• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

<i>Doctor Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog</i> is a three-part musical series of webisodes about "a low-rent super-villain, the hero who keeps beating him up, and the cute girl from the laundromat he’s too shy to talk to."

The teaser <a href="http://www.vimeo.com/1227202" target="_blank">has just surfaced</a>.

More info <a href="http://doctorhorrible.net/" target="_blank">here</a>.

(Note: I posted this in "Television and Radio" even though this is actually a web-based series.)

Edited by opus, 06 April 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,040 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

Fantastic.

Thanks.

Edited by Overstreet, 25 June 2008 - 05:54 PM.

#3 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Proof that Whedon is pretty much the coolest: Joss Whedon to Record First-Ever Musical DVD Commentary!

Joss Whedon gave TV Guide an exclusive look at his new musical, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (which is just the most awesomest title in the history of EVER!), and in an interview with the director, he says the DVD (which he hopes will make a little money so that the people who worked on this thing for nada can get something back) will include "A musical commentary that is a completely original musical, that is all commentary songs, and we're writing that now." He adds, "We're just piling it on. We're like, we're going to make more fun of the idea of extras than anything else."

#4 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,040 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

The Hollywood Reporter... reports!

With SAG and the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers still at odds over new-media residuals (among other things), Joss Whedon is ready to see just how viable the Internet is as a business model.

The CAA-repped multihyphenate screened his latest creation, "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog," to an invitation-only crowd of cast and industry professionals Thursday night at CAA before Act 1 of 3 officially streams online Tuesday at DrHorrible.com.

Whedon conceived the hourlong "supervillain musical" during the 100-day WGA strike and funded the production, which cost in the low-six-figures, with "Girl Scout cookies."

"We didn't think about making money," Whedon said of the project that initially was conceived as a podcast. "I did it as a Web thing because I didn't want something so big that it wouldn't work on the Internet.

#5 livingeleven

livingeleven

• 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hey! This launches tomorrow. smile.gif

#6 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,671 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:48 AM

I guess this started streaming from the website at midnight, EST. I caught it before I went to bed last night and, after initially not finding the opening sequence un-funny, fell in love with it pretty quickly. The songs really are great.

#7 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,849 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

Now available for viewers outside the USA: info.

Act I very amusing!

Edited by BethR, 15 July 2008 - 07:41 AM.

#8 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

I purchased a season pass, got Act One, watched it, LOVED it... and it promptly DISAPPEARED from my iTunes.

I thought that I was purchasing a copy to keep. Does it self-destruct after a viewing?

It's listed in my Purchase History as a Season Pass, but it doesn't show up in my TV library.

Anybody know what went wrong? Or is this just how it works?

#9 smith_chip

smith_chip

• 93 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (Overstreet @ Jul 16 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody know what went wrong? Or is this just how it works?

No idea, but Act 2 is live now.

#10 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,671 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

Act Two is great I couldn't stop laughing at some of the little things (like when Moist is having a hard time opening the mason jar). There's one bluntly racy punch-line, but geez...it works. I laughed all morning over it.

#11 Wilson Smith

Wilson Smith

• 46 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

Jeffrey, the exact same thing happened to me. I have no idea what's going on.

#12 livingeleven

livingeleven

• 67 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

Hey. Neil Patrick Harris can sing.

That is him singing, right?

#13 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,040 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:23 PM

I found it. I did C-drive search for "Horrible" and it popped up. It was in the folder for TV Shows, but it just wasn't showing up in my iTunes Library anywhere. So I dragged it from Windows "My Documents" into my Itunes app, and it showed up again.

Weird.

My season pass alert arrived properly, and Act 2 downloaded just fine.

#14 livingeleven

livingeleven

• 67 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

I shared this with a co-worker who I know to be a fellow Joss Whedon fan, and she was rather delighted. I'm really liking how polished and silly both episodes have been. Some great lines and just overall fun!

Yeah, they'll be getting my money for a DVD...

And I'm glad to hear that things worked out, Jeffrey!

Edited by livingeleven, 18 July 2008 - 08:54 PM.

#15 BethR

BethR

• 2,849 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:32 AM

Act III is brilliant. Joss Whedon knows what's what.
Bring on the DVDs, promised to be crammed with special featury goodness.

#16 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

This was great! From Doogie Howser to Harold and Kumar to singing supervillian, is there anything Neil Patrick Harris can't do?

Now if only Joss Whedon can "reimagine" a new version of Cop Rock? wink.gif

#17 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

At the end of the series, all Renae and I could say was, "Joss Whedon, you sadistic @#$%&?!"

We should've know that he'd kill off at least one of major characters before he was through.

#18 BethR

BethR

• 2,849 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (opus @ Jul 22 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the end of the series, all Renae and I could say was, "Joss Whedon, you sadistic @#$%&?!"

We should've know that he'd kill off at least one of major characters before he was through.

That's what a lot of fans are saying. I'm seeing a funny (odd) parallel between fans (not you, I'm sure) who say "Joss is god" and people (again, not you) who say God is sadistic. There may be redemption in Joss Whedon's fictional world, but there actions/choices also always have consequences. Major character was doomed from the moment in act II that Billy chose to pursue Horrible revenge rather than true love...but by that time, we viewers were caught up in his dorky evil charm and musical-ness and overlooking the fact that his bloggings were eerily similar to the records left by the Columbine and Virginia Tech shooters. We hear "musical" and think "Oh--Sound of Music! Mary Poppins"--but tragedy can also be set to music, only usually it's called "opera". Twisting genres since 1992--Joss Whedon, people!

#19 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (BethR @ Jul 22 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There may be redemption in Joss Whedon's fictional world, but there actions/choices also always have consequences.

And that's why we keep coming back for more.

BTW, have you see this? (Warning: contains spoilers)

#20 livingeleven

livingeleven

• 67 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:01 AM

From the Chicago Tribune. A coworker gave this to me tonight.

Joss and Co. break...the Internets?

Funnily enough, the first-day freeze was the reason I bought it on iTunes.