Photo

Merlin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,878 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:10 AM

Links to our threads on Arthurian derivatives Caliber (what if Arthur were a 19th-century gunslinger?), King Arthur (2004; what if Arthur were really a Roman general?), The Last Legion (2007; what if Arthur were really the son of a Roman emperor?), Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) and Roundtable (what if the Arthurian knights were modern-day ghostbusters?).

- - -

Hurt takes on dragon in 'Merlin'
John Hurt, Santiago Cabrera and Michelle Ryan have joined the cast of BBC1 fantasy drama "Merlin," which will air on NBC.
Hurt will voice the Great Dragon, while Cabrera ("Heroes") will play Lancelot.
British actress Ryan, last seen in NBC's remake of "Bionic Woman," will play the sorceress Nimueh.
Created and produced by Elisabeth Murdoch's growing U.K. shingle Shine Television, "Merlin" will premiere in the U.K. in September on BBC1, before airing on NBC this winter in a Sunday evening slot. . . .
Variety, July 22

John Hurt breathes fire into 'Merlin'
Other cast members of the series, which details the life of Arthur long before he becomes king, include Richard Wilson as Gaius, Anthony Head as King Uther Pendragon, Colin Morgan as the young wizard Merlin and Bradley James as the arrogant, brave Prince Arthur.
Hollywood Reporter, July 22

#2 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,813 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

"Nimueh"???
I've seen Nimue, Niniane, Vivian, Viviane, Vivien, and some other variations, but this one seems unusually awkward. Whatever!

#3 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

After watching the first episode, I think it's going to be Heroes: Medieval Edition.

#4 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,813 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (Darrel Manson @ Jul 4 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After watching the first episode, I think it's going to be Heroes: Medieval Edition.

After watching a few episodes (up to "Lancelot"--surely not a spoiler--you knew he'd turn up eventually) I'm thinking more "Camelot 90210" or "Gossip Knights."

A person can learn about as much about medieval life and/or Arthurian legends from this show as one can learn about medieval history and/or Robin Hood legends from BBC Robin Hood. For some reason, I'm finding Merlin more watchable than Robin Hood--maybe it's Anthony Stewart Head doing his high-toned mean-dad shtick. Maybe it's the irrepressible Colin Wilson. Because the plots and writing are generally ridiculous.

Edited by BethR, 06 July 2009 - 06:47 AM.

#5 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,790 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

Poor King Arthur. Betrayed by his wife, his best friend, his nephew/son, and then came Hollywood and television.

#6 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

Intrigued by the presence of Anthony Stewart Head, we started recording this series on our DVR, but never really got around to watching it. I did, however, watch the last few minutes of the Lancelot episode, which was enough to convince me that I should really free up that DVR space for more National Geographic specials on secret Nazi military projects and unexplained medieval codices.

#7 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (SDG @ Jul 6 2009, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Poor King Arthur. Betrayed by his wife, his best friend, his nephew/son, and then came Hollywood and television.

I knew you'd be a real fan of this one.

#8 pilgrimscrybe

pilgrimscrybe

• 36 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (BethR @ Jul 6 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Darrel Manson @ Jul 4 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After watching a few episodes (up to "Lancelot"--surely not a spoiler--you knew he'd turn up eventually) I'm thinking more "Camelot 90210" or "Gossip Knights."

Heh, I find it's more like an illegitimate offspring of Xena and First Knight. Yet, we can't stop watching, ack.