2008/9 Top100 Nominations

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 paul1149

paul1149

• 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

The Perfect Stranger
(This is not the Halle Berry feature film, Perfect Stranger)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466923/

Arts & Faith topic URL: Looks like I don't have permission to start such a thread.

This movie has rapidly become perhaps my favorite. Based on the novel, Dinner With a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory, a lawyer gets an invitation to dinner with "Jesus Christ". Thinking it's a joke by her husband, she shows up. The ensuing conversation, which constitutes 90% of the film, starts off antagonistically, progresses to meaningfulness and trust, and leads to the lawyer's personal devotion to Christ. In the process we are treated to a wonderful apologetics exposition.

You can see the whole film, albeit with dumbed-down fidelity, on YouTube. Go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466923/ and then follow up with all nine segments.

#42 Jackie Lent

Jackie Lent

• 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

In response to the following: QUOTE (Alan Thomas @ Mar 15 2008, 02:54 PM)
"Heck, I can't even get the definition of "2006" correct, and you expect me to define terms like "spiritual" and "significant". C'mon!

But, in any cae, in keeping wth A&F tradition: I adamantly refuse to define "spiritually significant". I furthermore believe that this ambiguity is one of the keys to the list's success."

Your point re: 'ambiguity' is well taken. But I disagree that offering a definition of spirituality limits it. Perhaps the confusion lies in the false perception that spirituality is a noun. It clearly is not. Rather, it is a verb which denotes an 'openness of spirit' to higher awareness / consciousness. That said, the mysterious & myriad of avenues to experiencing this 'openness of spirit' is where the 'subjectivity comes into play.

A simple definition of a 'spiritually significant' film might be one which has stimulated the imagination of the viewer and impacted their soul in some manner.

By way of example, some of us may have had our consciousness raised by a film that others would consider dark & therefore not 'spiritually significant": i.e. The Usual Suspects. However, it could be argued that it is one of the more spiritually significant films (especially in light of the truth behind the Iraq war & Dick Cheney's control over the military, CIA & entire U.S. Administration). Why you ask? Because it puts a face on evil. To quote Kevin Spacey's character Verbal Kint: "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing man he didn't exist".

And yes, I for one do possess the 'audacity' to define spirituality, even more when its politically incorrect. For more on spiritual significance please see my blog at http://www.artsandfa..._lent/index.php?

QUOTE (Baal_T'shuvah @ Mar 16 2008, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jackie Lent @ Mar 16 2008, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your comments are nothing less than judgmental & as I have read in your comments, can't even offer a definition of what constitutes spirituality.

Judgemental? Far from it. Not that Alan needs to be defended, but he did lay out the groundwork in post #1 for how to submit a film.

One of the pleasures of this board that I have come to admire over the years is that no one (not the administrators, regular posters, etc.) has had the audacity to limit the definition of spirituality, by offering a "definitive" definition. It may seem odd, but I feel that spirituality (and this is not an attempt at definition) is much like comedy - completely subjective. What moves one person spiritually may not move another. But I am not going to say that because a certain film or piece of music, art, etc. does not move me spiritually, doesn't mean I am going to fault someone who is spiritually moved by the same. That is why there is such a wide variety of films on the list above, and I applaude A&F for not giving a specic definition.

QUOTE (Baal_T'shuvah @ Mar 16 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (David Smedberg @ Mar 16 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While there are some of us who might disagree that spirituality is completely subjective, there doesn't seem to be any possibility of offering a precise definition of a word which has none. "Spirituality" seems to me to be roughly analogous in matters of the soul to "health" in matters of the body...in others words "spirituality" seems to me to encompass everything which is good for your soul.

Which is one reason why I love the title of Ron's blog, "Soul Food"...it gives a taste of what at least I feel like I'm looking for when I participate in a discussion like this.

Thanks for bringing this back up. I have been thinking about my use of the word "completely" ever since I posted earlier today... it really bugged me that at the time I could not come up with a better word to use in that part of the sentence. I've finally decided that it just doesn't belong, so I'm excising it! I too love reading Ron's blog, it gives a lot to digest. Unlike some other movie discussion boards I have gone to, I think many people come away from the A&F board with a deeper insight into the films they are researching or discussing, which I think is a rarity on the internet.

#43 Plot Device

Plot Device

• 229 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (paul1149 @ Mar 16 2008, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Perfect Stranger
(This is not the Halle Berry feature film, Perfect Stranger)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466923/

Arts & Faith topic URL: Looks like I don't have permission to start such a thread.

Ouch! That's right!! New members are required to make a minimum of (I think) 5 "reply" posts in already-established threads before they are allowed to launch their own threads.

Hmm ... Try posting here and there throughout the forum to get your "minimum" fulfilled. (Just make sure they are them "real" posts with real substance is all. Some newbs try to fake it by posting the word "Hi!" and that's it.)

Edited by Plot Device, 16 March 2008 - 06:59 PM.

#44 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,742 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Nominating Citizen Kane, Orson Welles, 1941
IMDB link
Existing A&F thread

Orson Welle's 1941 masterpiece, Citizen Kane, displays in dramatic form the outworking of the biblical saying,"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his soul?" Welle's Kane is given great wealth but little love from his mother, and spends the rest of his life conflating the two. In his attempt to make the world love him, he uses his wealth like a blunt instrument, alternatively to coax and bully. While the Deity is conspicuously absent from the narrative, the camerawork evokes the eye of God, swooping in and out of walls and windows to observe the great emptiness Kane's money could never fill.

Netflix: http://www.netflix.c...n_Kane/60000605

Edited by Buckeye Jones, 17 March 2008 - 09:37 PM.

#45 paul1149

paul1149

• 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Alan Thomas @ Mar 17 2008, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's 2, not five, but otherwise, yes.

Ok, thanks guys. I'll start a thread.

p.

#46 Plot Device

Plot Device

• 229 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Buckeye Jones @ Mar 17 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nominating Citizen Kane, Orson Welles, 1941
IMDB link
Existing A&F thread

Orson Welle's 1941 masterpiece, Citizen Kane, displays in dramatic form the outworking of the biblical saying,"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his soul?" Welle's Kane is given great wealth but little love from his mother, and spends the rest of his life conflating the two. In his attempt to make the world love him, he uses his wealth like a blunt instrument, alternatively to coax and bully. While the Deity is conspicuously absent from the narrative, the camerawork evokes the eye of God, swooping in and out of walls and windows to observe the great emptiness Kane's money could never fill.

Netflix: http://www.netflix.c...n_Kane/60000605

I second this nomination.

#47 The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man

• 505 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:16 AM

Re the earlier discussion about what exactly qualifies as spiritually significant.

How about any film that expresses or reflects the Christian worldview? I recall from the last time we voted that I hold the minority view on this, but for me, if it ain't Christian, it ain't spiritual, and I vote accordingly.

Since reading Calvin, I am also likely to vote off any film that explicitly depicts God or Christ.

And if "The Exorcist" doesn't make the list this time around I'm going to skweam and skweam until I make myself sick!

#48 Jim Janknegt

Jim Janknegt

• 214 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (The Invisible Man @ Mar 29 2008, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since reading Calvin, I am also likely to vote off any film that explicitly depicts God or Christ.

Are you an iconclast? I recently read Calvin's Institutes about images and was surprised to find out that he had his facts wrong. He states in Chapter XI,
. First, then, if we attach any weight to the authority of the ancient Church, let us remember, that for five hundred years, during which religion was in a more prosperous condition, and a purer doctrine flourished, Christian churches were completely free from visible representations

I had the privilege of recently visiting the Kimbell Art Museum where the exhibit "Picturing the Bible" was on display. The exhibit was made up of the earliest Christian art from the mid 3rd through the 6th century. It was a remarkable exhibit paintings, sculptures, manuscripts, silverwork and glass work all making visible the gospel. I wonder what Calvin would have thought had he been able to see this exhibit? Would a difference in the facts have changed his mind about the use of images in the church?

Have you ever read St. John Damacene's defence of images? It is worth checking out here.

#49 Jackie Lent

Jackie Lent

• 16 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (Jackie Lent @ Mar 16 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In response to the following: QUOTE (Alan Thomas @ Mar 15 2008, 02:54 PM)
"Heck, I can't even get the definition of "2006" correct, and you expect me to define terms like "spiritual" and "significant". C'mon!

But, in any cae, in keeping wth A&F tradition: I adamantly refuse to define "spiritually significant". I furthermore believe that this ambiguity is one of the keys to the list's success."

Your point re: 'ambiguity' is well taken. But I disagree that offering a definition of spirituality limits it. Perhaps the confusion lies in the false perception that spirituality is a noun. It clearly is not. Rather, it is a verb which denotes an 'openness of spirit' to higher awareness / consciousness. That said, the mysterious & myriad of avenues to experiencing this 'openness of spirit' is where the 'subjectivity comes into play.

A simple definition of a 'spiritually significant' film might be one which has stimulated the imagination of the viewer and impacted their soul in some manner.

By way of example, some of us may have had our consciousness raised by a film that others would consider dark & therefore not 'spiritually significant": i.e. The Usual Suspects. However, it could be argued that it is one of the more spiritually significant films (especially in light of the truth behind the Iraq war & Dick Cheney's control over the military, CIA & entire U.S. Administration). Why you ask? Because it puts a face on evil. To quote Kevin Spacey's character Verbal Kint: "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing man he didn't exist".

And yes, I for one do possess the 'audacity' to define spirituality, even more when its politically incorrect. For more on spiritual significance please see my blog at http://www.artsandfa..._lent/index.php?

QUOTE (Baal_T'shuvah @ Mar 16 2008, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jackie Lent @ Mar 16 2008, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your comments are nothing less than judgmental & as I have read in your comments, can't even offer a definition of what constitutes spirituality.

Judgemental? Far from it. Not that Alan needs to be defended, but he did lay out the groundwork in post #1 for how to submit a film.

One of the pleasures of this board that I have come to admire over the years is that no one (not the administrators, regular posters, etc.) has had the audacity to limit the definition of spirituality, by offering a "definitive" definition. It may seem odd, but I feel that spirituality (and this is not an attempt at definition) is much like comedy - completely subjective. What moves one person spiritually may not move another. But I am not going to say that because a certain film or piece of music, art, etc. does not move me spiritually, doesn't mean I am going to fault someone who is spiritually moved by the same. That is why there is such a wide variety of films on the list above, and I applaude A&F for not giving a specic definition.

QUOTE (Baal_T'shuvah @ Mar 16 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (David Smedberg @ Mar 16 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While there are some of us who might disagree that spirituality is completely subjective, there doesn't seem to be any possibility of offering a precise definition of a word which has none. "Spirituality" seems to me to be roughly analogous in matters of the soul to "health" in matters of the body...in others words "spirituality" seems to me to encompass everything which is good for your soul.

Which is one reason why I love the title of Ron's blog, "Soul Food"...it gives a taste of what at least I feel like I'm looking for when I participate in a discussion like this.

Thanks for bringing this back up. I have been thinking about my use of the word "completely" ever since I posted earlier today... it really bugged me that at the time I could not come up with a better word to use in that part of the sentence. I've finally decided that it just doesn't belong, so I'm excising it! I too love reading Ron's blog, it gives a lot to digest. Unlike some other movie discussion boards I have gone to, I think many people come away from the A&F board with a deeper insight into the films they are researching or discussing, which I think is a rarity on the internet.

Hooray!!! You've made my weekend. Thanks for participating in this exercise of spiritual consciousness raising (a.k.a.critical thinking via discernment). It's wonderful to learn that despite differences of opinions, others too are inspired to engage in dialogue that is not limited to literal dogmatism.

#50 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Quiz Show
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110932/
(Not sure there is an exlusive thread for it)
Set amidst the game show scandals of the 50's, this 1994 film finds its delight in the constant emergence of classical ethical questions within a new cultural climate. Here, a college professor's temptation to become a game show sensation is not about merely telling the truth but being true to one's self. Redford is stylish and sensitive at the helm of his best film. Morrow, Fiennes, Turturro, and the late Paul Scofield make this a superbly acted and personal modern tragedy.
Netflix: 1459771138

#51 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,859 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

It seems like a pretty good list of nominations. I had a couple of potential titles, but what with one thing and another and another during the nomination-period, was unable to put together a complete nomination post. So they can wait until next time.

#52 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,742 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

Busy at home? You have that kid yet?

#53 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,094 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

Longford
http://imdb.com/title/tt0759612/
http://artsandfaith....showtopic=18117

#54 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,094 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Alan Thomas @ Apr 21 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Longford isn't eligibe yet, Steve; the US non-festival premiere was in February 2007.

Oh, I didn't realize we were going by U.S. dates.

#55 nathaniel chapman

nathaniel chapman

• 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

"The Evangelist" Story of a kid who goes on a religious crusade in his town and tries to convert everyone.

theevangelistmovie.wordpress.com