how some truly great parts can come together to make a pretty darn good--but not great-game.

#31 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Although there were many times I wished I had another option, this mission was the only one where I felt what I was doing was actively immoral... I keep thinking of the assault on the Statue of Liberty in Deus Ex and then I started wishing Mass Effect 2 would give me a tranq dart crossbow B)

Could you give an example of what you're talking about. It's been a long time since I've played Mass Effect 2, so my recollection of Jacob's loyalty mission is a little fuzzy. I will say, though, that the quandaries brought up by both Mordin Solus' and Legion's missions actually caused me to shut off my Xbox 360 and walk around so that I could think them through. I've posted a few thoughts in this (spoiler-filled) blog entry.

#32 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

The last game I bought was Crackdown 2. I played the first one feverishly...but while I loved re-entering the Crackdown world, the game feels more like an add on to the first. Crackdown 1.5. Yeah, they added mutants and a new villain...but you are either jumping into pits to try and take out mutants with the games secret weapon or fighting faceless "cell drones"... no big bosses...and it gets repetitive to the point that when I put the game in, I just jump around the city and explore...I haven't even made any solid attempt to complete the story the last several times I put the game in.

I keep looking at Borderlands...and I picked of the first Gears of War last night (I found it really frustrating a few years ago when I was new to gaming and sold it...turns out Target is selling the Complete Edition-all the maps and extras- for $5).

#33 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

I keep looking at Borderlands...and I picked of the first Gears of War last night (I found it really frustrating a few years ago when I was new to gaming and sold it...turns out Target is selling the Complete Edition-all the maps and extras- for $5).

I looked at Borderlands for a while, but the trailers turned me off — stupid sense of humor, etc. etc. I bought the game on a lark through a Steam sale, and I wish I would've picked up the complete edition. I was quite wrong about the game. The cell-shaded art is wonderful, and it's a blast to play. The RPG elements are tightly woven in, and it's pretty challenging. And the humor? Not as lame as I feared. In a way, it's everything I wanted Hellgate: London to be.

#34 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

Cool...I got some belated Christmas money...I might pick up Borderlands Game of the Year Edition this week. Glad to hear it was an enjoyable game.

#35 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

Cool...I got some belated Christmas money...I might pick up Borderlands Game of the Year Edition this week. Glad to hear it was an enjoyable game.

I'd make sure to check out some reviews or something first (if you haven't already) - as much as I am enjoying it, I realize some people might HATE it.

#36 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

Could you give an example of what you're talking about. It's been a long time since I've played Mass Effect 2, so my recollection of Jacob's loyalty mission is a little fuzzy. I will say, though, that the quandaries brought up by both Mordin Solus' and Legion's missions actually caused me to shut off my Xbox 360 and walk around so that I could think them through. I've posted a few thoughts in this (spoiler-filled) blog entry.

SPOILERS

When you play Jacob's loyalty mission, you encounter people who have lost their minds due to eating bad food, and they try to kill you--first on their own and then at the instigation of Jacob's father. However, the game makes it clear that they have a strong chance to recover if they are given proper treatment. So--here I am, a fully-equipped warrior with a whole tech team at my disposal, and I can't find a way to take these simpletons down without killing them?!

It's reflexive shoot-and-ask-questions-later gaming that I expect from stupider games, but not this one.

I was actually a bit disappointed in Mordin's loyalty mission, because it had a chance to really examine the possibility that even killing krogan in the womb is morally reprehensible--but it never had the cojones to clarify what exactly the genophage does biologically.

#37 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

Gaming world records.

#38 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

I'd make sure to check out some reviews or something first (if you haven't already) - as much as I am enjoying it, I realize some people might HATE it.

The bad reviews I am seeing pretty much are people upset that the GOTY edition has tokens to get the additional content. :)

#39 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,750 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

Any A&F'ers playing Black Ops?

I've never been a fan of FPS games, but my older kids got the title at Christmas and I eventually got roped into playing with them. The single player Campaigns are actually really hairy and a lot of fun, but the Multiplayer is off the charts. I'm having to put some serious time sanctions on the game during their after school hours because it's just so addictive.

#40 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

Any A&F'ers playing Black Ops?

I haven't, but I believe A&F user theoddone33 worked on the game. It looks good, but I'm just waiting for it to drop in price a bit.