Photo

What videogames have you been playing recently?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

It really is a lot like the Diablo games — kill stuff, get randomized loot, repeat. But the cel-shaded graphics and not-horrible story (as tacked on as it may feel) are worth noting. The weeeeeeird sense of humor might take a while to get used to, but you seem like you'll be fine, Michael.

Finally got to play Borderlands online with a few friends. Man, I've now logged over 60 hours in this game and I'm still enjoying it. Multiplayer really is a blast. I wish I had a mic that worked, but I'm getting by for now.

Did I just quote myself?

#62 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 364 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:34 AM

It really is a lot like the Diablo games — kill stuff, get randomized loot, repeat. But the cel-shaded graphics and not-horrible story (as tacked on as it may feel) are worth noting. The weeeeeeird sense of humor might take a while to get used to, but you seem like you'll be fine, Michael.

Finally got to play Borderlands online with a few friends. Man, I've now logged over 60 hours in this game and I'm still enjoying it. Multiplayer really is a blast. I wish I had a mic that worked, but I'm getting by for now.

Did I just quote myself?

I miss playing this with my roommate my final semester in college. He was taking a light load, and I only needed 9 hours to graduate. That meant waaaaay too much time for Borderlands. I never did snag a Chimera, that revolver that randomly shoots one of 3 different elements, but I was content with my Skullmasher.

#63 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

I miss playing this with my roommate my final semester in college. He was taking a light load, and I only needed 9 hours to graduate. That meant waaaaay too much time for Borderlands. I never did snag a Chimera, that revolver that randomly shoots one of 3 different elements, but I was content with my Skullmasher.

I found a Maliwan Firehawk near the end of the first playthrough, a repeater pistol that does x6 fire damage (even though it only lists it as x4). I'm about 2/3 of the way through the second playthrough and I'm still using the gun. It's incredible, and I sometimes feel like I'm cheating when I use it.

#64 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,487 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

Couldn't find the thread where we had talked about gold-farming, but if you were to ask a Chinese prisoner the title of this thread, they would respond: "Warcraft. Over and over and over and over."

#65 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

I started Infamous 2...so far so good...

#66 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

I recently finished Portal 2, which I enjoyed. But it felt very much like two different games that were smushed together. It felt like they were trying to do a sequel and a prequel at the exact same time, and it didn't come together very well. But there were definitely some brilliant moments scattered throughout.

Now I just need to go back and finish the first Portal game...

#67 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 364 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

I'm really enjoying this. I really loved the first and this just seems to have made everything better. Getting around is such a joy! Evil is always easier so I've started on that playthrough. Which are you doing?

On another note, I've been renting it @ Redbox. They just started renting games here last Friday. I've grabbed it 3 times and will keep it from about noon the first day to 9PM the next day for 2 bucks. I figure if I pay $10 for a single playthrough, then that's a good deal.

#68 Tim K

Tim K

• 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Currently playing a free online game called, "League of Legends." It's was created off a Warcraft 3 mod called, "Defense of the Ancients", or, more popularly referred to as "Dota." It's really in a class of its own gameplay-wise. It has the instant gratification of PvPing like a FPS, with no real need to spend hours building or leveling, but also with the strategy of a RTS game.

I'd like to play L.A. Noire and I can't wait for Mass Effect 3.

#69 bloop

bloop

• 200 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Playing through "Infamous 2", also. My wife demands that I play through as white as the wind-driven snow, so that's what I'm doing.

#70 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

Playing through "Infamous 2", also. My wife demands that I play through as white as the wind-driven snow, so that's what I'm doing.

Heh... my wife makes similar demands when I play the Mass Effect or Dragon Age games.

#71 bloop

bloop

• 200 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

On balance, I've been good, but I have to confess to upsetting her with the occasional collateral damage.

#72 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 364 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

On balance, I've been good, but I have to confess to upsetting her with the occasional collateral damage.

Hah! That is rather hard to avoid. All those verandas!

I finished my Evil playthrough. The ending was actually pretty evil, rather than just pouty and selfish. That was rather surprising. In total, it cost me 6 bucks from Redbox. That's a good deal to me!

#73 bloop

bloop

• 200 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Started on Portal 2, but I have an itch to play through Super Metroid again for some reason,

#74 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

I'm really enjoying this. I really loved the first and this just seems to have made everything better. Getting around is such a joy! Evil is always easier so I've started on that playthrough. Which are you doing?

I've been playing good. There were a couple times where I accidentally killed pedestrians...and I hated that. I also had in incident in Floodtown where I was far enough away and I fired upon, what I thought were three of the Ice soldiers-turned out it was three cops. They kept firing and I could not get at something because they kept firing...so...I damaged my good Karma...and then ran around trying to find people to save. :)

I have managed to lock off several "bad" side missions so far though. But some of those monsters are tough (I mean, the Bohemoth has one spot to attack-his mouth-which opens only when he spits acid).

#75 bloop

bloop

• 200 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

I played through the single player of Portal 2, and the coop with my 9 year old son. Can't wait for the DLC!

#76 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

So, I started Batman Arkham Asylum...I am liking it, though, even on "normal", it can be tough when you enter a room full of thugs with automatic weapons.

#77 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

Steam had their annual big summer sale, and I picked up both Neverwinter Nights 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 super cheap. (These days, I only buy games super cheap.)

NWN2 is the closest I've seen a video game come to capturing the feel of pencil-and-paper Dungeons & Dragons. I'm not too far into the game, but it's compelling so far. And there's around 60+ hours of gameplay, not including the expansions? Awesome.

Bad Company 2 is the Battlefiend franchise's stab at a Call of Duty-style run-and-gun military shooter. I'm enjoying it immensely so far. The non-stop bickering between the NPCs in your squad is a hoot, and you can completely level almost any building you come across. I love the older Battlefield games for their large-scale online play, so hopefully this one holds up there too, as I've not had a chance to play multiplayer.

Finally, my beloved City of Heroes MMO announced a few weeks ago that they're moving to a free-to-play model, which is great news to me (I stopped playing a few years back because I just couldn't justify paying for it monthly).

#78 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 364 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

So, I started Batman Arkham Asylum...I am liking it, though, even on "normal", it can be tough when you enter a room full of thugs with automatic weapons.

Absolutely fantastic game. A modern classic. Nothing like finishing a room having takeN out every guy and having none of them even see you. I. Am. Batman.

Edited by Scholar's Parrot, 12 July 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#79 bloop

bloop

• 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

Love the Batman sim, and can't wait for Arkham City. A little peeved about Robin as a store exclusive.

#80 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

[url="http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?showtopic=7359&st=40&gopid=255875&#entry255875"]Alright, my original post is moved here.
[/url]
At first I thought this was the thread for video games, then I realized for the very first time that A&F has an entire sub-heading for games, period. I keep learning new things here.

Edited by Persiflage, 17 July 2011 - 10:13 AM.