The Amazing Spider-Man

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#181 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Meh. I like the cast, but I find myself unable to get excited about anything else in that trailer.

Edited by Ryan H., 07 February 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#182 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,887 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Meh. I like the cast, but I find myself unable to get excited about anything else in that trailer.

I kinda liked the alligator-in-the-sewers gag. It's old, but got a chuckle all the same.

The only thing that really excites me about this movie is Garfield. A not-mopey, not-dopey Peter Parker--which, from the little footage we see here, is what we're getting--will be a real treat to see.

There's also the possibility--remote though it may be--that the dialogue might be less teeth-gratingly awful than it was in the Raimi films. [Seriously--I really liked Spider-Man 2 when I first saw it, but recently I found it impossible to watch precisely because the dialogue was so bad] That, alone, is a chance that redeems many sorrows.

Edited by NBooth, 07 February 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#183 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,267 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

Spider-meh.

#184 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,945 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

The only thing that really excites me about this movie is Garfield. A not-mopey, not-dopey Peter Parker--which, from the little footage we see here, is what we're getting--will be a real treat to see.

There's also the possibility--remote though it may be--that the dialogue might be less teeth-gratingly awful than it was in the Raimi films. [Seriously--I really liked Spider-Man 2 when I first saw it, but recently I found it impossible to watch precisely because the dialogue was so bad] That, alone, is a chance that redeems many sorrows.

I must say, while I was sceptical that we really needed another Spider-man movie so soon, that trailer has me slightly more optimistic than I was before. It know it's trendy to pooh-pooh this film, but given Webb's previous film, I think there's reason to be cautiously optimistic that this will be fun.

I know people are tired of super-heroes, but this summer does stand a good chance of being one of the best summers for super-hero fans ever (THE AVENGERS, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, and this).

#185 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,267 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

My "meh" was for the trailer, which doesn't show me much in the way of new vision. But I'm still tremendously optimistic that Garfield will make this worthwhile.

#186 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Comics Alliance was at a press function that showed some additional footage and had this to say:

As for the footage, we were presented with the new trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man that will be made available online a little later, as well as a sizzle reel which assembled some additional moments from the film. Skeptical viewers of the initial trailer will likely be won over by quite a lot of the material in the new version, which presents a Spider-Man with far more attitude, humor and charm than we've seen in other films. In one memorable sequence, we see Spidey berate a would-be car thief for thinking he was a cop despite the fact that he's wearing a skintight red and blue costume. In the sizzle reel, Spider-Man executes what can only be described as epic spider trolling on this hapless crook. I suspect that this scene will be thought of as revelatory for Spidey fans, as the moment where the comic book hero, who's famous for his endearingly obnoxious sense of humor, finally came to life in cinema.

#187 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

My "meh" was for the trailer, which doesn't show me much in the way of new vision. But I'm still tremendously optimistic that Garfield will make this worthwhile.

Yeah, Garfield looks pretty great. As someone who was a fan of the cartoons as a kid, I'm also excited to see the Lizard!

#188 Nick Olson

Nick Olson

• 743 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

I agree with everyone's pro-Garfield sentiment, but I might even more agree with Anders' pro-Webb sentiment.

#189 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Comics Alliance was at a press function that showed some additional footage and had this to say:

... In one memorable sequence, we see Spidey berate a would-be car thief for thinking he was a cop despite the fact that he's wearing a skintight red and blue costume. In the sizzle reel, Spider-Man executes what can only be described as epic spider trolling on this hapless crook. I suspect that this scene will be thought of as revelatory for Spidey fans, as the moment where the comic book hero, who's famous for his endearingly obnoxious sense of humor, finally came to life in cinema.

Yes! That is what I've been waiting for.

#190 Anders

Anders

• 2,945 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

I agree with everyone's pro-Garfield sentiment, but I might even more agree with Anders' pro-Webb sentiment.

What can I say? A guy with that name was born to make this movie. ;)

#191 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,052 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

I don't know. Garfield doesn't feel to me like Peter Parker. And I'm more than open to a very different Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire's.

#192 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,497 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

My "meh" was for the trailer, which doesn't show me much in the way of new vision.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to display any sort of unique stylistic identity for this new take on the character and his world, and instead seems like "standard blockbuster" fare.

But I'm still tremendously optimistic that Garfield will make this worthwhile.

Yep. He's pretty much exactly my image of Peter Parker.

#193 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 335 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

The Lizard was always my favourite villain so I'm excited to see him featured.

I didn't realize until the second trailer that Gwen Stacy is Parker's love interest, not Mary Jane. I never read the comics so perhaps that's how it played out in them but I think that's an interesting choice. But it's also strange seeing Stacy working in a high-tech lab with Dr. Connors, especially if in this version Parker and Stacy are still in high school. When I was in high school I was working at Save-On-Foods.

#194 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Jean-Ralphio is the Amazing Spider-Man. Now there's a reboot I could get excited for.

#195 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,887 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Viral marketing is kicking off, and they've unlocked the first clip from the movie:

#196 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,052 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Viral marketing is kicking off, and they've unlocked the first clip from the movie:

Okay, this is the first thing I've seen so far where Garfield really clicks for me as Peter Parker. And it explains the scene in the trailer in which he drops in on Gwen's fire escape, which had been bugging me.

#197 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

I kind of realized that Peter Parker in the comics has mostly been drawn as the male equivelant of She's All That. Think about it...even in his earliest days, he was scrawny and wore big glasses...but you ix the hair and take away the glasses... leading man!

#198 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,785 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

As I wrote at Facebook: So I asked my daughter what she thought of the bit where we see Spidey swing down over the street full of cars and then back up again, and she replied, "A hundred cool." Yeah? I said. "No, a million cool," she replied. Yeah? I said. And then she began reciting the words "hundred" and "million" over and over again before she finally said "cool. That's how cool it was."

#199 Anders

Anders

• 2,945 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Is it just me or is Rhys Ifans channelling a bit of David Warner (STAR TREK V & VI, TIME AFTER TIME, TRON)?

Edited by Anders, 21 April 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#200 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,785 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Anders wrote:
: Is it just me or is Rhys Ifans channelling a bit of David Warner (STAR TREK V & VI, TIME AFTER TIME, TRON)?

Oooh...

(Warner also played a Cardassian who tortures Picard on STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, for whatever that's worth. And he was the "Evil Genius" in TIME BANDITS. Oh, and wasn't he the photographer in THE OMEN? And he's currently onscreen as Billy Zane's gun-toting butler, or whatever he is, in the re-released TITANIC...)