What did we miss? (IE Top100 '05)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#121 Shantih

Shantih

slightly linguistic inspector

• 517 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(anthony_dunn @ Nov 30 2004, 04:23 AM)
I'm surprised that  Contact  is not on the list.

View Post

I'd like to see it there, I'm a big fan. We have a really good discussion on the film, its spiritual context and its connection/distance from the original novel on the board which you might want to check out!

Phil.

#122 Shantih

Shantih

• 517 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Nov 30 2004, 12:43 PM)
I've got mixed feelings on Contact. I *do* think, in an historical sense, that it is 'spiritually significant.' However, it is a terrible adaptation of the book and not the best in terms of its artistic qualities.

I can agree with that. It's got the problems which dog a lot of Government/alien esque film-making of the time. Namely, it's adapted some of the more interesting issues and questions of the novel into the framework of an episode of The X-Files. The reason I think it resonates me particuarly with is, funnily enough, a DVD context issue. This was the first disk I ever owned with special features and it had three commentaries. Listening to Robert Zemekis and Jodie Foster dissecting their work was such a thrill I probably fell in love with the whole thing more than I would usually do.

On the other hand, I do think it opens up exploration of some of the issues very well. And I think it deserves a thorough look. I mean, there are one or two films on the list already whose artistic qualites are a little less than stellar. The Prince of Egypt is really very flat, and has aged very badly in a way which the better made Disney films tend not to do. And is Changing Lanes really all that aesthetically pleasing especially, being saddled as it is, with Affleck at his most lacklustre?

Phil.

Edited by Shantih, 30 November 2004 - 07:59 AM.

#123 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,808 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:36 AM

Shantih wrote:
: This was the first disk I ever owned with special features and it had three
: commentaries.

I've actually been interested in getting this DVD just for those commentaries -- isn't one of them by a scientist, or something? I like it when non-film people contribute to these things -- kind of like when Thirteen Days has the historians on whose book the film is based provide a commentary track, in which they point out all the historical inaccuracies and exaggerations, or like when Apollo 13 has the real-life Mr. and Mrs. Lovell comment on the film, and you can hear her getting choked up at the memories of how she feared for her husband's life, while he jokes about how "romantic" Tom Hanks and Kathleen Quinlan make them look.

#124 Shantih

Shantih

• 517 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Nov 30 2004, 04:36 PM)

I've actually been interested in getting this DVD just for those commentaries -- isn't one of them by a scientist, or something?

Sadly not, although it's still worth a dip for Jodie Foster's solo track and the director/producer one (I think Zemekis is paired up with Steve Sarkey) The third is a technical/special effects one by the visual effects supervisors which isn't quite so enthralling.

From the sounds of the early reviews on IGN and DVDFile the efforts by the critics and the philosophers on The Matrix boxset are going to be quite entertaining.

Phil.

#125 gigi

gigi

ReMember

• 950 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:00 PM

Oh but the special effects one does tell you how they did THAT mirror shot.

Worth the full DVD fee alone.

#126 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,676 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:07 PM

If we want to be intentional about spreading out into some older films, The Ox-Bow Incident is certainly worth a look. It's worth a look on its own merits, not just its age.

#127 Jazzaloha

Jazzaloha

• 168 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:29 PM

Has anyone mentioned The Third Miracle, starring Ed Harris and Anne Heche. Harris plays a Catholic priest who is sent to investigate a miracle. I love both actors, but the film still surprised me.

#128 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,676 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Jazzaloha @ Dec 29 2004, 06:29 PM)
Has anyone mentioned The Third Miracle, starring Ed Harris and Anne Heche. Harris plays a Catholic priest who is sent to investigate a miracle. I love both actors, but the film still surprised me.

View Post

It was within 2 votes of making the list. Results of round two voting.

#129 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,857 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:24 AM

Kristin Lavransdatter--some of the reasons for nominating this one are discussed in its thread, I believe. Christian theology and morality are taken seriously in this film, and it presents a very powerful portrait of faithful Christian marriage which is ultimately timeless, although set in medieval Scandinavia. Stunning cinematography by Sven Nyqvist, and a beautiful score.

To End All Wars--This film had scarcely been seen when the 2004 list was done. It's now available on DVD and though it's not perfect, certainly deserves to be better known. Wish everyone could read the book first, though.

Heart of Light--I already nominated this once; I'll just second the motion. It's available from Netflix, if you haven't seen it.

The Reckoning--actually, if it had ended the way the book (Barry Unsworth's Morality Play) does, it would have been a better candidate. Nevertheless, I'll toss it in.

#130 paulbaxter

paulbaxter

• New User
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:03 AM

Hi all,

been enjoying lurking here. Saw what I thought was a phenomenal older film last night: Heavens Above, with Peter Sellers. One of the best treatments of the confluence of charity, church and society I've seen, and all done within a comedic format. Anyone else seen it or wish to second it? Its available on Netflix.

side note--the Netflix logo was imprinted onto the disk we got. Does Netflix actually buy the printing (I guess I should say "burning") rights for some movies??? Just wondering.

#131 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:58 AM

Hi Paul,

Not seen , but just to say welcome to the boards - I'm glad you've de-lurked!

Matt

#132 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,808 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:05 PM

Is Heavens Above the Boulting Brothers' film in which Sellers plays an idealistic vicar who is exploited both by the church hierarchy and by the very poor that he is trying to reach? That's how I seem to remember the story playing out, at any rate -- it's been nearly a decade since I saw it.

#133 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,183 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:13 PM

I'll make my annual plea for Wit - this film definitely belongs in the Top 100! Has anyone else besides me seen it?

#134 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:01 PM

To broaden the genre reach and suggest three exemplary films, I nominate:

Anime:

Haibane Renmei, a series I watched last year and was blown away by--it's now my favorite anime ever (replacing Grave of the Fireflies, a no less worthy nomination.) Here is a decent introductory review.

Horror:

Jacques Tourneur's Night of the Demon. Here is a decent review of the DVD.

Western:

Jacques Tourneur's Stars in My Crown. Here is a talky but decent review.

...and I still insist on Safe.

#135 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Jan 21 2005, 06:08 PM)
Doug, at GreenCine I find four *volumes* of Haibane Renmei; were you referring the the entire work, or a specific volume? Or did I get it wrong?

No, it's 13 episodes that are 30 minutes each, and Pioneer annoyingly spread it out over four DVDs in order to make more money off it. The first five episodes establish the characters and the rules of its alternate world, but episode six begins to push it into high gear (thematically and emotionally) and it never lets up. It's very artful and profound (and surprisingly amiable to Christian thought).

#136 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:21 PM

Alan, when you get that Demon DVD, make sure you watch the longer British cut, Night of the Demon, and not the shorter American cut (called Curse of...). It's a truly great film.

#137 paulbaxter

paulbaxter

• New User
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Jan 21 2005, 02:05 PM)
Is Heavens Above the Boulting Brothers' film in which Sellers plays an idealistic vicar who is exploited both by the church hierarchy and by the very poor that he is trying to reach?  That's how I seem to remember the story playing out, at any rate -- it's been nearly a decade since I saw it.

View Post

Yep, that's the one. Very enjoyable "small" feeling film.

#138 paulbaxter

paulbaxter

• New User
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:24 AM

Another nomination that I haven't seen mentioned here yet (correct me if I'm wrong) is a made for cable film called Deacons For Defense, a film about a group of black churchmen organizing for civil rights in Louisiana. Very interesting film.

#139 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

Two stunning short films:

Guy Maddin's The Heart of the World
Forough Farrokhzad's The House is Black

#140 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,857 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:04 AM

Genesis (La Génese), now available on DVD from Netflix and probably elsewhere. I just saw it. Here's the board's all-too-brief Genesis thread.