Arkham Horror

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,706 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

On a $50 whim (somewhat fueled by the economic stimulus check), I bought the Arkham Horror board game. It's bulky, for sure, and very "fiddly" (as board games geeks say...LOTS of little pieces).

But it's a lot of fun. It has a role-playing game element to it, as everyone plays an investigator with fairly unique personalities, attributes, etc. It's set in the 1920s in the fictional Massachusetts town of Arkham, and the players (who all work together) have to stop the extra-dimensional madness that's slowly engulfing the town.

It's rules heavy, but very well-thought out. And while I merely respect H.P. Lovecraft's work (not like), the setting and atmosphere are perfect. And it's a great co-op game (1 to 8 players), not easy at all and very rewarding if you DO win. There's a HUGE amount of replay value too, since there's a lot of randomization in the game.

Here's a link for the site.

http://www.fantasyfl...khamhorror.html

#2 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,498 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

My wife bought this for me as a surprise not long ago. I'm finding it very daunting, and haven't yet been determined enough to learn all the rules. Is there an ideal number of players?

#3 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,706 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

My wife bought this for me as a surprise not long ago. I'm finding it very daunting, and haven't yet been determined enough to learn all the rules. Is there an ideal number of players?

Three or four players are the sweet spot. Otherwise, you're going to have a very long night ahead of you. Honestly, try playing the game through a few times by yourself, too; the game works well with only one, and it's a good way to slog through the rules.

Board Game Geek has a few incredibly helpful files. The two worth checking out are the first on that list, by Universal Head (he does great rules summaries for lots of games); and the flowchart, third on the list. I still use the flowchart just to speed things up. It's really, really useful.