Photo

Your Top 10 Movies of 2008 (in progress)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,269 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

Still haven't seen:

The Wrestler, Benjamin Button, Wendy and Lucy, The Reader, Captain Abu Raed, Revolutionary Road...

...for starters.

But for now, here are my TOP TEN, and ANOTHER TEN.

TOP TEN (in no particular order yet)
  • Flight of the Red Balloon
  • 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
  • Ostrov (The Island)
  • Silent Light
  • Shotgun Stories
  • Synecdoche, New York
  • Syndromes and a Century
  • Up the Yangtze
  • WALL-E

NEXT TEN (no particular order)
  • Man on Wire
  • U23D
  • The Dark Knight
  • Ballast
  • In Bruges
  • Encounters at the End of the World
  • Doubt
  • A Christmas Tale
  • The Band's Visit
  • The Visitor

On January 1, I plan to post my 2008 list, and revised versions of all lists back through 2000, at lookingcloser.org.

Edited by Overstreet, 19 December 2008 - 12:23 AM.

#22 vjmorton

vjmorton

• 512 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

Among the several 2008 New York releases that I will make an effort to see before year's end, the only two that I have high expectations for are THE CLASS and THE WRESTLER; I have low expectations for FROST/NIXON, BENJAMIN BUTTON, REVOLUTIONARY ROAD, THE READER and WENDY AND LUCY, though reportedly GRAN TORINO could be a camp masterpiece if watched drunk. So, this is only my Top 10 right now, but I don't expect too much change.

1. 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS (Cristian Mungiu, Romania)
2. SILENT LIGHT (Carlos Reygadas, Mexico/Holland)
3. RACHEL GETTING MARRIED (Jonathan Demme, USA)
4. THE DARK KNIGHT (Christopher Nolan, USA)
5. WOMAN ON THE BEACH (Hong Sang-soo, South Korea)
6. ELITE SQUAD (Jose Padilha, Brazil)
7. MY WINNIPEG (Guy Maddin, Canada)
8. TROPIC THUNDER (Ben Stiller, USA)
9. HAPPY-GO-LUCKY (Mike Leigh, Britain)
10. A CHRISTMAS TALE (Arnaud Desplechin, France)
Runners-up: STUCK (Stuart Gordon, Canada); KIT KITTREDGE: AMERICAN GIRL (Patricia Rozema, USA); BURN AFTER READING (Joel and Ethan Coen, USA); HANCOCK (Peter Berg, USA); THE EDGE OF HEAVEN (Fatih Akin, Germany/Turkey); THE DUCHESS OF LANGEAIS (Jacques Rivette, France); CHICAGO 10 (Brett Morgen, USA); DAYS OF DARKNESS (Denys Arcand, Canada)

#23 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

My caveats: Still haven't seen The Visitor, The Class, My Winnipeg ... and several others that will jostle this list down the road.

1. Silent Light
2. Wall-E
3. The Wrestler
4. Rachel Getting Married
5. The Flight of the Red Balloon
6. Tropic Thunder
7. Revolutionary Road
8. Happy-Go-Lucky
9. A Christmas Tale
10. Changeling
11. Be Kind Rewind
12. The Fall
13. In Bruges
14. Speed Racer
15. Man on Wire
16. Doubt
17. W.
18. Che
19. Frost/Nixon
20. Let the Right One In

#24 Jana Segal

Jana Segal

• 29 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

Happy New Year film lovers!

I've heard some reviewers complain that this has been a bad year for film - some of the same reviewers that think a film can't be art unless it's edgy and vile. But if you love films that move and inspire you or films that are true expressions of the filmmaker's artistic vision (even if they make you work for it) - then this was a great year for film!

It is a pleasure to present Reel Inspiration's MOST INSPIRING FILMS OF 2008. This list is compiled of films have been promoted through our reviews on Reel Inspiration's blogs. Diverse films with entertaining, powerful stories that uplift, challenge, give hope or inspire. Some weight has been given to films that are particular relevant to the issues of our time.

I realize that there are many definitions and opinions on what makes an inspiring film. I would love to hear them! That's why I'm giving you a chance to share your favorite inspiring films. Please, take a moment to vote for your five favorites on the survey in the right column on www.reelinspiration.blogspot.com. This is important because it gives me an idea of what kind of films you would like to see reviewed. You are also encouraged to share your insights and opinions in the comment section. The survey is made up of films that Reel Inspiration friends and members have recommended on our myspace, facebook, and blogspot pages. (And some well reviewed films that I haven't had a chance to see because they haven't screened in Tucson yet.)

Please, enjoy the list of my favorite inspiring films of 2008 and take a minute to vote for your favorites too. www.reelinspiration.blogspot.com

Movie blessings in the New Year!
Jana Segal

Reel Inspiration's MOST INSPIRING FILMS OF 2008

10. Happy Go Lucky
9. Synecdoche, New York
8. Under the Same Moon (LA MISMA LUNA)
7. Slumdog Millionaire
6. The Bands Visit
5. The Visitor
4. The Secret Life of Bees
3. Frost/Nixon
2. Starting Out In the Evening
1. Milk

10. Director Mike Leigh is known for using improv to develop his scripts and to get natural dialogue and performances out of his actors. His film, "Happy Go Lucky" goes beyond that. It had me thinking after I left the theatre. How many current comedies can you say that about?

9. Charlie Kaufman's film, "Synecdoche, New York," is as challenging as the name. Kaufman literally creates a whole world and realizes his uncompromised (though somewhat depressing) creative vision. Some of the images stayed with me for days and I had real a longing to see it again.

8. The touching film, "Under the Same Moon" puts a human face on the heated debate about illegal immigrants and border issues.

7. "Slumdog Millionaire" was hard for me to sit through - watching all those horrific scenes of Indian slum children being abused. But the highly innovative story builds to a strong ending with the worthy theme of how good triumphs over adversity when you stay on your true path.

5 and 6. Music transcends racial differences and initiates human connections in, "The Visitor" and "The Bands Visit." "The Visitor" also reminds us that kindness is it's own reward - earning it the number 5 spot.

4. "The Secret Life of Bees" is a coming of age story set in the South during the Civil Rights Movement. A runaway white girl learns to cope with the painful truth and find forgiveness through the unconditional love of this uniquely liberated black family. I wanted to stay in the world of this heartwarming film and join the family.

3. "Frost/Nixon" is based on the famous news special in which English talk show host, Frost, tried to coax a confession out of Nixon for his part in Watergate. This is a particularly timely piece since many Americans can relate the feeling of losing faith in our government. I found myself rooting for this second rate talk show host to convince the intellectually superior Nixon to finally take responsibility for the cover up and hurting the American people. Compelling writing and acting. I wasn't watching actors, I was watching Frost and Nixon.

2. "Starting Out in the Evening." Andrew Wagner's sheer love of writing radiates in this deep and touching adult drama set in the dying literary world. It might be because I'm a writer, but this film lives in my heart.

1. Harvey Milk's life as the first openly gay elected official is inspiring enough. But actor Sean Penn (living the role of Harvey Milk), writer Dustin Lance Black, and director Gus Van Sant elevate this picture from a biopic to art.

ENJOY!

#25 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

1 - Defiance
2 - The Wrestler
3 - Gran Torino
4 - The Dark Knight
5 - Wall-E
6 - The Wire (Season Five)
7 - Stone of Destiny
8 - Pride and Glory
9 - Two Lovers
10 - Goodbye, Solo

11 - Bottle Shock
12 - Wendy and Lucy
13 - Body of Lies
14 - Leatherheads
15 - Seven Pounds
16 - John Adams (Miniseries)
17 - In Bruges
18 - Generation Kill (Miniseries)
19 - Get Smart
20 - Phoebe in Wonderland

21 - The Stoning of Soraya M.
22 - Cadillac Records
23 - Summer Hours
24 - Forgetting Sarah Marshall
25 - Doubt
26 - Marley & Me
27 - The Forbidden Kingdom
28 - The Bank Job
29 - Shine A Light
30 - Choke

Still To See List (25 films): 35 Shots of Rum, A Christmas Tale, The Beaches of Agnès, Birdsong, The Class, Ballast, Departures, Happy-Go-Lucky, Hunger, Lake Tahoe, Let the Right One In, Liverpool, Lorna's Silence, Man on Wire, Ponyo, Rachel Getting Married, Red Like the Sky, Revanche, The Secret Life of Bees, Séraphine, Slumdog Millionaire, The Song of Sparrows, Standard Operating Procedure, Still Walking, Surfwise

Edited by Persiflage, 18 February 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#26 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,269 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

Here's my updated top 25 (from my "big list," which is based on a film's international introduction, not the U.S. wide-release date):

• Summer Hours
  • Séraphine
  • WALL•E
  • Everlasting Moments
  • The Class
  • Lorna’s Silence
  • Heartbeat Detector
  • Rachel Getting Married
  • Man on Wire
  • Lake Tahoe
  • Up the Yangtze
  • Let the Right One In
  • The Beaches of Agnes
  • The Dark Knight
  • 35 Shots of Rum
  • Gomorrah
  • Liverpool
  • Ponyo
  • Departures
  • Phoebe in Wonderland
  • A Christmas Tale
  • Two Lovers
  • Synecdoche, New York
  • Doubt
  • The Song of Sparrows

Honorable mention:
  • Waltz With Bashir
  • U23D
  • Sparrow
  • Me and Orson Welles
  • Treeless Mountain
  • Of Time and the City
  • Julia
  • Ballast
  • Goodbye, Solo
  • Trouble the Water
  • In Bruges
  • Happy-Go-Lucky
  • Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
  • Burn After Reading
  • Tropic Thunder
  • Awake My Soul: The Story of the Sacred Harp
  • Iron Man
  • Still Walking
  • The Headless Woman
  • Food, Inc.
  • Hunger
  • Days and Clouds
  • Kung Fu Panda

Edited by Overstreet, 08 February 2012 - 10:16 PM.