Photo

Game of Thrones

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#161 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 524 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

I'm just about to hit Viserys', um, big moment. And it's those little details that snowball that I'm craving. I'll definitely stick with it to the end, but the temptation is always there...

#162 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,374 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Neil Marshall (The Descent) will direct an episode. Cool.

#163 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Peter Dinklage won "Best Supporting Actor in a Drama" at the 2011 Emmies.

#164 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,859 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

This story makes me almost as happy as Margo Martindale's Best Supporting Actress win for Justified.

#165 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,145 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

#166 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

#ShakingandCrying

#167 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,145 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

#168 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Oh lawd. This season is going to be damned hard to watch after reading all five books.

#169 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Oh lawd. This season is going to be damned hard to watch after reading all five books.

Because of Hot Pie, right?

#170 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

I know there have already been posts about this, but now that you've seen the whole first season:

Do you recommend it?

Is there a ton of unnecessary sex?

I watched the first episode and wasn't enthralled (exposition, exposition, exposition), but I also know it's supposed to get better. And there was a lot to like - acting, set and costume design, etc.

I don't consider myself particularly sensitive, but I also don't want to 'waste' ten hours watching exposition broken up by sex scenes (and absolutely horrific discussion of letting your sister be violated by 50,000 warriors, etc.).

#171 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

I don't consider myself particularly sensitive, but I also don't want to 'waste' ten hours watching exposition broken up by sex scenes (and absolutely horrific discussion of letting your sister be violated by 50,000 warriors, etc.).

Would it be wasting ten hours if the sex scenes and exposition scenes were combined into sexposition scenes? Because that happens.

Do I recommend the show? Tentatively, yes — but I'm a big fan of the book series. I might even steer some non-fans away.

Is there unnecessary sex? Absolutely.

Does it get better after the first episode? I think so, but I also don't mind the exposition as much as some.

#172 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 524 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Question for this season, featuring spoilers for A Sword of Storms, which I'm a bit over halfway finished:

Spoiler

#173 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Question for this season, featuring spoilers for A Sword of Storms, which I'm a bit over halfway finished:

Really interesting stuff. My guess, though, is that they don't do this.

Spoiler

#174 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Is anyone else watching/re-watching the first season now that it's out on DVD/blu-ray/online legally?

I'm about half way in and am really impressed/engrossed. As someone who's put the book down several times, I'll even say I'm surprised. It makes me want to put the time in and see if the book yields as rich results as the show.

It's sort of amazing how characters who, in the first episode, come off as one-dimensional villains (or heroes) have really been fleshed out - and so early in the series too.

A lot of the characters aren't who I thought they were when I first met them - and that's a good thing.

This show has so much to recommend it - incredible acting, production design, costume design, etc.

And there's depth to it too, which I may say a bit about later (when I'm not sick and tired).

#175 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

My wife and I finally got to start watching it. Maybe it's because the books are so familiar to me, but I haven't found myself engrossed by the story as told by the series (yet). Rather, it's been more of an exercise in "Ah, so that's how they decided to do that" or "That was an interesting casting choice for that character" or "Hmm, I see how they changed that storyline to fit it into the TV series." I hope that doesn't sound like I'm nitpicking the series to death, though. If anything, I've been very impressed by exactly how they've shoehorned everything in so far. I thought the first episode did an excellent job of introducing so many characters and storylines all at once: I didn't feel like any of them were given short shrift.

Also, while I’ve been impressed by the casting choices, I think my favorite acting so far has been by Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen. She does a remarkable job of conveying the fear and anxiety of a young woman being placed in such a, um, revealing and frightening situation. Strangely, I didn't really feel much empathy for Daenerys until I saw her as portrayed by Clarke. The scenes in which Daenerys must consummate her marriage to Khal Drogo could’ve been cheap and exploitative. Thanks to Clarke, who radiates a palpable sense of fear and trepidation, those scenes ultimately become sympathetic, as you find yourself horrified at this young woman’s plight, and the innocence that is being stolen from her.

(Also, can I just say how weird and even quaint it feels to be watching something on Blu-ray? I'm so used to watching Netflix and Hulu on my Roku that getting up and swapping Blu-ray discs just seems… odd. I was actually tempted to re-purchase the series on Amazon On Demand, just for the streaming convenience. I know, I know... first world problems.)

#176 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Opus,

How far in are you?

I found myself asking similar questions during the first episode (which, not incidentally, covers the only part of the book I've actually read). I wasn't excited or thrilled or really moved by the first episode - I was more interested in the casting decisions, set design, etc.

By episode two though, the show starts to pick up and grab you, at least in my opinion. I'd hope it'd do the same for someone who has read the book, but maybe not . . .

On the streaming vs. Blu-ray issue - I'll trade a little convenience for full HD sound and picture any day. I also really like how, when you select an episode that's on the next disc all you have to do is put the next disc in and the player remembers your choice, skips all the notices and menu, and starts playing the episode right away. It's a little thing, but I like it.

#177 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Just the first episode. We were going to watch another episode or two last night but it didn't work out. Hopefully tonight…

On the streaming vs. Blu-ray issue - I'll trade a little convenience for full HD sound and picture any day. I also really like how, when you select an episode that's on the next disc all you have to do is put the next disc in and the player remembers your choice, skips all the notices and menu, and starts playing the episode right away. It's a little thing, but I like it.

That's good to know. One thing that really irritates me with Blu-ray is that, in addition to the increase in picture/sound quality, there seems to be an increase in promos, ads, and other nonsense that stands between me and whatever it is that I actually want to watch.

#178 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Winter is rocking...

#179 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,524 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

So I've seen the first two episodes, and I really don't get what all the fuss is about. So far I've seen a lot of flat writing, stilted direction, and poor performances (to say nothing of the thoroughly cliche production design and score). I understand that the first two episodes aren't the best, but really, I didn't expect them to be so mediocre. Not even Sean Bean brings life to the proceedings. If it weren't for Peter Dinklage, I'd have died of boredom.

Edited by Ryan H., 16 March 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#180 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

The showrunners mentioned in the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly that yes, they are going to make <i>A Storm of Swords</i> into two seasons. I'm pretty sure it was just wishful thinking on the part of fans (and GRRM) before, so it's good to get some confirmation on this.