Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,118 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

Brett McCracken declares that people who don't like Coldplay are just too-cool-for-school hipsters who can't stand it when something good becomes popular.

Interesting. I thought I stopped enjoying the music when the music started to sound slathered in butter (it's all yellow) and too eager for arenas. And, album by album, I never heard any of the musicians becoming more interesting... just, you know, playing the notes. Other than Chris Martin, I can't name any of the band members, partly because I don't hear anything distinct going on, so they don't get my attention. It still sounds more like product than vision to me.

And hey... to those who enjoy them, by all means, don't let me get in the way. Just stop judging the naysayers for being more concerned about their image than the actual music. I pay for the music I enjoy, no matter what others may think. I still listen to Mannheim Steamroller, for crying out loud. If that doesn't kill my "hipster cred," I don't know what will.

Edited by Overstreet, 15 November 2011 - 01:37 AM.

#42 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Well I don't know what's wrong with me, but I like the whole album. Quite a bit actually. It's much more pop-oriented than previous Coldplay CDs, and at this point it's about as "pop" as I get. But I'm diggin it.

I do have to say, however, that the album as a whole is better than the two singles by themselves.

#43 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,922 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

I do have to say, however, that the album as a whole is better than the two singles by themselves.

I'm glad to hear this.

#44 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

I've had two other friends tell me this too. I'll probably give it a spin soon.

#45 chillinrev

chillinrev

• 203 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

I think this is Coldplay's most immediate album. It strikes me as a great album from the first listen. But time will tell whether that makes it a long term joy to listen to. Found it took time to get into Viva La Vida but I seem to listen to that more now than any previous album. There are some classic tracks on this album.

#46 Joel C

Joel C

• 498 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

Finally getting around to listening to this album. Really fascinating stuff; I didn't realize that Yoda was co-writing with them again.

#47 Tyler

Tyler

I right the outlaw wrongs on Mars.

• 6,154 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

$0.25 download on Amazon today.

Can't decide if it's worth it.

#48 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,118 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

Got it for free from the library last week. Can't say a single track held my attention. Once upon a time, Coldplay sounded like actual musicians gathering to play instruments together. Now, this stuff sounds to me like it was produced by some kind of Coldplay Software. I can't even comment on Martin's singing anymore because his voice seems lost in the sea of gleaming gauze. It's the musical equivalent of the butter flavoring - not butter, butter flavoring - they put on the popcorn at the cheap theater.

Edited by Overstreet, 16 March 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#49 bloop

bloop

• 197 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

I think it's a solid, if unspectacular, pop album, but Viva La Vida, Parachutes, and A Rush of Blood are all better, IMO.

#50 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,922 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

I think it's a solid, if unspectacular, pop album, but Viva La Vida, Parachutes, and A Rush of Blood are all better, IMO.

Pretty much what I think as well.