Mr. Tite Barnacle

• 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:43 AM

O what a rogue and peasant slave am I
to the dictates
of Hollywood's ever consternating
release dates.

But no more!

Thanks to the industries changing attitude to the online publication of their scripts.

Time was a virtualista like myself was made to feel a criminal for searching out the likes of the early films of the Cohen brothers or the Epstein twin's masterwork Casablanca but as the poet says, 'the times they are a-changing'.

Studios are now as likely to publish the scripts in advance of a film's release understanding that if you cannot plug the leaks you might as well exert some measure of control over their source. It is a calculated move in these times of increased online piracy. But calculated to do what? I mean, after all, just who reads scripts online?

All this, gentle reader, leads me to my question: Would you read a copy of film's script in advance of its viewing? Do you think it would hinder your appreciation for the finished work? Enhance it? Cause you to want to see it more? Less?

I am intrigued to know your thoughts.

If you are curious and would like to try I humbly offer forth a collection of legal, studio-hosted scripts for your consideration:
There Will Be Blood
Juno
Charlie Wilson's War
Michael Clayton
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I should add I have done this several times myself, most recently with Diablo Cody's Juno, and have always preferred the script to the film.
You have been warned.