Photo

Settlers of Catan

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Stephen Lamb

Stephen Lamb

• 312 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

It is a rare weekend where I don't play two or three games with a group of friends - we've been doing it for a couple of years, by now - but I'm pretty sure we won't be adding this to the rotation:

Did you hear that? That's the sound of a million Trekkies and board game enthusiasts heads exploding. Because come March, the first themed version of Settlers of Catan will be released, called Star Trek Catan. Set your faces to stunned.

http://gizmodo.com/5...has-gone-before

#22 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,819 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

So, did anybody catch the blue, double-entendre routine of The Settlers of Catan in this past week's Big Bang Theory?

#23 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,674 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

It is a rare weekend where I don't play two or three games with a group of friends - we've been doing it for a couple of years, by now - but I'm pretty sure we won't be adding this to the rotation:

The mother of a close friend has played weekly for the past eight or nine years. They almost exclusively play with the Cities and Knights expansion (which, in my opinion, makes the game infinitely more replayable).

My friend was thinking of getting her this for Christmas (until he saw the price point).

#24 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,674 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

Two interesting articles popped up on Catan in the past few days:

The first, in Cardus: The Devil Plays Catan.

And the response in Christ and Pop Culture: To Hell With Catan?

I went to college with the author of the Cardus piece, and while the article as a whole kind of drives me nuts, I'm not sure he's being entirely serious. But to what degree, I can't tell.

As for the second article, big thumbs up.

#25 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,674 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Two interesting articles popped up on Catan in the past few days:

The first, in Cardus: The Devil Plays Catan.

And the response in Christ and Pop Culture: To Hell With Catan?

I went to college with the author of the Cardus piece, and while the article as a whole kind of drives me nuts, I'm not sure he's being entirely serious. But to what degree, I can't tell.

As for the second article, big thumbs up.

I'm surprised no one else has commented (ha!) on these. As for the Comment piece, the editors have all but publicly confirmed that it was facetious, and they stand behind it. That said, if it's meant to be mild satire, I think it failed miserably.

#26 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,973 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Has nobody posted a link to this yet?

Posted Image

Star Trek Catan

Is this The Best of Both Worlds? Or a Dark Page in the history of both properties? I suppose it's in the Eye of the Beholder, but it will cause Schisms among fans, depending on their Frame of Mind. Catan has not typically licensed other properties, but All Good Things...

Edited by CrimsonLine, 08 February 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#27 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,674 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Has nobody posted a link to this yet?

See post #21.

#28 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,973 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Oops! I wish I had taken the time to learn how to read!

#29 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,674 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Oops! I wish I had taken the time to learn how to read!

Oh, you at least included an image of the box, Denes, so I think you're off the hook. :lol:

I do like how they're adding some additional elements, at least from images I've seen on Boardgamegeek.com. You can play different characters from the original show, and all of the characters have unique abilities.

#30 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Wil Wheaton's online series Tabletop, which features people playing a different board game each episode, has a new episode featuring Settlers of Catan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3WJTlDa7oo&feature=g-all-u&context=G234aadcFAAAAAAAAAAA

#31 The Defenestrator

The Defenestrator

• 112 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

The Politics of Competitive Board Gaming Amongst Friends