Photo

The Avengers (2012)

Joss Whedon

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#41 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

I gotta say, though, that I kind of agree with Drew McWeeny: "The real shame of it is that I thought they had the cast right. Whoever you cast as Banner needs to be able to stand toe-to-toe with Robert Downey Jr. and look like he can actually hold his own in an intellectual back and forth with the guy. I would love for the human scenes in the film to be as exciting as any of the superhero stuff, and I hope when Marvel does hire a new Banner, they end up with someone who brings real weight to the table."

Wow. This news is really bumming me out today. I too agree with the quote above.

#42 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Edward Norton has released his official statement on the casting brouhaha, and it's a pretty graceful one.

Wow. You were not kidding. I wish Marvel's comment had been as thoughtful.

#43 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Mark Ruffalo? I like Ruffalo and think he could do fine, but no Norton still has me bummed.

#44 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,401 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Joss tweets from Comic-con:

"Can I make that an official thing? I am directing THE AVENGERS!"

"What interested me is these people (Avengers) shouldn't be in the same room as one another & that to me is the definition of family."

#45 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,025 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

Links? Tweets are notoriously ephemeral.

#46 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,401 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

They're still coming in.

#47 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,025 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

Overstreet wrote:
: They're still coming in.

Right, but that's just a general link. The relevant posts will quickly disappear into the ether of the past unless we link to them directly. (Of course, it doesn't help that Twitter doesn't allow you to click back and forth from one tweet to the next.)

Oh, and is that actually Joss doing the tweeting? It looks more like a fan operation. That, or he likes to talk about himself in the third person a lot.

#48 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,860 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

Overstreet wrote:
: They're still coming in.

Right, but that's just a general link. The relevant posts will quickly disappear into the ether of the past unless we link to them directly. (Of course, it doesn't help that Twitter doesn't allow you to click back and forth from one tweet to the next.)

Oh, and is that actually Joss doing the tweeting? It looks more like a fan operation. That, or he likes to talk about himself in the third person a lot.

Joss never tweets for himself.

Here's the story & official video of Joss making the announcement from the EW site:

Following months of speculation, Whedon confirmed that he is, indeed, directing Marvel’s superhero-team-up movie, The Avengers. (See video of the announcement below.) But he said it’s still too early to get into details about the film, which will unite such beloved Marvel heroes as Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Hulk. ”I’m still writing an outline,” Whedon said. “But the thing that made me excited to do it was just how completely counterintuitive it is. It makes no sense. These people shouldn’t be in the same room, let alone on the same team.” He paused. “And that, to me, is the very definition of family,” he added wryly.

Edited by BethR, 22 July 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#49 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,146 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Joss Whedon's happy with casting Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo

#50 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,992 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Breaking news: Marvel has just released design sketches for Captain America's outfit in the Avengers movie...

Posted Image

#51 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

Seriously? That looks terrible. Does he have a booster rocket on his hand? (edit: or a repulser beam or shwatever it's called)

Edited by Cunningham, 26 September 2010 - 07:26 PM.

#52 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,525 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Gotta be fan made. It's just the Iron Man suit with a new coat of paint and a shield.

#53 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

It might help him. I mean, does Captain America even have any super powers besides hiding behind his shield all the time?

#54 Evan Day

Evan Day

• 71 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:37 AM

It might help him. I mean, does Captain America even have any super powers besides hiding behind his shield all the time?

Well...

Technically, Cap's powers are described as "peak human" but that's peak human in theoretical terms. Imagine a guy able to leave Usain Bolt in the dust, out lift an Olympic weight lifter, more agile than any gymnast, and to top it off, trained to the peak of his abilities and able to apply his mind strategically to any situation instantly (the serum has been said to improve brain function as well as physical strength in modern comics). According to the comics, he's been show to bench press 1100 pounds (500 kg) and run a mile (1.6 km) in little more than a minute.

In other words, he's not superman by any stretch, but he's in a weight class above say, Batman.

#55 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,992 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

Twas a joke, people.

#56 techne

techne

• 384 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

at least that suit would have saved/ could save him from dying. again.

#57 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,222 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:32 AM

at least that suit would have saved/ could save him from dying. again.

BURRRRN!!

#58 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,025 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

Mark Ruffalo on ‘Exactly’ Playing the Hulk in The Avengers
In the two Incredible Hulk movies of the past decade, stars Edward Norton and Eric Bana played Bruce Banner but let the effects crew worry about the big green guy. In Marvel's upcoming The Avengers, though, Mark Ruffalo will actually play the Hulk: "I'm really excited. No one's ever played the Hulk exactly, they've always done CGI," he told us at last night's Launch of Farmhearts at Pure Yoga. "They're going to do the Avatar stop-action, stop-motion capture. So I'll actually play the Hulk. That'll be fun." . . .
Vulture, New York, September 24

#59 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,100 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:33 AM

Mark Ruffalo on ‘Exactly’ Playing the Hulk in The Avengers
In the two Incredible Hulk movies of the past decade, stars Edward Norton and Eric Bana played Bruce Banner but let the effects crew worry about the big green guy. In Marvel's upcoming The Avengers, though, Mark Ruffalo will actually play the Hulk: "I'm really excited. No one's ever played the Hulk exactly, they've always done CGI," he told us at last night's Launch of Farmhearts at Pure Yoga. "They're going to do the Avatar stop-action, stop-motion capture. So I'll actually play the Hulk. That'll be fun." . . .
Vulture, New York, September 24

...well, there was that Ferrigno chap.

("Stop-action, stop-motion capture"???)

#60 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

...well, there was that Ferrigno chap.

I wonder if he means that, unlike any of the other portrayals, he'll be Banner AND the Hulk. The film versions just relied on CGI, and TV show had the Bill Bixby/Ferrigno swapping.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joss Whedon