#21 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Did anybody else watch the finale?

#22 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

Vague spoilers ahead, I guess.

I did and I really enjoyed it. I thought this was a terrific season, one that followed the next logical steps of the narrative but managed to subvert my expectations almost every week.

It was bizarre (and fun) to see Don acting giddy (and positively un-Don-like) throughout the finale. Most of the characters (Don, Peggy, Joan, Betty, etc.) are embarking on something new at the end of season 4 and I can't wait to see where they are when season 5 begins. I'm betting some (or all) of these situations will not be good.

The season opened with the question, "Who is Don Draper?" and I think Don and the audience got a few more pieces to that puzzle this year, but at season's end is he bouncing back or is this only a temporary respite in his life's unfortunate descent?

There were some terrific episodes this season. "The Suitcase" aka the one with Don and Peggy ranks among the best of the series so far. While I sort of halfheartedly watched/skimmed previous seasons, this season made me a true fan. I'll definitely take some time to more seriously revisit the first three seasons while we wait for season number five.

What'd everyone else think?

#23 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 511 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

I loved this season. It's been the richest, most cinematically satisfying American production I've seen this year, on TV or film. "The Suitcase" is one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen, period. And the Don/Peggy relationship is probably my favourite established pairing of any two actors working right now.

I love how the show takes the classical Hollywood filmmaking style and seems to invigorate it. Jim Emerson often posts on the show's formal elements; this one does a great job revealing just how much care goes into every shot.

I really hope they get Slattery on a few more directing gigs next year.

Edited by N.W. Douglas, 22 October 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#24 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,509 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

#25 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,128 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

Awesome. Netflix Instant just acquired "Mad Men." Now I'll finally get to watch it.

#26 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,509 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

Huh. The first four seasons have been available on Netflix.ca ever since we started subscribing back in October (or was it September)? I've been meaning to watch them but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

So for once, the Canadians got something before the Americans did! Hooray!

Correction: The first THREE seasons were available when Netflix came to Canada back in September. I guess the fourth season was added later.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 05 April 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#27 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,161 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Awesome. Netflix Instant just acquired "Mad Men." Now I'll finally get to watch it.

Well, you will in 4 months.

#28 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,785 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

And those 4 months have passed; Mad Men is now streaming on Netflix in the U.S.

Looking forward to checking it out.

Edited by NBooth, 27 July 2011 - 12:11 PM.

#29 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:06 AM

And those 4 months have passed; Mad Men is now streaming on Netflix in the U.S.

Looking forward to checking it out.

Nice.

#30 Jacques

Jacques

• 129 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

The Erotic Theology of Mad Men via Michael P. Foley at First Things.

#31 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Reading the comments at that First Things article looks like a discussion we might have had around here, oh, I don't know-- eight or nine years ago.

#32 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

We're two seasons into Mad Men. Today someone asked me to name my favorite character. My surprising answer: Jimmy Barrett.

The link seems to indicate that I've seen the last of Jimmy, although a co-worker insists he shows up again in later seasons. I hope so.

Of course, I like and loathe any number of characters on this show. There are episodes that are passable, and then, just when you find yourself wondering what the big deal about the show is, an episode just crackles with dialogue, character development, and all-around style. Two seasons in, and several characters remain enigmas to me.

That's a good thing.

Edited by Christian, 11 August 2011 - 07:44 PM.

#33 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

Has AMC had too much success too soon?

This article about Frank Darabont's dismissal from "The Walking Dead" considers some of the odd decisions made by AMC, including contract disputes with "Mad Men," which is the show that put them on the map.

#34 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,426 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

AMC's decisions have me scratching my head.

Regarding MAD MEN, my thoughts are that it's a show of great moments that come in between entertaining filling. It leans a bit too heavily on the he's-sleeping-with-her plotting to stir up some easy drama. But there's plenty of good stuff throughout, even if we do have to suffer misjudged elements like Don's excursion to California and its absurd hedonistic crew, or Betty's drug-induced "fog" as she gives birth to Eugene. But despite the general strength of the show, I can see it losing steam if it goes on for too many seasons. I would have called it a day at five, actually; I'm skeptical they can make it all the way to seven without wearing out its welcome.

#35 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

We're in the home stretch of season 3, a bit past the episode where
Spoiler
. That was ... unexpected. Completely out of character for the show. But I think I liked it!

#36 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,426 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Oh, I loved that moment.

Edited by Ryan H., 29 August 2011 - 01:50 PM.

#37 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

We finished Season 3 last night. Wow, what a finale! Reflecting on the season as a whole, I wasn't fond of Don's
Spoiler
, but his wife's
Spoiler
had me rooting for her, and I say that someone who
Spoiler

I'm looking forward to Season 4.

#38 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,043 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

An excellent oral history of "The Suitcase"-- a.k.a., the best episode of season 4. Possibly the best Mad Men ever. Heck, one of the best hours of TV ever.

#39 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,925 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

We finished Season 3 last night. Wow, what a finale! Reflecting on the season as a whole, I wasn't fond of Don's

Spoiler
, but his wife's
Spoiler
had me rooting for her, and I say that someone who
Spoiler

I'm looking forward to Season 4.

And the last shot of Season 3. Gotta love it!

As for your comments about Betty are interesting. I think most people tend to get wrapped up in the mythology of Don Draper and the notion of Betty "the ice queen bitch" that they find themselves on Don's side against Betty. I think Betty and Don are both terribly flawed. Betty has failed to offer the love and maturity one would expect of a mother (her treatment of Carla is unforgivable in my mind), but we also have to realize that she's a victim of a society that gives women in her position no options and that she had a very damaging relationship with her parents. Also, I'm curious to see what you think of her relationship with Henry in Season 4, since I think it does a lot to clarify and interrogate how much of the divorce is Don's treatment of her and how much is Betty herself.

#40 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,426 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

My sympathies in regard to Betty definitely underwent a major shift in season 4.