Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

sad.gif

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,378 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

I second that.

As Arts and Faith enters a period of transition, and we wait for announcements regarding its future, let's learn what we can from recent difficulties, strive to behave as brothers and sisters, and extend to one another the kind of grace and patience that Christ shows to each of us in spite of our shortcomings. Let's be slow to presumption and accusation. Let's not bring up old disputes. And bear with me as I strive to do this too. It's my sincerest hope that, during this transition, we all stay in touch and grow closer as a community, instead of leaving a record of anger and bruising remarks. Arts and Faith began as a place to explore, discuss, and celebrate art and truth and beauty at the movies, in music, and more. It grew into a place where we have the opportunity to build each other up. I hope that is what we will learn to do better in the coming days.

[UPDATE (several weeks later): Mercy! If my speechifying bothered anyone, my apologies. During the week of A&F's near-collapse/change-over, I was worried for the future of this board, distraught at how many of us were hurt and upset, and regretful that I had not been more helpful. So I was preaching to myself as much as anybody.]

Edited by Overstreet, 10 June 2009 - 01:08 PM.

#3 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,859 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

Arts and Faith began as a place to explore, discuss, and celebrate art and truth and beauty at the movies, in music, and more. It grew into a place where we have the opportunity to build each other up. I hope that is what we will learn to do better in the coming days.

I don't know where to put my concern--it doesn't really seem worth starting a new thread for, but Overstreet's statement seems a propos to what's bothering me--which is the habit of linking to numerous movie reviews by critics who are not members of this board. This practice seems to just shut down exploration and discussion, because it takes responses elsewhere. Unless the critics linked to have an "arts & faith" perspective, what do their reviews add to A&F?

Please don't take me wrong--I'm not saying that there is no value in the views/writings of secular authors/critics. I'm just asking, if A&F is "a place where we have the opportunity to build each other up" and "explore, discuss, and celebrate art and truth and beauty..." etc.---shouldn't we be doing that primarily ourselves, rather than just posting links with comments like "Oh, Joe Blow hated the movie!"

Also, I'm not saying I'm without fault myself. I'll try to do better.

#4 pilgrimscrybe

pilgrimscrybe

• 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (BethR @ Jun 7 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Arts and Faith began as a place to explore, discuss, and celebrate art and truth and beauty at the movies, in music, and more. It grew into a place where we have the opportunity to build each other up. I hope that is what we will learn to do better in the coming days.

I don't know where to put my concern--it doesn't really seem worth starting a new thread for, but Overstreet's statement seems a propos to what's bothering me--which is the habit of linking to numerous movie reviews by critics who are not members of this board. This practice seems to just shut down exploration and discussion, because it takes responses elsewhere. Unless the critics linked to have an "arts & faith" perspective, what do their reviews add to A&F?

Please don't take me wrong--I'm not saying that there is no value in the views/writings of secular authors/critics. I'm just asking, if A&F is "a place where we have the opportunity to build each other up" and "explore, discuss, and celebrate art and truth and beauty..." etc.---shouldn't we be doing that primarily ourselves, rather than just posting links with comments like "Oh, Joe Blow hated the movie!"

Also, I'm not saying I'm without fault myself. I'll try to do better.

I'm rather new around here, but I must admit that I've appreciated the links to the secular critics as well as those who may share an arts & faith perspective but are not members of A&F. For me personally, it's allowed me to encounter perspectives and opinions I may not have encountered otherwise (even if I think they are way off base, heh). I get how a "link and run" approach could be frustrating to some folks, but on the whole, I'd hope that these kinds of linkings would be more helpful than destructive. But then, that's a "newbie" opinion (do people even use that term anymore, or am I behind the times?!) smile.gif

#5 djs

djs

• 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

Ok, so this is rather off topic for this thread if not for its title, but I've had a lot of troubles with this board. Two in-depth comments of paintings (weeks ago, would no longer be able to replicate what I said) refused to take, and I also seem unable to start topics, at least in some sections. I don't know what's up w/ that. And frankly, I may not be taking further time at this point to experiment. But I wanted to let the powers that be know that perhaps some of us IMAGE folk who have tried to integrate are having big troubles.

Best,
D

#6 Jim Janknegt

Jim Janknegt

• 214 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (djs @ Jun 20 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, so this is rather off topic for this thread if not for its title, but I've had a lot of troubles with this board. Two in-depth comments of paintings (weeks ago, would no longer be able to replicate what I said) refused to take, and I also seem unable to start topics, at least in some sections. I don't know what's up w/ that. And frankly, I may not be taking further time at this point to experiment. But I wanted to let the powers that be know that perhaps some of us IMAGE folk who have tried to integrate are having big troubles.

Best,
D

If you are interested in visual art I sure hope you stick around. There don't seem to be too many people on these boards that are. Most seem to be interested in film and music (not complaining just seems to be the facts.) I am not the guy but there are people around who can help with the technical problems which it sounds like you are having. I seem to remember some sort of restriction on new members originating new topics until they had made a certain number of posts as a way to limit spamming. Perhaps that is part of the problems you are having. Any way I hope you stick around.

Jim

#7 djs

djs

• 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:30 PM

Jim and e2c,

Thanks. Who is the normal techie person from the arts and faith side of things though? B/c w/ my earlier probs, it seems that's where Greg wanted to direct me.

Emily, yeah, I normally copy. I don't know why I didn't this time (especially after one not taking, but I guess I thought it just might take awhile to show up, as on some boards they screen your responses). I'll probably just try posting in visual art again someday. I thought perhaps the different categories needed to be individually unlocked for a contributor. And this is why I stopped trying. Obviously, I've been able to post in the "About" section. So that much is working, and from what you say, it sounds like this board may just have some "off" days.

Jim, I remember commenting on one of your paintings actually--Jesus at temple/school. MUCH to like in content and technique!!! And it reminded me a bit of murals in Latin America (when I was in Iquitos, Peru... I searched in vain online for further examples of the paintings that had interested me--our loss). I found the choice of border fascinating for gentle contrast (and for its upstaging up top)--got me thinking about the Garden of Eden too... the dim echo reverberating, the splash of color in the florals/fruit of an otherwise muted border calling forth the interior light. However, I am more an appreciator than a knowledgeable contributor. Although I do believe (when money and general situation permits) that I may get (back) into amateur nature photography someday, my abilities in the visual arts are generally lacking. I write poetry and such. It seems, however, out of what is most actively engaged on this board, browsing the visuals might be what draws me back.

Best,
Deb

#8 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (djs @ Jun 20 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jim and e2c,

Thanks. Who is the normal techie person from the arts and faith side of things though? B/c w/ my earlier probs, it seems that's where Greg wanted to direct me.

Best,
Deb

Deb,

I changed you to Member. Thanks for your patience! You should be free to post topics now.