Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2012)

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,572 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In) has been signed by Working Title films to direct an adaptation of John LeCarre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which will be adapted by screenwriter/playwright Peter Morgan. This is one of my favorite books and mini-series, filmed in 1979, and I think it's going to be interesting to see how Morgan will update the material, and compress it into feature film length (the mini-series was nearly 8 hours).

No word on casting, but I would love to see Ian McKellan or Michael Gambon take on the role of George Smiley (originated by Alec Guiness). However, both of them will probably be too busy with their wizard roles in the next couple of years, to be available for this. Patrick Stewart would also be an interesting choice - and he did have a brief scene in the original mini-series as George Smiley's nemesis Karla.

Story here.

Edited by SDG, 11 December 2011 - 08:54 PM.

#2 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,453 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

Good catch, this is one of my favorite le Carre's. I can see this director bringing the necessary clinical vibe to the storyline.

#3 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,078 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

Michael Gambon would be better than McKellan or Stewart for this particular role (he's going to be busy with his wizard role? but ... oh nevermind)

Although, I'd almost rather give the role to Alan Rickman.

#4 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,572 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Persiflage @ Jul 10 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...he's going to be busy with his wizard role? but ... oh nevermind

I think I know what you're saying, and I had totally forgotten.

#5 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,126 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

A buddy of mine - Bart Cusveller - just suggested Geoffrey Rush. He's Australian, but I still think that's the best idea I've heard yet.

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,126 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Oldman in the lead?

And, potentially... Thewlis! Firth! Fassbender!

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,509 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Link to the Playlist post that Slashfilm borrows its information from.

#8 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,785 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

Gary Oldman talks George Smiley. With what might be our first glimpse of Oldman in the role. And also his children:

Those boys are my greatest accomplishment - they're marvellous [sic] kids. I've been very lucky to do the Potters and the Batmans because it has enabled me to be at home for longer periods.

#9 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,785 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

Universal to distribute

Universal Pictures has acquired domestic distribution rights to Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Spy, the Tomas Alfredson-directed adaptation of the John Le Carre novel that stars Gary Oldman, freshly minted Oscar winner Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong and Ciaran Hinds. The rights were held by Studiocanal, and the film was produced by Working Title. Universal is eyeing a November or December release for the picture, which is in post production. Script was written by Bridget O'Connor and Peter Straughan.

Benedict Cumberbatch is also in the movie. Which, combined with the other actors involved, makes this my favorite cast of the upcoming year.

Edited by NBooth, 28 February 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#10 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

Benedict Cumberbatch is also in the movie. Which, combined with the other actors involved, makes this my favorite cast of the upcoming year.

I agree... in spite of Mark Strong. I've hit my Mark Strong saturation point. I don't know what he's done to deserve so many high-profile roles. I mean, he's pretty good, but how is he getting into these amazing casts of A-listers?

#11 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,190 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

There was a Brit TV version of this years ago. I don't think I saw it but it was meant to be pretty good.

Matt

#12 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

There was a Brit TV version of this years ago. I don't think I saw it but it was meant to be pretty good.

I know that Le Carre devotees consider it to be the best adaptation of any of his novels, if that means anything.

#13 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,453 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

I know that Le Carre devotees consider it to be the best adaptation of any of his novels, if that means anything.

Can't think of a higher recommendation than that. It is a bit lengthy, but fairly stunning as far as TV miniseries go. Features a vintage Patrick Stewart role as well.

#14 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,572 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

Can't think of a higher recommendation than that. It is a bit lengthy, but fairly stunning as far as TV miniseries go. Features a vintage Patrick Stewart role as well.

Alec Guinness portrayed George Smiley in both this and a later miniseries made from the novel Smiley's People. He considered it one of his favorite roles.

#15 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,126 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

I've seen pieces of it. What I saw was really, really good. I've always meant to go back and see it straight through.

Edited by Overstreet, 01 March 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#16 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,785 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

I've got the miniseries hanging out in my Netflix queue waiting for me to get around to reading the book (my only previous novel by this author was The Spy who Came in from the Cold, which is really good. I still think of it every time I hear Bowie's "Heroes" for some reason).

#17 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,426 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

I've got the miniseries hanging out in my Netflix queue waiting for me to get around to reading the book (my only previous novel by this author was The Spy who Came in from the Cold, which is really good. I still think of it every time I hear Bowie's "Heroes" for some reason).

Oh, THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD is definitely my favorite of le Carre's work. The 1965 film adaptation is pretty sublime, too.

#18 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,126 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

I just finished watching the BBC series with Alec Guinness. It was very good. I found it very difficult to follow sometimes, mostly because I didn't have access to subtitles and the sound on this old TV series is pretty bad, and I struggled to follow some of the conversations. It's a very densely packed script, which I'm sure was much easier to follow in the novel.

Guinness is superb, masterfully subtle, creating a man who has as passion for the truth, and shows great courage for his country, even as he conceals (or denies) the bottomless pit of sadness in his heart.

I can't wait to see Gary Oldman in this role. It's perfect for him. And yet, this story is so labyrinthine even in a 6-hour treatment that I cannot imagine what they'll do to condense it to two hours. It'll be a very different story, I suspect.

#19 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,572 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

I just finished watching the BBC series with Alec Guinness. It was very good. I found it very difficult to follow sometimes, mostly because I didn't have access to subtitles and the sound on this old TV series is pretty bad, and I struggled to follow some of the conversations. It's a very densely packed script, which I'm sure was much easier to follow in the novel.

Guinness is superb, masterfully subtle, creating a man who has as passion for the truth, and shows great courage for his country, even as he conceals (or denies) the bottomless pit of sadness in his heart.

I can't wait to see Gary Oldman in this role. It's perfect for him. And yet, this story is so labyrinthine even in a 6-hour treatment that I cannot imagine what they'll do to condense it to two hours. It'll be a very different story, I suspect.

Now you need to follow up with Smiley's People, which was not as difficult to follow, and had better production values. My favorite roles of Alec Guinness.

#20 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,785 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Release date set: November 18