• 17,486 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

I think I'm going to be sick.

#2 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

I read this earlier when you posted it on Facebook, Jeff I'm sick with you. Wait...you know what I mean.

Some of the comments that defend that translation are interesting, almost corporate shill-ish.

#3 Sara Zarr

Sara Zarr

Drive-By Poster / The Glen Online

• Glen Online
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:14 PM

And here's a great book to help clarify WHY the idea of a Christian America is mostly a myth, and always has been:

The Search for Christian America by Mark Noll et al

I read this with a book club a couple of years ago - TOTALLY FASCINATING, and educational. A great case for not getting your patriotism and your Bible mixed up.

#4 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

Frankly, I'm surprised that it has taken so long for such a volume to be published. Thomas Nelson is publishing this. I would suspect that this Bible will have some appeal in particular sectors of American publishing, however I would think that Nelson is compromised in some of those sectors by long connection with SBC, whether it is now or not.

I eagerly await Dr. Lee's defense against Boyd. I'd also like to look it over myself and/or read a more measured criticism of this than Boyd's. FWIW, I'm pretty much disgusted with niche market "study" Bibles in general. This seems to be just another one.

OH, and one more thing. I have an acquaintance who styles himself a patriot and has a very sectarian and eccentric use of the word patriot. I'd be surprised if he found value in this as well.

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 26 May 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#5 Christian

Christian

• 11,047 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

I was going to post that although the word "Patriot" is a lightning rod these days, any Bible with the word "American' in it probably should be avoided.

Then I remembered how, for many years, I chose to read only the New American Standard Version of the Bible.

Because I'm a patriot!

Edited by Christian, 26 May 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#6 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

Are Jesus' words in red, white, and blue?

Get it?

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,190 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

MLeary wrote:
: Are Jesus' words in red, white, and blue?

I want a Neapolitan Bible, with the words of Jesus in red, white and chocolate.

#8 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (MLeary @ May 26 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are Jesus' words in red, white, and blue?

Heh, that question crossed my mind as well when I first heard about this.

#9 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,748 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

Is this related to Peter Marshall's "The Light and the Glory"? I read that back in high school, and found it very interesting, and at the time, very compelling as an integrated reading of religious faith and calling in the course of US history. Now I realize that the particular integration tended to integrate the facts in light of the thesis, and conveniently dismiss some glaring issues (like slavery, etc). But the idea that God worked in the lives of the early European settlers in light of a larger vision was/is interesting. Now, the extreme is Dominionism, if I'm using the term correctly, and the fallout of the political legacy of the Religious Right will likely find the audience for the New Patriot Bible more willing to be led to the water that they want to drink without engaging the glaring issues prima facie present with an "American" Bible, based not on translation peculiarities, but on some form of Manifest Destiny/Christendom.

I suspect that opinion here will be pretty much on the full-condemnation mode for Nelson's publication, and I'll expect to be right alongside it sight unseen, but as I mentioned at Jeffrey's FB posting, I do expect that my step-dad would love this thing. He's really into this kind of Americana/Christian nation phenomenon, and I would probably score huge points for getting it as a gift. It would be an interesting conversation to have. Anyone else have any family who'd be into this thing?

#10 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (Buckeye Jones @ May 26 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else have any family who'd be into this thing?

Oooooooooooooooooooooh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,190 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

My favorite line on this comes from one of my Facebook friends: "I wonder if, when the Christian bookstore closes at night, this Bible and the new Green Bible jump off the shelves and bitch-slap each other till the break of day."

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 26 May 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#12 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,877 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:21 AM

Last year, I think, there was a tremendous article in the New Yorker about sitting in on one of these Study Bible editorialship meetings, focusing on every style and affiliation.

And in light of this, I think that the publishing industry has a tremendous opportunity to do a Study Bible right.

I'm actually looking for a quality study Bible right now. My last Study Bible, "The Saints Devotional Study Bible", compiling writings of the Church Fathers and canonized Saints in the margins, associated with particular verses, was wonderful. But the Bible's spine is ripped, and the translation (New Jerusalem) is now irking me in ways that would hijack this thread.

So I'll be looking for a non-gender-inclusive, non-"Yahweh"'d version with writings of canonized Saints in the margins, including the Apocrypha. A Pope John Paul II Devotional Bible would be great, considering the wealth of his output, and the theological density of his writings. Or something similar to what I had before.

It doesn't exist. And, assuming those publishing types don't read this board, it never will.

As it stands, I've just purchased a Navarre Bible Compact New Testament (RSV), and I will be also purchasing the New Oxford Study Bible (RSV) with Apocrypha. The latter is wall-to-wall commentary, culled from the writings of the Church Fathers, the latter isn't, but it's still a swell translation, and it, supposedly, has the exact same dimensions as the former.

I'm going to then take both of these to a book binder and have them combine the two Bibles together. And then I'll be in the market for a Bible cover which can handle a 3" spine.

In a perfect world, I should never have to do this. But then again, these focus groups have never asked me what I'd want in a Bible.

#13 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Peter T Chattaway @ May 26 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want a Neapolitan Bible, with the words of Jesus in red, white and chocolate.

I'd like this Bible too, please.

#14 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Nick Alexander @ May 27 2009, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to then take both of these to a book binder and have them combine the two Bibles together. And then I'll be in the market for a Bible cover which can handle a 3" spine.

If you lived closer, I could do this for you in Moroccan pebble grain. 3 inches is well within the limits of a book bound for lay-flat daily use.

#15 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Peter T Chattaway @ May 26 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favorite line on this comes from one of my Facebook friends: "I wonder if, when the Christian bookstore closes at night, this Bible and the new Green Bible jump off the shelves and bitch-slap each other till the break of day."

The ultimate competitive Bible is still on the way. Once the Pacifist's/Commie's Study Bible is released (Jesus' words in yellow, social justice passages in Bolshevik Red), then we'll have a fair comparison. My prediction is that the Patriot's Bible will beat the shit out of the cover of the PC Study Bible, and the PC Study Bible will turn its front cover to its back cover, which will then be pulverized by the Patriot's Bible.

#16 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

This is a sad topic, but the comments have been hilarious. Keep 'em coming!

#17 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

Atheists are offended, too.

#18 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,190 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

Josh Hurst wrote:
: Atheists are offended, too.

They can make their own study bible. (But what colour(s) would suit them best?)

#19 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (Peter T Chattaway @ May 27 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They can make their own study bible. (But what colour(s) would suit them best?)

Lessee, Jesus' words in black?

QUOTE (Nick Alexander @ May 27 2009, 05:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and I will be also purchasing the New Oxford Study Bible (RSV) with Apocrypha.

This one is not RSV, but as gender neutral as possible under the circumstances NRSV. I just bought one for the parish library. It will be roundly ignored in the parish for its lack of gender specificity and possibly for not being the hallowed KJV.

Nick, I read the NJB as my first choice for personal study and devotions. PM me with your frustrations. I've been reading it or the JB for 35 years. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

#20 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Peter T Chattaway @ May 27 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[Atheists] can make their own study bible. (But what colour(s) would suit them best?)

Invisible ink?

Members of the much-discussed "Jesus Seminar" used colored marbles to indicate their confidence in the authenticity of the sayings of Jesus, did they not? What about a study Bible with color codes to match the marbles? There's a missed opportunity.

Edited by mrmando, 28 May 2009 - 02:16 AM.