Breaking Bad

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#41 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

I knew it couldn't really happen, but there was a minute when I thought Walt was going to kill Jesse at the end of the last episode.

#42 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

Is anyone else still watching this show? Because, last night's episode was one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen, on any show.

#43 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 335 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

Is anyone else still watching this show? Because, last night's episode was one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen, on any show.

The past three episodes have each successively been better.

#44 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,945 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

Just caught up on last night's episode and I agree.

#45 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

I am hesitant. I thought the
Spoiler

And I am not digging the tax evasion subplot. The show is getting really bloated, and its simplicity is what had always attracted me. Walt's wife is becoming an unwelcome distraction from the original Jesse/Walt groove.

And the Jesse character arc is getting increasingly unexpected. Gone are the days of the great conversation he once had with his girlfriend outside an art gallery. But man, the infinitesimal smile of Gus in response to his taking control at the new lab represented one of the most alarming movements in this season.

So, I am split and headed toward ambivalence.

Edited by M. Leary, 20 September 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#46 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

I am hesitant. I thought the

Spoiler

And I am not digging the tax evasion subplot. The show is getting really bloated, and its simplicity is what had always attracted me. Walt's wife is becoming an unwelcome distraction from the original Jesse/Walt groove.

And the Jesse character arc is getting increasingly unexpected. Gone are the days of the great conversation he once had with his girlfriend outside an art gallery. But man, the infinitesimal smile of Gus in response to his taking control at the new lab represented one of the most alarming movements in this season.

So, I am split and headed toward ambivalence.

Yeah, I wondered about the bottle stuff, too. In an earlier scene in the episode, though, Mike told Jesse that either all three of them were going back to NM, or none of them were, so the all-or-nothing side didn't bother me.

I also thought the Walt/Walt Jr. scenes were done really well. I forget there are kids on the show sometimes, and I think the writers do too, but that was one of the highlights of the episode for me.

#47 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

I also thought the Walt/Walt Jr. scenes were done really well. I forget there are kids on the show sometimes, and I think the writers do too, but that was one of the highlights of the episode for me.

That was another false note for me. From what I gather, Walt Jr. has long been perceived as vestigial among BB viewership. This season, attempts to bring him back into the orbit of the Walt conflict have been a bit awkward. I guess this kind of conversation had to happen sometime, but this felt staged to me. It was as if they needed some Walt action in the episode, and this was a convenient moment.

So I guess I had a big structural issue with the episode. They interspersed the Jesse storyline with the Walt/Walt Jr. subplot and the tax evasion sub plot. Neither of these subplots actually accomplished anything other than serving as filler. The advancement in those storylines was very minimal compared to the time alloted to them. We already know that Walt is screwed and is starting to realize it. We already know that Skyler is having to deal with her old boss, and this subplot is turning out to be the kind of standard narrative embellishment that BB was always free of.

Last season, BB would have been fine devoting this whole episode to Jesse and letting us understand more about why and how he has transformed from relapsed meth addict into a guy that can boss around cartel employees. Previous episodes have been so rich with detail regarding Jesse's interim post-murder fugue state, but this episode failed to continue charting that progression.

We haven't seen Walt drive the Aztec for the bulk of an episode for a while. I hope they get back to that soon.

#48 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 335 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:13 AM

Spoiler

But the last ten minutes of the latest episode were terrific.

#49 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

Spoiler

But the last ten minutes of the latest episode were terrific.

Yeah, but in a way, pulling a Dick Van Dyke on the rug and smacking his head felt like the kind of resolution that storyline deserved.

#50 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

Sorry for neglecting the Breaking Bad convo here. (Saul Goodman is silently judging me from my avatar window.)

The season began slowly so there wasn't much to say at first. But I think it was around episode six or seven that it just progressively better each week. It sort of took a simplified Wire-esque approach, taking time to put all the pieces in place in the first half of the season then watching these threads twist together in amazing-- and at times horrifying-- ways. Honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of a show that has so successfully risen the tension in successive episodes like that. For me, the whole thing reached a fever pitch with Walt's maniacal laughter in the crawl space. Man, that was chilling/amazing.

Even last night's episode's notable LACK of an explosive ending somehow seemed to elevate the tension even more.

M.Leary:

I agreed while it was happening, but the conclusion of it which was so dark and strange and which led to Walt in the crawl space was worth it, in my opinion.

The great thing about this show is that each week, I feel that literally ANYTHING could happen. I even found myself thinking "Jesse is gonna kill Walt right here and now" even though that is truly absurd in the clear light of day.

My only real complaint about this season is that there hasn't been much Jesse/Walt interaction and they have such great chemistry together. (Granted, their fistfight was a long time coming and was great in a terrible, Breaking Bad kind of way.) So, I was happy to see them back together last night.

So, we're heading into the finale next Sunday. What's gonna happen? Who's gonna live? Who's gonna die? I have a feeling that Gus isn't gonna make it, but if that is the case, I'm not sure what in the world the plot of season 5 would be. And this season Gus has become one of the all-time great bad guys, so I'd hate to see him disposed of. On the other hand, we've seen the Walt/Jesse vs Gus plot going for about two seasons now, so would another season to justice to that story or just drag it out unnecessarily? I don't know. But I trust Gilligan more than almost any other show runner, so I'm not worried. And I'm more excited about this season finale than I've been for one in a long time. (Probably since Breaking Bad season 3!)

#51 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

So, we're heading into the finale next Sunday. What's gonna happen? Who's gonna live? Who's gonna die? I have a feeling that Gus isn't gonna make it, but if that is the case, I'm not sure what in the world the plot of season 5 would be. And this season Gus has become one of the all-time great bad guys, so I'd hate to see him disposed of. On the other hand, we've seen the Walt/Jesse vs Gus plot going for about two seasons now, so would another season to justice to that story or just drag it out unnecessarily? I don't know. But I trust Gilligan more than almost any other show runner, so I'm not worried. And I'm more excited about this season finale than I've been for one in a long time. (Probably since Breaking Bad season 3!)

My finale guess: Walt is finally going to confess everything to Hank, and then the final season is going to be Gus's takedown. Maybe Jesse's too. Even as I'm typing that, I hope that's not where it goes, but I have a feeling it will.

Also:
Gus Fring : Breaking Bad
Ben Linus : Lost

#52 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

• 335 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

My finale guess: Walt is finally going to confess everything to Hank, and then the final season is going to be Gus's takedown. Maybe Jesse's too. Even as I'm typing that, I hope that's not where it goes, but I have a feeling it will.

Also:

Yeah, I told my wife after the crawl space scene that Walt has exactly one move left and that is to go to Hank. However, this week's episode renewed an alliance that I assumed to be all but dead.

Edited by Gavin Breeden, 03 October 2011 - 04:19 PM.

#53 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 335 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Also:

I never thought of that before. But it's so true! Great point!

I wonder if Mike will be in the finale?

#54 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

For me, the whole thing reached a fever pitch with Walt's maniacal laughter in the crawl space. Man, that was chilling/amazing.

One of the great images of the show. As much as I felt the tax evasion plotline was a rare stumble for the writers, that concluding image will always remain an icon of the entire series. The crumbling of Walt. (The crawlspace played an important role in the first season, IIRC. I thought this is where Walt had originally stored all of his cash before hooking up with Saul. I thought that there was a nice circularity there.) But man, the terse way he gave directions to his wife to go to Hank was similarly stunning. If it weren't for the quality of Bryan Cranston's acting, this show would come across as sheer melodrama.

I wonder if Mike will be in the finale?

Mike is the missing piece at this point, right? Where is his real allegiance? If he had to choose Gus over Jesse, I think he would go with Jesse.

As far as the Hank thing is concerned, I
Spoiler

Edited by M. Leary, 04 October 2011 - 09:12 AM.

#55 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

Oh my.

Where will it go from here?

[edit] Interview with Gilligan. It was posted after the finale aired. Don't even click on it if you haven't watched the finale already.

Also, Gilligan's episode by episode guide.

Edited by Tyler, 10 October 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#56 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

• 335 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

Re: the finale:

Wow.

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Didn't suspect the twist until RIGHT before the reveal.

Now the spoiler-y stuff:

Spoiler

Anything could happen.

Edited by Gavin Breeden, 10 October 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#57 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Now the spoiler-y stuff:

Spoiler

The bomb that Hector detonated, killing Gus and Tyrone, was the same one that Walt had attached to Gus's car. Early in the episode, he retrieves the bomb from the car, and then we don't see it again until it's on Hector's chair.

#58 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

• 335 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Now the spoiler-y stuff:

Spoiler

The bomb that Hector detonated, killing Gus and Tyrone, was the same one that Walt had attached to Gus's car. Early in the episode, he retrieves the bomb from the car, and then we don't see it again until it's on Hector's chair.

Sorry for my lack of clarity:

WE certainly know where it came from, but won't the DEA and local law enforcement want to know how a pipe bomb ended up in a nursing home? Especially once Gus's connections to the drug trade come to light (assuming they do now that he was killed with a former Cartel member and Hank has already been arguing this case for most of this season), they'll want to know who killed Gus, who planted that bomb. It's not a pesky issue for us, but it is for the DEA. That's what I meant.

Edited by Gavin Breeden, 10 October 2011 - 03:46 PM.

#59 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

One thing I'm not sure about is what's up with the cartel in Mexico. Gus killing everyone would have to create a power vacuum, and presumably the leaders who are left (weren't at the meeting) are going to want some revenge. That whole storyline wasn't mentioned for the rest of the season, though. It seems like something that would come up at a DEA meeting.

#60 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 335 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Spoiler