Wings of Desire (1987)

Wim Wenders

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Are there any other Dallas-Fort Worth residents in forum besides me? If so, then mark this down on your calendar. On April 2nd at 8:00 pm, Tugg and I will be screening Wings of Desire at the Cinemark 14 in Denton. The catch is, I have to pre-sell 50 tickets in order for the event to happen. So, if you live in the DFW area and want to go, BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW. They won't be available at the door.

Use this link to find out information and to buy tickets.

http://tugg.com/events/show/333

Note: You will only be charged for a ticket if the event actually happens. If, for some reason, we don't meet the March 28th deadline, then you won't be charged.

Thanks guys!

EDIT - Also, if anyone knows they have DFW followers on Twitter/Facebook/Google+ I would appreciate any help you might be able to give me as far as spreading the word goes. Right now, it's all up to me. I'm doing the best I can, but I'm no marketing expert. Thanks again!

Edited by andrew_b_welch, 19 March 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#82 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 361 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Are there any other Dallas-Fort Worth residents in forum besides me? If so, then mark this down on your calendar. On April 2nd at 8:00 pm, Tugg and I will be screening Wings of Desire at the Cinemark 14 in Denton. The catch is, I have to pre-sell 50 tickets in order for the event to happen. So, if you live in the DFW area and want to go, BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW. They won't be available at the door.

Note: You will only be charged for a ticket if the event actually happens. If, for some reason, we don't meet the March 28th deadline, then you won't be charged.

Thanks guys!

EDIT - Also, if anyone knows they have DFW followers on Twitter/Facebook/Google+ I would appreciate any help you might be able to give me as far as spreading the word goes. Right now, it's all up to me. I'm doing the best I can, but I'm no marketing expert. Thanks again!

I lived here the past 2 years and NOW you do this? After I move to middle o' nowhere Colorado?! I wish I could help you out. Would have had 5 other roommates in as well. :(

#83 John

John

• 422 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Thanks guys!

Hi Andrew,

I'm in DFW, and I'd like to get out to the film, though with an especially busy week that week, we'll see. I'll try to encourage some local friends to go as well.

I am glad to hear you're working on setting up screenings. I've noticed several older films screening on mid-week evenings in Dallas over the past few months, and am glad that we're getting more variety in what's showing.

#84 vjmorton

vjmorton

• 512 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

What if you don't live in the DFW area (hypothetically speaking: Washington), consider WINGS OF DESIRE a load of pretentious hooey, and couldn't be forced into the Cinemark 14 in Denton on that day with a cattle prod behind you and a naked Reese Witherspoon in front of you ...

BUT

... want to support the showing of boring art movies in small Southern burghs.

In other words, Andrew ... and I'm being totally serious, earlier tone aside ... would you consider it an insult if I bought a ticket to contribute to letting the film go forward but then didn't show (for multiple reasons).

As for marketing ideas ... have you considered printing solicitation fliers and then sauntering over to the North Texas State campus and getting permission to put them in the boxes of professors and grad students in the theater/RTF/whatever-they-got and/or religion/theology/whatever-they-got departments. And on the department bulletin boards so the undergrads can see.

Edited by vjmorton, 20 March 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#85 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

In other words, Andrew ... and I'm being totally serious, earlier tone aside ... would you consider it an insult if I bought a ticket to contribute to letting the film go forward but then didn't show (for multiple reasons).

Thanks for the support, Victor. I wouldn't be insulted at all. And the good news for you is that if the event doesn't happen, you aren't out any money.

As for marketing ideas ... have you considered printing solicitation fliers and then sauntering over to the North Texas State campus and getting permission to put them in the boxes of professors and grad students in the theater/RTF/whatever-they-got and/or religion/theology/whatever-they-got departments. And on the department bulletin boards so the undergrads can see.

I was planning on putting some flyers up around UNT later this week. It's spring break right now, though, so not many people would see them just yet and the buildings may not even be open.

#86 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm in DFW, and I'd like to get out to the film, though with an especially busy week that week, we'll see. I'll try to encourage some local friends to go as well.

I am glad to hear you're working on setting up screenings. I've noticed several older films screening on mid-week evenings in Dallas over the past few months, and am glad that we're getting more variety in what's showing.

Awesome, thanks John. If you are able to go, be sure to buy your ticket at that link by or before the 28th. One thing Tugg told me to make very clear (and I'm trying my hardest) is that you can't buy tickets at the door--they are only available online, and you have to do it by that deadline, or else the screening is a no-go.

Hope to see you there!

#87 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Andrew,

I'd also recommend talking to some coffee shops/restaurants/local hang-outs near the Uni. and seeing if you can put up signs there too. Maybe talking to local independent cinemas too.

Out of curiosity, why do you have to pre-purchase tickets? I understand why you have to sell a certain amount of tickets for the event to even happen (I'd imagine 50 represents the number of sales they need to break even, or some such number), but why do you have to pre-buy tickets?

That sounds like a flaw in the business model. Can you buy tickets online the day before? The hour before?

#88 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Out of curiosity, why do you have to pre-purchase tickets? I understand why you have to sell a certain amount of tickets for the event to even happen (I'd imagine 50 represents the number of sales they need to break even, or some such number), but why do you have to pre-buy tickets?

That sounds like a flaw in the business model. Can you buy tickets online the day before? The hour before?

I don't think it was really explained to me very well by the folks at Tugg. My guess is that it's for the theater, so that they'll have time to revise their schedule if the screening doesn't sell enough tickets. Otherwise, they'd be stuck with an empty room. How that might be different from any other nearly-empty screening, though, I'm not sure.

Perhaps there's a better way for them to do things, but I don't know what it would be.

And no, you can't buy tickets a day or hour before. It has to be by the 28th. At this point, I'm not confident it's going to happen, as I've only sold three tickets--one for me, one for my wife, and one (I assume) for Victor, who won't be going anyway. Hopefully I'll have more luck once I'm able to put out flyers.

#89 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, but pre-selling 50 tickets is making sure they're not screening a film to no audience. You should still be able to purchase tickets after the deadline by which you have to sell 50 tickets is left.

I'm assuming the theater the film is showing in isn't super small (and only holds 50 people).

And why you can't purchase tickets at the theater or at least purchase them immediately before the showing (and print out a code that is scanned - fandango style) is beyond me.

I think it's a super cool idea, but they're killing it with shoddy execution.

#90 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Yeah, but pre-selling 50 tickets is making sure they're not screening a film to no audience. You should still be able to purchase tickets after the deadline by which you have to sell 50 tickets is left.

I'm assuming the theater the film is showing in isn't super small (and only holds 50 people).

And why you can't purchase tickets at the theater or at least purchase them immediately before the showing (and print out a code that is scanned - fandango style) is beyond me.

I think it's a super cool idea, but they're killing it with shoddy execution.

It's definitely a system that needs some work, as I'm worried people may just show up on 4/2 expecting to buy tickets for a screening that, unfortunately, probably won't happen.

Edited by andrew_b_welch, 22 March 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#91 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 960 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

yet another A&F favorite is popping up on hulu for free for the next 9 days.

http://www.hulu.com/...et_scope=movies

#92 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Otto Sander (Cassiel in Wings of Desire) has died. He was 72.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wim Wenders