Photo

Songs You're Embarrassed To Admit You Like

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,887 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

We've had threads that dance around this subject, but I don't know that we've had one that puts the question so directly.

It's a question that was recently raised by Steve Waldman:

Here's my list. I've never before admitted my affection for these, so be gentle.

Rocky Mountain High by John Denver
Ring of Fire, version by Olivia Newton John
I'll Always Love You, Dolly Parton version
Happy Together by the Turtles
Delta Dawn by Helen Reddy
The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia by Vicki Lawrence
You're the One That I Want from Grease (Olivia Newton John and John Travolta)
Dark Lady by Cher
Anything by Renaissance

I'm not sure, however, about Waldman's conclusion that "there are some bands that would have been embarrassing, say, ten years ago but which are now kinda cool. Queen, Elton John and Billy Joel, for instance." I think Queen might qualify as cool, but the other two, no way.

But back to the topic at hand. One recent song I'm embarrassed to admit that I like:

The Climb, Miley Cyrus -- every cliche in the book, but I imagine my daughters being a few years older and responding positively to it. That's right, I have to imagine my kids actually listening to it, and then I like it. I haven't figured this out either.

#2 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,629 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals... and yes, I own The Raw and the Cooked.

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,275 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

I'm embarrassed to admit that I really like this song. But *only* this version of it:

#4 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Overstreet @ Jul 22 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm embarrassed to admit that I really like this song. But *only* this version of it:

OMIGOSH, that is AWESOME!

Copa Cobanna - Barry Manilow
Dancing Queen - Abba
Convoy - I have no idea

#5 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

Jeff, I like the REAL Rick Astley version. So there! Ha!

I really, really liked Blue Oyster Cult (sorry, ahem — Blue Öyster Cult) when I was in high school. I think I own most of their albums. Goodness, they're pretty awful. But I still break 'em out to listen every once in a while.

I also have an insane list of pop songs that I'm not ashamed to sing along to. You name it, it's on there...especially stuff from the '80 and '90s! Yeah!

#6 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,749 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

These are a few guilty pleasures i've indulged in over the past week:
Run to the Hills- Iron Maiden
Magic Touch--KISS (this is included not because it's KISS, but because it's post-1977 KISS)
Get Down Tonight-- KC and the Sunshine Band
Nowhere To Go, Nowhere To Be-- Kenny Chesney

Then saturday night i fell off the wagon and listened to some tunes my wife and I played at a friends wedding 14 years ago... Thoroughly enjoyed them...

I Will Be Here-- Steven Curtis Chapman
This is the Day- Scott Wesley Brown

This led us to put on a newer, shameless sappy song and one that I confess frequently leaves me in a blubbering heap.

Edited by Greg P, 22 July 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#7 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

Oh! Oh! Oh! Does this count?

I can't listen to it but I really like to IMITATE Stryper's "To Hell with the Devil."

Especially the ending:

Deviiiiil ----

DeviiiiiiiiiiiLLLLL ----

DeeeeeVVVVVIIILLLLLLLLLLL ----

DEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

#8 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,218 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

I really like a bit of Journey, especially "Don't Stop Believin'", "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)", and "I'll Be Alright Without You."

#9 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

For 80s synth mania:
Men WIthout Hats - The Safety Dance
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round Like a Record

For out-of-control pseudo-operatic rock and roll:
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell
Guns n Roses -November Rain

And I must say, there is no excuse whatsoever for this:
Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina

#10 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Christian @ Jul 22 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my list. I've never before admitted my affection for these, so be gentle.

Rocky Mountain High by John Denver
The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia by Vicki Lawrence

No, sir. These are 2 songs not to be embarrassed about liking. If, indeed they are by objective standards, than I wear my ignorance blissfully.

I will add one song to the list. Everyone I've played it for has liked it and then responded with "Oh?! Really...? Uh...?":

Love Song by Hanson

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong, 23 July 2009 - 02:24 AM.

#11 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (Christian @ Jul 22 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll Always Love You, Dolly Parton version

This is the only version of the song worth hearing...well, I have a nice little recording of Gene Eugene performing it solo with just a piano, but otherwise...the Dolly version is the best version.

Toxic-Britney Spears (although, I especially like the two acoustic covers of the song I have by Tristan Prettyman and another girl folk singer)

Edited by Nezpop, 23 July 2009 - 07:31 AM.

#12 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,857 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:35 AM

I can't imagine anybody being embarrassed by this song (Rolling Stone, at the time, gave this album 4.5 stars), but apparently the singer (Peter Wolf, formerly of the J Geils Band) is, since he refuses to have this album in print, and is unavailable anywhere.

Lights Out - by Peter Wolf.

Me, I have to rely upon shaky-cam VHS copies of the video somewhere on YouTube.

How about liking any song from Purple Rain that isn't from Prince? (_Jungle Love_ from The Time, the band who has a person who plays the mirror).

Lastly, doesn't liking anything from CCM/Christian Rock something to be embarrassed by? I shutter to say that Rez Band's "Love Comes Down" is pure awesomeness, even though it has been persuasively been pointed out to me that the song's riff is a shameless ripoff of AC/DC, somewhere. I shutter to say that Michael W Smith's "Love Me Good" is as infectious as ear candy as I have succombed.

#13 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

I'm not sure, however, about Waldman's conclusion that "there are some bands that would have been embarrassing, say, ten years ago but which are now kinda cool. Queen, Elton John and Billy Joel, for instance." I think Queen might qualify as cool, but the other two, no way.

In high school I owned (and I guess still own) practically every Billy Joel album on cassette. In retrospect, I'm not sure why -- even then there weren't many songs of his I really liked beyond (some of) the hit singles. And even then I knew he was a mediocre lyricist.

I've never liked Elton John's music, but "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is amazing. Admittedly, it's possible I think so for Lars von Trier-related reasons.

My wife got me Bon Jovi's greatest hits for my last birthday. I was very happy to receive it.

Dlae

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 23 July 2009 - 10:46 AM.

#14 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

The 101 Strings version of 'Hard days night' from 101 Strings Play Tribute to the Beatles. Except of course, I'm not embarassed at all; I'm actually quite proud of liking it, strangely. The version of 'All you need is love' is also something special.

#15 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (M. Dale Prins @ Jul 23 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dlae

LOL

I don't have too much time now, but you know I'll be looking up the Von trier thing sometime today.

#16 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

re: Breaking the waves soundtrack

blechth!

#17 gigi

gigi

ReMember

• 950 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

I stubbornly refuse to be embarrassed by any of the music I like. Music taste, more than any other art form I think, is an ever so subjective thing and should never be apologised for.

Of course that doesn't exclude me from mocking other people's tastes in music. It's up to them to be as brazen as I am in denying that they could possibly be wrong about a song they like.

#18 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (gigi @ Jul 23 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stubbornly refuse to be embarrassed by any of the music I like. Music taste, more than any other art form I think, is an ever so subjective thing and should never be apologised for.

Of course that doesn't exclude me from mocking other people's tastes in music. It's up to them to be as brazen as I am in denying that they could possibly be wrong about a song they like.

Amen!

#19 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (gigi @ Jul 23 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree.

Def Leppard.

#20 Hugues

Hugues

• 944 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

Tuneful stuff with stupid lyrics. That makes so many songs.

But let's be clever: after all, most of the time, we speak of "music". Even the section of this forum is called "music".

Question: can any song with stupid lyrics be called "great"?

And can we agree on the stupidity of some lyrics, or is it subjective?

Too many questions: let's keep it cool and play some tuneful stuff. mf_clown.gif