77 replies to this topic

#41 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (mrmando @ May 13 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard about one instructor who had a novel solution for the texting-in-class problem: The first time she caught a student doing it, the entire class had to take a pop quiz. It happened once in every class, but never more than once.

Brilliant!

#42 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,806 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

Twitter Puts a Muzzle on Your Friends: Goodbye People I Never Knew
It's not exactly a silent spring, but a change made to Twitter's settings this afternoon has already greatly reduced the tweets its users are witness to. In what the company called a small settings update, users no longer see public replies sent by friends to people they themselves are not following. (Fragmented conversations, they are called.) This isn't a small change at all, it's big and it's bad. The new setting eliminates serendipitous social discovery. . . .
The new policy isn't something you have to opt-in to. It's not something you can opt-out of. It's true for people who use 3rd party Twitter clients to read their Tweets. It's more fundamentally closed than Facebook is; on that site I may not be able to view the profiles of strangers talking to my friends, but I can see that the conversations are happening and I can read the comments. This new Twitter policy breaks one of the fundamental rules of social activity streams: that I can discover new people by seeing who is conversing with the people I already know. . . .
ReadWriteWeb.com, May 12

#43 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,806 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

We had an election in British Columbia yesterday, and this morning's news included this interesting tidbit, courtesy of the Globe and Mail:
Tuesday wasn't just about results, as one party's use of a social networking site was found to be in violation of the province's Election Act. The B.C. Liberal Party had been posting updates on its Twitter account during the day. Someone reported it to Elections B.C., which told the party it was in violation of a law that prevents candidates, parties and third-party sponsors from advertising on election day.

The Liberals stopped their so-called “tweeting” immediately, and deleted the posts from that day. The party won't be punished, Elections B.C. spokesman Kenn Faris said.

Violating section 233 of the province's Election Act carries a maximum fine of $10,000 or imprisonment for up to one year.

The B.C. NDP also runs a Twitter account, but did not update it Tuesday.

#44 gigi

gigi

ReMember

• 950 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

I don't know if anyone is following David Lynch on twitter, but he's been posting about a new project he's sponsored that looks to be pretty interesting thus far. It's called the Interview Project. In the aim of encouraging people to go to Lynch's twitter page, I won't post the link.

The first installment was great. Can't wait for them to go live with weekly installments.

#45 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 356 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

John Quincy Adams, proto-Twitterer?

#46 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,857 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

Looking for someone to follow? Beliefnet's 12 inspirational Celebrity Twitterers--YMMV. At the end, a list of Beliefnet Twitterers.

#47 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,474 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

Lots of stuff about Iran making it out via Twitter. Very thrilling watching this unfold.

#48 Christian

Christian

• 10,890 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

I agree and have started a dedicated thread on the developments in Iran.

#49 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

Twitter was going to perform a major upgrade to their system, but because it's been one of the primary methods for disseminating information about what's going on in Iran right now, they pushed back the upgrade to a time that wouldn't compromise that.

A critical network upgrade must be performed to ensure continued operation of Twitter. In coordination with Twitter, our network host had planned this upgrade for tonight. However, our network partners at NTT America recognize the role Twitter is currently playing as an important communication tool in Iran. Tonight's planned maintenance has been rescheduled to tomorrow between 2-3p PST (1:30a in Iran).

Which is pretty cool.

#50 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,276 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

Andrew Sullivan apologizes, admits that Twitter is... yes... a really big deal. Somewhere, Ashton Kutcher is shouting "BURN!!!!"

Edited by Overstreet, 18 June 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#51 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

I think I finally sussed out the difference between Twitter and (the status aspect of) Facebook. And essentially it's all about the culture of those sites. Facebook is about facilitating existing connections. If one of my friends went around and tried to add all my friends that they have never met to their friends, that would be seen as odd. Whereas, from what I can make out, Twitter is more about developing new relationships. If I go and follow all the people someone I already follow is following that's normal (rather than strange as it would be on Facebook).

FWIW

Matt

#52 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,806 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

Bill Simmons:
. . . the craziest subplot of the offseason: NBA players using Twitter to break news about themselves, and even stranger, reporters posting their scoops on Twitter even before their employers had a chance to print them. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Facebook is a social network. Twitter is a media/marketing vehicle disguised as a social network. Big difference. And if you don't think it's changing the way information is dispersed, for good and bad, you're insane.
The Tonight Show:

#53 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,806 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Teens Don’t Tweet; Twitter’s Growth Not Fueled By Youth
Twitter’s footprint has expanded impressively in the first half of 2009, reaching 10.7 percent of all active Internet users in June. Perhaps even more impressively, this growth has come despite a lack of widespread adoption by children, teens, and young adults. In June 2009, only 16 percent of Twitter.com website users were under the age of 25. Bear in mind persons under 25 make up nearly one quarter of the active US Internet universe, which means that Twitter.com effectively under-indexes on the youth market by 36 percent.
Nielsen Wire, July 30

- - -

Given that many films are aimed squarely at the 18-24 demographic, one wonders how much of any given film's box-office performance or underperformance can be credited to opening-weekend tweeting, if the people within that demographic aren't even tweeting all that much in the first place.

#54 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Hmm interesting that tweets are controversially breaking news in very American sports such as the NBA whilst the same is also happening in cricket and (Association) Football over here. Not that up on the NBA stuff but here we've had an Australian cricketer announcing he was dropped for the match before the team had been announced, and a footballer moaning about wanting to transfer.

Matt

#55 Christian

Christian

• 10,890 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

My dad doesn't talk like this, but I suspect some dads do, and that this Twitter feed is on the up and up.

WARNING: Profanity! Lots of it. I thought twice before posting the link, but the content had me laugh -- and we could all use a laugh, couldn't we? My apologies to those who are offended.

#56 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,806 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

Diaz & Myers Banned From Twitter
Filmmakers are becoming increasingly worried about actors ruining plots and damaging the industry by putting up messages on the public website.
Executives at Dreamworks have forbidden actors from giving out information on the internet by inserting clauses into their contracts - with Diaz and Myers, who are lined up to star in another Shrek sequel next year, the first affected by the move.
WENN, October 19

#57 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,806 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

Teens Don't Tweet; Twitter's Growth Not Fueled By Youth
Twitter's footprint has expanded impressively in the first half of 2009, reaching 10.7 percent of all active Internet users in June. Perhaps even more impressively, this growth has come despite a lack of widespread adoption by children, teens, and young adults. In June 2009, only 16 percent of Twitter.com website users were under the age of 25. Bear in mind persons under 25 make up nearly one quarter of the active US Internet universe, which means that Twitter.com effectively under-indexes on the youth market by 36 percent.
Nielsen Wire, July 30

Twitter: No matter what Hollywood thinks, it's totally uncool for kids
When I had a little downtime with this year's Summer Movie Posse, I asked them how they kept up with the buzz about movies. As you might expect, they spent a lot of time online, which gives them a chance to look at trailers or hear word of mouth about upcoming movies on their friends' Facebook pages or sites like Slashfilm.com or Comingsoon.net.
But when I asked whether they kept abreast of things via Twitter, they all looked at me like I was crazy. Rajiv Rao, who's 17, said "I don't know one high schooler that uses Twitter." His friend, Arya Zarifi, also 17, added: "It's something for adults who feel like it makes them hip or something."
Yalda Chalabi, 17, was especially dismissive of actors and celebrities who use Twitter as a self-promotional tool. "I hate it when they say, 'Follow me on Twitter,' as if we're interested in every little thing they have to say," she explained. "It's just an adult thing. Our music teacher kept saying that she would put stuff up for us to follow on Twitter until one day she said, 'OK, who's following me on Twitter?' And no one raised their hand. You keep hearing people talk about it, but I don't know anyone my age that uses it." . . .
Patrick Goldstein, Los Angeles Times, May 4

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 04 May 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#58 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,806 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

The Twitter Effect: Not to blame for sinking bad Hollywood movies?
It turns out that my teen pals were right. As former New Line marketing chief Gordon Paddison, who's now an indie consultant, put it: "The thing we've found that's actually much more impressive is the amount of people spreading word-of-mouth by texting."
This was confirmed by an OTX research study last September that found that Twitter actually had far less impact than Facebook and MySpace, along with co-worker and family interaction, when it came to spreading the buzz about good or bad movies. . . .
Patrick Goldstein, Los Angeles Times, July 27

#59 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,806 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:33 AM

Glenn Kenny:

The film critic Michael Sicinski became aggrieved with me recently; he was upset that I cited a particularly tetchy "tweet" by him, and particularly that I did so after largely ignoring his more serious work. Did he has a right to be aggrieved? Probably; after all, I did preface a prior, similar objection to an observation by Richard Brody by paying Brody a compliment; I might have at least had the common courtesy to acknowledge that Sicinski's tweet was not representative of his larger body of work. On the other hand, as I pointed out, I didn't write Sicinski's tweet; Sicinski wrote it. And I didn't "retweet" it, and bring it to the attention of a larger audience; Karina Longworth did. And that's how Twitter works. And I believe that if one is going to be on Twitter, one ought to understand what's going to happen there. And if you believe that Twitter is now a vital part of the "conversation" about cinema or politics or world events or whatever it is that's your bag, then you ought to get used to a lack of context. In theory, Twitter should work out to being all about context (context within context within context), but in practice—the difficulty in following its various conversations being paramount, but that's just for starters—Twitter is turning out to be the ultimate in the context, as they say, of no context. If that's the currency you're going to deal in, then... I am not trying to pile on Michael here; what I mean, finally, it that Twitter is a dangerous place.

One thing Kenny doesn't mention here, but could, is that Twitter pretty much actively DISCOURAGES context, because the page for each individual tweet contains none of the buttons that might enable you to toggle back and forth between consecutive tweets, and the URLs for each tweet contain no hint of what the URLs for the previous and successive tweets in those feeds might be. And that's just with regard to the context of a single Twitter account. On top of that, there is ALSO the problem of trying to follow conversations BETWEEN Twitter accounts -- which Kenny DOES allude to, but I think he means it in a present-tense sense, whereas I am thinking of it in more archival terms.

#60 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Twittering, tweeting, whatever -- is super-lame.

Glad I finally pronounced it, effectively killing this lame fad.