Game of Thrones

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#201 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

I should also add: awesome observations altogether, Jeremy.

Also agree completely with the last point, and it's a problem the book series doesn't have. One of the challenges with adaptations, I suppose.

#202 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,130 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

As for the show being about good vs. evil, that's something else I don't necessarily buy. There are elements, yes, but the story (as a whole) is more about the shades of gray in between.

Huh. Well I'll give you that apparently evil characters suddenly do good things and supposedly good characters will do evil things.

I didn't really expect Theon to do what he just did in the episode last night. The contrast between his story and Jon's story was well executed (no pun intended) as they both are confronted with a few things they remember Ned Stark teaching them.

And, do my eyes deceive me, or is that red-headed wildling girl the maid with the typewriter from Downton Abbey? (if, in fact, there is anyone else here who actually enjoys both shows).

#203 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

And, do my eyes deceive me, or is that red-headed wildling girl the maid with the typewriter from Downton Abbey? (if, in fact, there is anyone else here who actually enjoys both shows).

There are such people, trust me! Yes, that's her — excellent casting choice, in my opinion.

I've read some reviews of last night's episode (I'll probably catch it later this week), and the showrunners continue to deviate further from the books. Seems like it's working too, for the most part. You have to streamline with something like this.

#204 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,857 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

I've read some reviews of last night's episode (I'll probably catch it later this week), and the showrunners continue to deviate further from the books. Seems like it's working too, for the most part. You have to streamline with something like this.

Some changes are working, yes, or at least not jarring too much, but this review from Wired(beware of spoilers) struck me as on target a good bit regarding some changes that seem pointless or even going off track. Especially this:

It’s impossible for me to view Arya stealing and being caught with Tywin’s letter as anything other than an idiot plot contrivance. (An “idiot plot” is where the only way to make the plot go the way you want is to make your characters behave in uncharacteristically stupid ways.) Why on earth does Arya steal the letter? It was short enough that she could easily peruse its contents while Tywin was lost in his avuncular reverie, and what possible use could she have for the parchment itself that would outweigh the risk of Tywin noticing it was gone? The letter does provide a reason why Arya would waste her second assassination coupon on a nobody like Amory Lorch rather than on a more obvious target like Tywin himself, but this could certainly have been set up in a less contrived way.

They also point out that

t’s been something of a running theme this season that the writers seem to think it’s “dramatic” for characters to openly threaten each other, when in fact it just makes the characters seem weak and not truly a part of the world they inhabit — a world that breeds and demands much greater savviness.

We've seen this kind of thing from Petyr, Dany, and several other characters. It never ends well.

Edited by BethR, 08 May 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#205 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Good thoughts as usual, Beth.

I wonder if some of these changes also serve to merge unused book plot points in with what the show is doing. How does Lorch die in the book? Vargo Hoat tosses him in the bear pit. But if the show isn't even going to show Hoat and the Brave Companions (a shame), I guess they'll just kill Lorch another way. But then if the Brave Companions don't show up, that changes lots of other details down the road... ...and so on.

So I can understand why they're doing some of these things, but that doesn't always make them good ideas. I heard about some of the changes they made this week with Dany's story, and I thought, "Really? Why?"

#206 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Finally got to watch this past Sunday's episode, I'll repeat the "Really? Why?" for almost all of the new stuff. The only new bits I didn't mind were with Robb and Jeyne Talisa, which worked well. Though there was some really heavy-handed foreshadowing in there, if you know what I mean.

#207 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

HBO's 'Game Of Thrones' On Track To Be Crowned Most Pirated Show Of 2012:

With its popularity swelling and no easy way to watch for viewers without cable, HBO’s hit series “Game of Thrones” is inspiring massive levels of piracy, according to numbers from the BitTorrent-tracking and analysis firm Big Champagne. By the firm’s rough estimate, the second season of the show has been downloaded more than 25 million times from public torrent trackers since it began in early April, and its piracy hit a new peak following April 30th’s episode, with more than 2.5 million downloads in a day.

#208 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,857 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

HBO's 'Game Of Thrones' On Track To Be Crowned Most Pirated Show Of 2012:

With its popularity swelling and no easy way to watch for viewers without cable, HBO’s hit series “Game of Thrones” is inspiring massive levels of piracy, according to numbers from the BitTorrent-tracking and analysis firm Big Champagne. By the firm’s rough estimate, the second season of the show has been downloaded more than 25 million times from public torrent trackers since it began in early April, and its piracy hit a new peak following April 30th’s episode, with more than 2.5 million downloads in a day.

"I tried to watch Game of Thrones..." has been posted here before, maybe? [language alert]

Personally, I watched most of season 1 via free HBO that came with a new satellite account (the merits of not having cable/satellite are discussed in another forum), then lost out on the final two episodes due to an act of God (lightning strike!), so bought the DVDs. Resubscribed to HBO for series 2 & will cut it off after that again. I'm enjoying watching the recorded episodes with friends. Still, HBO could have seen this piracy situation coming ten miles away. I'm not saying it's right. But obviously a lot of people lose that struggle with temptation, if they even care.

#209 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

New characters for the show's third season. I'm super happy to (finally) see the Blackfish, and I'm also excited that they didn't cut the Reeds out of the picture.

But, to borrow from the Wire: "Where's Patchface, String? Where's Patchface?"

#210 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,225 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Haven't read this thread, so apologies if this has come up (but it's 11 pages long people).

Having read the first book and half of the second and watched the dvd of S1 episode at least three times I am STILL confused about Joreh's involvement or not in Dany's assassination attempt. He gets a message from Vaserys offering a pardon and then intervenes to stop the poisoning...is this supposed to imply that the pardon would be for stopping it. Vaserys says to Ned that he can't stop, that the bird has already flown. Is the implication that the message he gets that a pardon will be offered if he kills her but he declines, responding like Ned that this is dishonorable...? If so, why does he appear to know about the merchant and only stop him AFTER the letter?

Any clarifications in a PM or here would be much appreciated..or a link to where this has been discussed already.

#211 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Ken,
Spoiler

#212 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Spoiler

Edited by Jason Panella, 18 January 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#213 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#214 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,130 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

And ... introducing Ciaran Hinds and Diana Rigg ...

#215 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,130 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

#216 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Ken and Anna, going back to our discussion about Jorah and his motives....

Spoiler

#217 Russ

Russ

• 1,099 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

After some recent hate-watching (House of Cards, The Walking Dead), it's nice to be back in the company of a series where I'm really sad when the ending credits hit the screen. I devoured the first season in a four-day period bookended by a weekend-- the sort of binge made nearly-impossible by work/family circumstances-- and went out and bought the second season, which I'm four episodes through.

Maybe the remaining six episodes depart from this model, but I really like the way in which the battle scenes have been elided thus far, whether that was an aesthetic or budgetary decision. We've got collective battle-ennui at this point, which is part of the reason watching THE HOBBIT is such a slog, and the thought of two more of those films is less-than-enthralling.

Edited by Russ, 06 March 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#218 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

There's a battle near the end of the season that definitely isn't elided. Maybe skirting the early battles was a deliberate choice to make that big one have even more of an impact; it ties together a lot of the threads from the season.

#219 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

Maybe the remaining six episodes depart from this model, but I really like the way in which the battle scenes have been elided thus far, whether that was an aesthetic or budgetary decision. We've got collective battle-ennui at this point, which is part of the reason watching THE HOBBIT is such a slog, and the thought of two more of those films is less-than-enthralling.

From what I've read, the decision was 95% budget-related. Lots of the book series's superfans howled about this constantly online, as it goes. Tyler's right, though; the battle near the end of the second season works so well because they've avoided anything like it up until that point (that, and Neal Marshall knows how to do violence on the cheap). Not that this is any super departure from the books, though. Martin does talk a bit about battles, but never to any excruciating detail or anything.

Edited by Jason Panella, 26 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#220 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 519 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

In a strange turn of events, Clive Mantle - who plays the Greatjon - had part of his ear bitten off on Sunday.