Photo

Wrestling For Jesus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

Here is a new project that I am trying to get funding for (to do a longer version.) What you see here is the trailer / pitch so it's written a little more for a potential investor as opposed to a viewing audience.

I actually got the idea for this project while reading a thread on this site that was a "can you believe this is real?" type thread. I was indignant as well and then began to pursue the story. Over time my mind changed and I began to open up to the back stories of these guys which helped me understand the "why" and not just stay confused at the "what."

let me know what you think.

#2 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,861 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (NClarke @ Nov 3 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a new project that I am trying to get funding for (to do a longer version.) What you see here is the trailer / pitch so it's written a little more for a potential investor as opposed to a viewing audience.

I actually got the idea for this project while reading a thread on this site that was a "can you believe this is real?" type thread. I was indignant as well and then began to pursue the story. Over time my mind changed and I began to open up to the back stories of these guys which helped me understand the "why" and not just stay confused at the "what."

let me know what you think.

Nate, that looks great. This subject seems to lend itself to an odd harmony based on what at first would seem like a natural conflict. It definitely pulled me in and created an interest to know more about the people and reasons behind this form of communicating a gospel message. Look forward to hearing how this progresses.

#3 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

Thanks Thom(Asher). Hopefully we can get some funding to do some more shooting. Unfortunately with the footage that I current I have, there is not an overarching narrative that can be developed. I think that would require following the guys for a couple of months. If we can't get more funding, I might make a series of vignettes - each on one person - and post them to a web site and turn it into a "choose your own scene" documentary. I've been down there twice and I have some great scenes, but like I said, not a complete story. In my experience this is really what makes doc filmmaking difficult - I can find subjects that make great scenes or moments, but an entire story is another matter.

#4 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,462 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (NClarke @ Nov 4 2008, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Thom(Asher). Hopefully we can get some funding to do some more shooting. Unfortunately with the footage that I current I have, there is not an overarching narrative that can be developed. I think that would require following the guys for a couple of months. If we can't get more funding, I might make a series of vignettes - each on one person - and post them to a web site and turn it into a "choose your own scene" documentary. I've been down there twice and I have some great scenes, but like I said, not a complete story. In my experience this is really what makes doc filmmaking difficult - I can find subjects that make great scenes or moments, but an entire story is another matter.

Loved it, Nathan. Wanted it to keep going after it ended. Loved the pacing, and especially loved the Arcade Fire at the end. It could be compared to a wrestling Hell House.

Here's to hoping there's more on the way.

#5 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Stef for the kind words. I definitely would prefer a Hell House vibe (as opposed to something like Jesus Camp.)

#6 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,861 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

I think a Hell House vibe is a good comparison and a good goal, especially when placing it along side a Jesus Camp feel. I think it could really benefit from an Errol Morris type of feel though, along the lines of Vernon, Florida or Gates of Heaven.