Shutter Island

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,199 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

I figured it out pretty early on, though it was still fun to see how all the pieces ended up fitting in.

Did it remind anyone else of
Spoiler

#42 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,462 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

I enjoyed SHUTTER ISLAND. It's certainly one of the stronger genre exercises from recent years, and probably my personal favorite of the Scorsese output of the last decade. I think DiCaprio handles the material quite well indeed, and the film does a fairly good job of handling its twist, even if the twist is a bit on the predictable side. I definitely appreciated the use of classical music (I'm downloading the soundtrack as I write this).

Complaints? Well, I tend to think Scorsese edited the film too tightly, or rather, that he used too many edits. The film was just the right length, but there were many atmospheric shots that would have benefited from an extra second or two. I daresay some of the stranger imagery could have afforded even more Lynchian flair. The film never felt quite as unhinged and unsettled as it wanted to be.

Yowzers! Am I wrong to think this movie will drop precipitously next weekend? The bigger the gross this weekend, the likelier the chances of a big drop, I guess, but I'll be really surprised if word of mouth on this film isn't at least somewhat negative. Whatever one thinks of the quality of the film, it's SUCH a downer, and I still can't believe women like it, although RJkolb has proved me wrong!:)

My fiancee really, really enjoyed it, and it also seemed that the other women at my screening were having a great time, and walked out with lots of enthusiastic chatter. Given what I'd heard about SHUTTER ISLAND, I actually expected it to be darker. Yes, the final reveal and ending is quite dark, but that kind of scene isn't entirely unanticipated. Regarding next weekend's box office, I suspect that there won't be such a sharp drop, and that word of mouth will carry this film to an admirable take. The film deserves it, too; it's pretty good.

#43 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips of At The Movies both gave it a thumbs down* last night, mostly on the basis that it is predictable and that they saw the "twist" coming from a mile away.

Is there some kind of an M. Night code of conduct to Shutter Island that I'm missing? I honestly didn't feel the "twist" was as important as the mood. In fact, dare I say, it didn't have a twist and that's a poor scale to measure it on.

* oops sorry, that would be "Skip It," as the thumbs are some kind of patent still held by Roger

Edited by Persona, 21 February 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#44 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,462 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

Is there some kind of an M. Night code of conduct to Shutter Island that I'm missing? I honestly didn't feel the "twist" was as important as the mood.

Agreed. And while the central twist was a bit expected, I thought the final twist (included in the last scene) more than made it all worthwhile.

Edited by Ryan H., 21 February 2010 - 12:38 PM.

#45 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,199 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

Is there some kind of an M. Night code of conduct to Shutter Island that I'm missing? I honestly didn't feel the "twist" was as important as the mood.

Agreed. And while the central twist was a bit expected, I thought the final twist (included in the last scene) more than made it all worthwhile.

Do you mean
Spoiler
or that
Spoiler

#46 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,462 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Do you mean
Spoiler
or that
Spoiler

Neither. I mean the revelation that
Spoiler
Brilliant final narrative maneuver.

#47 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,199 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

Do you mean
Spoiler
or that
Spoiler

Neither. I mean the revelation that
Spoiler

Um, okay. How did you get to that conclusion?

#48 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

That was the conclusion I got to as well. I've already forgotten the film though, so I can't remember why.

#49 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,462 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

mean the revelation that

Spoiler

Um, okay. How did you get to that conclusion?

Three things.
Spoiler

Edited by Ryan H., 21 February 2010 - 04:20 PM.

#50 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,199 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

That was the conclusion I got to as well. I've already forgotten the film though, so I can't remember why.

Spoiler

I guess I see how Ryan's interpretation could be right, just not that it necessarily has to be, unless there was something I missed.

#51 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,462 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

Spoiler

The book ends with that simple suggestion, but they've changed the ending for the film in some key ways. For what it's worth, the screenwriter of SHUTTER ISLAND, Laeta Kalogridis, supports my interpretation of that last scene.

I guess I see how Ryan's interpretation could be right, just not that it necessarily has to be, unless there was something I missed.

It doesn't have to be, but it sure makes a lot of sense. The line of dialogue that they give DiCaprio in that scene is a pretty heavy hint (the line isn't in the book).

Edited by Ryan H., 21 February 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#52 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 740 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

OMG, did anybody else read I Am the Cheese in junior high? This movie is that, only less edifying.

Ryan's interpretation of the final scene is persuasive, but it introduces even more questions, such as
Spoiler

Edited by Nathaniel, 21 February 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#53 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,615 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

Good point, Nate. The "monster" line is kind of perplexing, since the, um, deed that got the, um, person into that situation isn't really all that monstrous to begin with -- it's a RESPONSE to monstrosity, and a passionate, reflexive response at that. But perhaps we are supposed to think of everything that has happened in the interim as the "monstrosity". Perhaps what is "monstrous" is not the one (somewhat understandable) evil deed but the inability to live with that (somewhat understandable) deed and the lengths to which someone will go to avoid facing the fact that they committed that one single (and somewhat understandable) deed. In which case the character in question does seem to be going to even FURTHER lengths in the end.

#54 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,462 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

Well,
Spoiler

Edited by Ryan H., 21 February 2010 - 07:03 PM.

#55 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 740 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

Well,

Spoiler

Okay, but
Spoiler

Edited by Nathaniel, 21 February 2010 - 07:24 PM.

#56 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

Because it's available and convenient and others will do the work for him.

#57 Christian

Christian

• 10,817 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

Good point, Nate. The "monster" line is kind of perplexing, since the, um, deed that got the, um, person into that situation isn't really all that monstrous to begin with

It's not his act that he can't live with. It's his
Spoiler

#58 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,615 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:21 AM

Christian, if your interpretation is correct, then what do you do with that final line of dialogue?

#59 Christian

Christian

• 10,817 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

Christian, if your interpretation is correct, then what do you do with that final line of dialogue?

Is the final line the
Spoiler
?

I may be thinking more of the book here, but in the movie, Ben Kingsley's character lays out the details that back my interpretation, IIRC. It comes in a torrent of quick dialogue
Spoiler
, so it might easily be overlooked. I don't have the script in front of me, of course, but I remember hearing the rationale laid out by the doctor.

#60 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,615 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

Yes, that's the final line. I'm curious to know what the character who SAYS that line MEANS by it, if the "monstrosity" at issue is where you locate it.