• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

I don't think this really took anyone by surprise, given BioWare's previous Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic and all of the rumors floating around: BioWare and LucasArts just announced Star Wars: The Old Republic, an MMORPG set 3,500 years before the events of the Star Wars movies.

Normally, MMORPGs don't do much for me, but I've been a big fan of BioWare's previous games -- the aforementioned Knights..., Jade Empire, Mass Effect -- primarily because they place so much emphasis on story and character, elements that always seem in short supply when it comes to MMORPGs.

I know Overstreet was recently bemoaning the state of the Star Wars franchise. Perhaps he should look into the video games???

#2 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,658 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (opus @ Oct 22 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know Overstreet was recently bemoaning the state of the Star Wars franchise. Perhaps he should look into the video games???

When I popped in Knights of the Old Republic for the first time in 2003, the opening alone was more interesting to me than either of the first two prequel episodes.

#3 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

The first official trailer for Star Wars: The Old Republic just debuted at E3 and it's pretty dang cool.

#4 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

That is phenomenal. I do hope it involves less running about as KOTOR.

#5 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

The trailer is out, and it speaks for itself. I played KOTOR through about every way possible, and it looks like this one will be just as captivating.

#6 Tim K

Tim K

• 47 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, never been a huge fan of MMORPG's, but one set in the Star Wars universe is something I could be interested in.

#7 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,658 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

I look at this preview, and I look back at the intro to KOTOR, and I wonder at the possibilities for more "good" Star Wars films. Films in the vein that Lucas talked about after the first one was released - the "I can outdo your Star Wars film" tangent.

#8 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

I look at this preview, and I look back at the intro to KOTOR, and I wonder at the possibilities for more "good" Star Wars films. Films in the vein that Lucas talked about after the first one was released - the "I can outdo your Star Wars film" tangent.

I prefer the first trailer, but this one's pretty sweet, too. I mentioned this on Opus, but I'd gladly watch a movie that was made out of cinematics such as these. There's a sense of epic drama there that was sorely lacking from the prequels. Oh, and the action sequences are sweeeeeeeet.

I'm normally not a fan of MMORPGs either, but this one looks impressive and it's from BioWare, who can do no wrong in my book.

Edited by opus, 18 June 2010 - 07:02 AM.

#9 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,526 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

Well, I certainly enjoyed that trailer (and the first one you posted, Opus). Makes me think of all the things the prequels could have/should have been.

#10 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

I'm curious if anyone's gotten in to SWTOR. It's the first MMO I've ever actually played. I was drawn in by the promise that there was a strong emphasis on story and there in fact is a "class quest" that has a consistent storyline.

But it mostly feels like a great way for groups to get together and kill bad guys, a la World of Warcraft (though it's an awful lot of fun and the environments are pretty darned good).

If others are playing it, maybe we should make an A&F Guild. :)

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,030 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:10 AM

Ahem. (And link to the previous duplicate thread.)

#12 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Peter:

I live in fear of getting an Ahem. How do we solve the problem?

#13 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

An A&F MMO Guild would probably be the one thing that would compel me to pick up an MMO again.

#14 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

An A&F MMO Guild would probably be the one thing that would compel me to pick up an MMO again.

Agreed 100%. (Though I'm more inclined to see this happen on one of the "free" MMOs, like City of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Online, or D&D Online.)

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,030 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

Greg Wolfe wrote:
: I live in fear of getting an Ahem. How do we solve the problem?

Um, not sure what you mean. By "the problem", that is.

If you mean "how do we find existing threads before starting new ones", I found the two (not one, but two!) existing threads by searching for "Republic" in the thread title, using the A&F advanced search controls.

But if you mean "how do we (re)unify discussion of this subject into a single thread", or something like that, then I normally just add my two bits in the original thread, sometimes with a link to the duplicate thread that I'm responding to. Assuming I *have* two bits to add, that is.

#16 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Well, I thought I needed to delete a couple of these threads and merge them somehow -- though that is currently beyond my technical capability.

I just don't know the board etiquette on this, though from what you say it's a little more relaxed than I imagined.

Greg Wolfe wrote:
: I live in fear of getting an Ahem. How do we solve the problem?

Um, not sure what you mean. By "the problem", that is.

If you mean "how do we find existing threads before starting new ones", I found the two (not one, but two!) existing threads by searching for "Republic" in the thread title, using the A&F advanced search controls.

But if you mean "how do we (re)unify discussion of this subject into a single thread", or something like that, then I normally just add my two bits in the original thread, sometimes with a link to the duplicate thread that I'm responding to. Assuming I *have* two bits to add, that is.

#17 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,030 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Greg Wolfe wrote:
: Well, I thought I needed to delete a couple of these threads and merge them somehow -- though that is currently beyond my technical capability.

Oh, if anything, I'd say one should do the opposite: keep the original thread exactly where it is (because there might be links to it) and merge any new threads INTO the old thread, rather than vice versa.

But while mergers HAVE happened, the tendency over the years has been to "close" the duplicate threads, rather than merge anything.

#18 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Oh, if anything, I'd say one should do the opposite: keep the original thread exactly where it is (because there might be links to it) and merge any new threads INTO the old thread, rather than vice versa.

Done and done. I've merged the threads together into one mega-thread. Let me know if anything seems awry.

#19 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,030 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Awesome.

#20 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Well, I'm still enjoying this game -- suddenly I've transformed into a MMORPG guy. Who knew?

I'm actually looking for a couple A&F friends to join my eldest daughter and I to do some flashpoints, operations,etc. Anyone interested in teaming up?