Photo

Glen Workshop 2009

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 236 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

(if this isn't the right spot for this, or if I missed a similiar thread, feel free to delete or move)

My husband and I sent in our deposits a couple of days ago. I'm taking the Spiritual Writing course and my husband has signed up for playwriting. (Jeffrey O, my husband is the one who asked you many questions on Facebook).

We're quite excited and maybe a bit scared at the same time.

Anyone have any tips for Glen newbies?

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,400 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Bring a good durable water bottle, so you can keep water with you at all times. It can get really hot and dry, and there's a lot of walking around campus involved, especially if you end up in the apartments or some of the outer dorms.

Bring some snacks, as there are occasional times when the snack bars and cafeteria aren't open.

Bring good walking shoes. There's good hiking around campus, and there are great museums all over Santa Fe. (Don't miss the Folk Art Museum, or the Georgia O'Keeffe.)

I'm sure I'll think of more...

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,016 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Links to the threads for 2005 and 2006.

#4 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 236 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:19 AM

The Glen is coming soon. We just overnighted our manuscripts yesterday. How many forum folk will be there?

#5 Sara Zarr

Sara Zarr

Drive-By Poster / The Glen Online

• Glen Online
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:02 AM

My tips:

Don't try to do everything. If you try to go to every single reading, talk, event, etc., you may flatline by the fourth day. The campus is beautiful and it's a good place to have down time.

Even if you find a few people you really click with and are tempted to stick to them the whole time, try to spread yourself around and eat with different people now and then. I can't think of any other setting where I've met so many people who were all so different from me and each other yet totally compatible in the important ways.

Plan to spend a small fortune in the Eighth Day Books room.

If you are remotely tempted to participate in the open mic nights, sign up fast before you lose your nerve and your spot! It's a great experience.

Don't be shy about talking to the faculty at meal or social times.

This is the first time since 2002 I won't be there. It's going to be weird.