Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,304 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

NME reports that they're back in cahoots with Eno, who seems to be competing with T-Bone Burnett for busiest producer alive. (Or is that M. Ward?)

Edited by Overstreet, 23 January 2009 - 05:40 PM.

#2 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 881 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

Steve Albini is probably the busiest. What has M. Ward done lately?

#3 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,170 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Joe Henry. But whatever the case, Brian Eno's work on the last Coldplay album can't be undervalued-- he turned them from the lamest band in the world into a really exciting one, and the album is flat-out terrific, no matter what you think of Coldplay's earlier output. Let's hope he brings the same magic to the new U2 tunes.

#4 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,170 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Concept album!

#5 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,170 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:01 AM

New single.

#6 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,949 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

New single.

They really badly want to be considered the new U2 don't they?

#7 old wave

old wave

• 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

New single.

I forgot it was playing while it was on.

#8 wmadjones

wmadjones

• 46 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Heard the single on the radio today, and it floated right past. I wouldn't have even noticed it except the announcer made a big deal of it as soon as it was over. Not awful, but not good either.

#9 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,264 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

I can see Chris Martin tumbledancing to this already.

Edited by Tyler, 04 June 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#10 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

New single.

I forgot it was playing while it was on.

Heard the single on the radio today, and it floated right past. I wouldn't have even noticed it except the announcer made a big deal of it as soon as it was over. Not awful, but not good either.

Wow, same thing for me. Listened to it, wanted to check a few other things online, forgot it was playing, it floated past. But I like this band, so I listened twice. This is going to be all over the radio, better get used to it floating past if you're an FM listener. (Which I don't think anyone here really is, unless they're fortunate or unfortunate enough to have it on at work.)

#11 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,749 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Coldplay is now officially Britain's version of Nickleback.

Supposedly, they credit Peter Allen's sampled riff, so they're not swiping straightaway, this time. I find this version infinitely more interesting. And Allen is way cooler than Chris Martin too.

#12 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,170 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

A bunch more new songs.

#13 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 1,004 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

The four-on-the-floor beat and the "oh-way-oh" chanting are just a recycling of the song "Viva La Vida." I like these guys but they're also very frustrating.

#14 bloop

bloop

• 200 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

"Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"? Really?!

First reaction: zzzzzzzzz

#15 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

I'm not necessarily loving the new tracks, but I also don't hate them. At the very least, it's good to see Chris Martin actually play an instrument again.

#16 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

I first saw the title of the new single, "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall," on AV Club and I thought it had to be a joke. Nope, turns out that Coldplay is the joke now. Seriously, terrible song title and I'm not sure what's more boring, the lyrics or the music.

#17 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

I love Coldplay = I am a hipster Christian

Coldplay is no longer any good = I reject hipster Christian faves = I am a hipster Christian

Rejection of a post about Christian hipsters who love or hate Coldplay = I am cooler than the original poster who goes to a weirdo's LOVE WINS church, therefore = I am still a hipster Christian

You just can't win with this band. They're like Jesus. If he can fit inside your heart, he might just take up residence there, constantly changing and shaping and helping you. (To be more hip.)

#18 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,949 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

Coldplay is no longer any good = I reject hipster Christian faves = I am a hipster Christian

Rejection of a post about Christian hipsters who love or hate Coldplay = I am cooler than the original poster who goes to a weirdo's LOVE WINS church, therefore = I am still a hipster Christian

You just can't win with this band. They're like Jesus. If he can fit inside your heart, he might just take up residence there, constantly changing and shaping and helping you. (To be more hip.)

I like Coldplay. I'll admit it. I think their first album is super sweet. Second is very good. VIVA LA VIDA was quite good too (I rank it second in their discography).

BUT...they almost lost me with the "Christmas Lights" single this past winter. It was like a parody, where someone was like "What if Coldplay wrote a Christmas song like Billy Mack in LOVE, ACTUALLY?" Just terrible. And the video was laughable.

They're not doing themselves any favours with this new song is all I'm sayin'.

#19 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,170 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

You know, the thing about a song titled "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" is... it would be okay if this band had ever displayed a sense of humor about themselves. But self-seriousness, combined with this kind of overly-earnest title, is really off-putting, at least to me.

#20 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,304 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

Posted Image