Ian Watson

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,700 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 02:16 PM

Anyone read any of Ian Watson's sci-fi? I saw comments about him in today's Writers Almanac and it looked intreging. Also when I looked for his stuff in the library catelog, the movie A.I. came up (screen story by).
It's the birthday of science fiction writer Ian Watson, (books by this author) born in St. Albans, England (1943). He grew up in England in the 1950s, at a time when realistic fiction about working-class British was becoming all the rage. Watson read novels by writers like Kingsley Amis, Alan Sillitoe, and Colin Wilson, but he grew tired of reading about depressed people living in bleak towns. He started reading science fiction novels, and a few years later he started writing them.

His novel God's World (1979) is about a group of astronauts who set out to find heaven in a distant solar system. In The Jonah Kit (1975), the universe is discovered to be just a few microseconds old, and a whale is given the soul of a human. Watson's most popular books are those that comprise the Black River/Yaleen trilogy: The Book of the River (1984), The Book of the Stars (1985) and The Book of Being (1985). In these books, a river divides two societies, one female-dominated and one male-dominated. Men from the male-dominated society who try to cross the river are driven insane.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 20 April 2004 - 02:18 PM.