Guitar Hero and CCM Unite Forces

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

Ha, this is a totally bogus thread, but I should get paid for coming up with these ideas.

Ooh, and after this, Harpsichord Hero, the irregular pearl of Christian video gaming.

Edited by Michael Todd, 20 December 2007 - 06:21 PM.

#2 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Michael Todd @ Dec 20 2007, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha, this is a totally bogus thread, but I should get paid for coming up with these ideas.

Ooh, and after this, Harpsichord Hero, the irregular pearl of Christian video gaming.

Ooh... Playing along to some Phil Keaggy or 77s songs might be fun...

#3 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

LOL, you got me.

Michael, did you listen to the Rob sermon from two weeks ago, where he correctly points out that if people were to put as much time into practicing an actual guitar as they did playing guitar hero, that they would easily be playing the songs they're now pretending to play?

Brilliant stuff.

#4 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (stef @ Feb 5 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Michael, did you listen to the Rob sermon from two weeks ago, where he correctly points out that if people were to put as much time into practicing an actual guitar as they did playing guitar hero, that they would easily be playing the songs they're now pretending to play?

What if they spent as much time actually creating art as they did hanging out on Arts & Faith? eek.gif

... come to think of it, I gave up A&F for Lent one year. And this year I have a bunch of songwriting, composing and arranging that seems to be perpetually on the back burner.

So ... see ya after Easter.

Edited by mrmando, 05 February 2008 - 05:15 PM.

#5 theoddone33

theoddone33

• 763 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Michael Todd @ Dec 20 2007, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.theonion...._sluggish_sales

FWIW you can make custom Guitar Hero songs with a copy of GH2 and a chipped PS2. It's all a little shady but people have put fully custom GH2 burns on the Internet through the usual piracy channels. There are plenty of videos on youtube of people playing custom GH2 songs, though I hear that a lot of them aren't very well done.

Probably a better solution is Frets on Fire, which is a freely available version of the game designed to be played with a keyboard held like a guitar... but it works with the plastic guitars if you setup some special adaptors. It's missing some of the frills but the core gameplay is pretty much the same.

#6 theoddone33

theoddone33

• 763 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:25 PM

Guitar Hero for Nintendo DS has been unveiled. Looks intriguing:

http://ds.ign.com/ar...0/860511p1.html

Disclaimer: I'm employed by Activision.

#7 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (stef @ Feb 5 2008, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, you got me.

Brilliant stuff.

Stef, I need to catch up on Bell. With my classwork this semester, I have been behind. Heck, I didn't even know anyone had responded to this thread.

I don't own or play Guitar Hero, not since I freaked out one night while watching other people play it.

I was sitting at my best friend's home, and his three children were all taking turns play the game. I was talking to my friend and his wife, but I was passively starring at the dots and lines scroll the screen. At some point, I turn my head and out of the corner of my eye, they have an impressionist-like painting on the wall. The painting was moving. I was not sure whether it was moving, so I shook my head and looked again. It had stopped.

Five or ten minutes later, I turned my head in that direction again, and again, the painting was moving. It was swaying in and out, it was like there was a three dimensional quality to the painting. I asked about whether the painting was meant to do that. My friend and his wife did not understand what I was asking. After a minute the painting was not moving but I started to become concerned for my eyesight. I am legally blind, and I started to wonder if I was developing a problem.

Twenty or thirty minutes later, again, I had been starring at the screen talking to my friend's wife, and I look up at their ceiling, which is textured, and the ceiling is doing the same thing as the painting was doing. I freak out, yell, and scream that something is going on or I am losing my sight.

After some thought, we figured out that it was from watching Guitar Hero on the TV. My friend and his sons could recreate it. Then it became an actual activity - watch the screen and find something in the room that was cool to look at as it warped in and out and up.

#8 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

Great story, well done!

I get that too sometimes in the dark. It freaks me out, comPLETEly. The main difference being that I can't figure out what is producing my issue. I'm sure it must be something, but I was watching my wife and daughter in bed last week and whoa, the blankets were jumping around them like I was in Lynchworld.

Freaky stuff indeed.

#9 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,657 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

Gibson sues over "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band"

Gibson Guitar said on Friday that it filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Viacom Inc's MTV networks, Harmonix and Electronic Arts relating to the wildly popular "Rock Band" video game and Harmonix's previously developed game, "Guitar Hero."

Gibson said the games, in which players use a guitar-shaped controller in time with notes on a television screen, violate a 1999 patent for technology to simulate a musical performance.