Photo

Dark Shadows (2012)

Tim Burton

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,830 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

SDCC: Tim Burton's Next is Dark Shadows
Tim Burton announced at the San Diego Comic-Con that once he's done with Alice in Wonderland, his next project will be Dark Shadows.
The film will be based on the cult '60s supernatural TV show created by Dan Curtis. Johnny Depp is attached to play Barnabas Collins, the vampire patriarch of the series. . . .
ComingSoon.net, July 23

- - -

Hmmm. How many Tim Burton films have NOT been spin-offs or re-makes? (Reasonably original projects in BOLD.)

1985 -- Pee-Wee's Big Adventure -- a follow-up to the TV show The Pee-Wee Herman Show
1988 -- Beetle Juice
1989 -- Batman -- a re-imagining of the comic-book series previously adapted as a serial in the 1940s and as a TV show with movie spin-off in the 1960s
1990 -- Edward Scissorhands
1992 -- Batman Returns -- a sequel to Burton's own Batman
1994 -- Ed Wood -- borderline: an original biopic that allows Burton to re-make scenes from 1950s B-movies
1996 -- Mars Attacks! -- based on a series of trading cards
1999 -- Sleepy Hollow -- a re-imagining of the popular Washington Irving story previously adapted several times, perhaps most notably as a 1940s Disney cartoon
2001 -- Planet of the Apes -- a re-make of the 1968 Charlton Heston movie
2003 -- Big Fish
2005 -- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -- a re-make of the 1971 Gene Wilder movie
2005 -- Corpse Bride
2007 -- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street -- an adaptation of the popular Broadway musical
2009 -- Alice in Wonderland -- a re-imagining of the popular Lewis Carroll story previously adapted countless times, including a 1950s Disney cartoon
201? -- Dark Shadows -- an adaptation of the 1960s TV series that was previously re-made for TV in the 1990s

#2 J.R.

J.R.

• 235 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

There was talk of him remaking his short film Frankenweenie as a feature, but I guess that fell through. I've enjoyed all of the Burton/Depp collaborations, but it would be nice to see the two of them take a break.

#3 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,505 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

DARK SHADOWS begins shooting in January.

#4 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,265 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

FWIW, Edward Scissorhands was a riff on Frankenstein and Big Fish was an adaptation of a novel, so those aren't entirely original to Burton.

#5 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Johnny Depp To Start 'Dark Shadows' In April With Tim Burton Directing
It's star Johnny Depp's and Tim Burton's hotly anticipated next collaboration and movie. Seth Grahame-Smith, who made his Hollywood entry writing novels that put a macabre twist to literary classics and historical figures, recently snagged the high profile job of writing the new draft of the 1960s gothic daytime serial featuring the juicy role of vampire Barnabas Collins whom Depp has had a long obsession wanting to play. The film has been slated to begin production in January but today was pushed back to April. . . . John August was the first writer hired to script the project. Grahame-Smith got the job on the basis of his own bestselling novel, Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. . . .
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, November 4

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 04 November 2010 - 11:24 PM.

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,305 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Some photos.

Edited by Overstreet, 01 March 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#7 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,505 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

The trailer has arrived, and it makes clear that DARK SHADOWS is an out-and-out comedy.

Looks like BEETLEJUICE meets MARS ATTACKS.

#8 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,897 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

That one's dead now, but here's another [via FirstShowing]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upSANQs12p0&

I...dunno.... Perhaps if I had seen Mars Attacks or Beetlejuice I would be able to appreciate the full comic potential here, but right now it looks like a run of the mill fish-out-of-water comedy. I was expecting something a bit more...sick? Something more like the [non-Burton] Addams Family movies.

[N.B. I've not seen the original Dark Shadows soap, either]

Edited by NBooth, 15 March 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#9 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,505 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Something more like the [non-Burton] Addams Family movies.

I fail to see any significant difference between what that trailer puts on display and what the ADDAMS FAMILY flicks serve up.

[N.B. I've not seen the original Dark Shadows soap, either]

Very different from what the trailer offers. I imagine DARK SHADOWS fans are gonna riot. The show itself was deathly serious.

#10 Rachel Anne

Rachel Anne

• 683 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Vampire / disco / comedy? Seems familiar somehow...

Which actually I remember as a pretty good comedy.

Edited by bowen, 13 May 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Ryan H. wrote:
: I imagine DARK SHADOWS fans are gonna riot. The show itself was deathly serious.

Hmmm... are they playing this trailer before the new 21 Jump Street movie this weekend?

Incidentally, Mark Verheiden (a writer on the revamped Battlestar Galactica, among other things) was involved with a Dark Shadows pilot eight years ago (the cast of which included Jessica Chastain!) and had this to say, after seeing this new trailer:

Even then Dan Curtis, who was in his 70's at the time (and has since passed away) was talking about Johnny Depp's interest in playing Barnabas Collins. Working with Dan on the pilot was quite an experience, one that would require more time to explain than I'm currently willing to invest, but suffice to say that he was a man of... great passion. And I wonder what he would have thought of Burton's clearly comic take on the material. Curtis was very possessive of the franchise (justifiably) with many definitive ideas on how a series should proceed. And I suspect none of those ideas would have involved disco music, a mirror ball gag, 70's music, and comedic moments like Baranbas tooth-brushing his fangs.

That said, I think the new movie looks pretty hilarious, a return to the Burton Beetlejuice era, so I'll be there. But I don't want to be around if there really is an afterlife and Dan C.'s there catching a matinee showing. I'm not sure the universe could take the sundering intensity of his reaction... (Or maybe he'd love it! What do I know?)

#12 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,265 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

From the Pan's Labyrinth Facebook page:

♥ Pan's Labyrinth...then you'll ♥ Dark Shadows.

Be one of the first to see the trailer at Warner Bros. Cine - Latino

Posted Image

Edited by Tyler, 15 March 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#13 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Man, this looks hilarious.

I didn't have any interest until I started seeing ads on TV during NCAA action and checked out the trailer.

I've never seen any of Burton's famous comic films, though, so maybe I'm in a better position to appreciate this sort of thing.

Edit: You at least have to admit it looks loads better than Frankenweenie? Right? Right?!?

Edited by Timothy Zila, 25 March 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#14 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,265 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

I saw the trailer in front of The Hunger Games this weekend, and I honestly didn't think any of the jokes landed.

#15 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,265 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Jonathan Frid, who played Barnabas Collins on the Dark Shadows series, has died. He was 87.

The campy daytime soap was a year old and struggling in the ratings in 1967 when series creator Dan Curtis took his daughter's advice to "make it scarier." He introduced Barnabas Collins, and the ratings took off.

Curtis intended Barnabas to be a short-term villain but soon realized that the Shakespearean actor "brought a very gothic, romantic quality" to the role, Curtis later said. Frid remained on the ABC show until it left the air in 1971.

When Frid was asked for his advice on developing the character, he later recalled saying, "Make him human. Remember he's real, and every monster is a human of sorts."

Edited by Tyler, 21 April 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Several people on Facebook have joked that Frid must have seen the recent trailer, but I read somewhere that Frid actually has a cameo in the film, so perhaps he actually approves of what Burton has done with the franchise...

(Quick memory jog: Did Adam West turn down an opportunity to play Bruce Wayne's dad in Tim Burton's Batman, or was West never asked in the first place? I can't quite remember...)

#17 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,505 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

This is by far the worst film Burton has ever made.

#18 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

I asked this question at Facebook, but I hope no one minds if I ask it here, too:

What are the odds that Victoria, BC -- the "City of Gardens", the capital of my province, and the only major Canadian city west of the Great Lakes that exists south of the 49th Parallel -- would advertise itself as a skiing destination... on a train in New Hampshire... in 1972?

Ryan H. wrote:
: This is by far the worst film Burton has ever made.

I don't have much invested in Burtons' films one way or the other -- and I've never seen Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, so I haven't QUITE seen his entire filmography -- but Dark Shadows didn't seem markedly worse than most of his other recent films, to me. I mean, Johnny Depp didn't do any CGI-enhanced breakdancing this time around, for one thing.

Personally, I'm wondering what was up with those shots of Depp's character strolling around on a beach in the daylight, without any sort of umbrella to block his skin from the sun. (Yes, he's wearing gloves and sunglasses and a heavy coat, etc., but the skin on his face is still quite exposed to the elements, or exposed enough, at least, and since Depp turns here and there as he walks, it's not like he's keeping his head at a certain angle to the sun.) Are we supposed to believe it was really CLOUDY that day, or something?

#19 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,505 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

I don't have much invested in Burtons' films one way or the other -- and I've never seen Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, so I haven't QUITE seen his entire filmography -- but Dark Shadows didn't seem markedly worse than most of his other recent films, to me.

It's of a piece with what Burton has been giving us this decade, but boy, DARK SHADOWS reaches new levels of dullness as far as Burton's films are concerned.

#20 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,063 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

It's of a piece with what Burton has been giving us this decade, but boy, DARK SHADOWS reaches new levels of dullness as far as Burton's films are concerned.

Agreed. My review and 60-second review:

At least Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland had a go-for-broke sense of commitment. Charlie in particular had elements that made me grin with giddy delight—which only made the film’s wrongheaded excesses all the more frustrating. As for Alice, while I strongly disliked it, I don’t deny that it cast a potent spell.

Where is the spell in Dark Shadows? Above all, where is Barnabas Collins, with his aura of mystery and charm, his dangerous reserve and knowing smile? On the small screen, Barnabas strode into “Dark Shadows” in the second season like a force of nature. Released from a 200-year imprisonment locked in a coffin in the family mausoleum, he returned to his ancestral home, the castle-like Collinwood mansion in Collinsport, Maine, sweeping the Collins women off their feet with his courtly courtesies. “Surely not Vicky,” he smiles when introduced to young Victoria Winters, who bears an uncanny resemblance to his 18th-century love, Josette. “A name like Victoria is so beautiful that I could not bear to part with a single syllable of it.”

I would love to see Depp play this character—a character he’s wanted to play since childhood. He’d be great. Naturally, he’s playing someone completely different.

Granted, they give him that great line with Victoria (Bella Heathcote, who also plays Josette). But it’s a rare moment of grace in a character who more often comes off, like Depp’s Willy Wonka, as the ultimate fish out of water—a pasty-faced weirdo barely able to cope with the formidable task of interacting with human beings.

…the period trappings are impeccable, and probably the best thing about Dark Shadows. There are pot-smoking hippies in bell bottoms and microbuses, and the soundtrack is replete with the Moody Blues and Donovan. A movie theater marquee announces Superfly. Everything from lava lamps to Troll dolls to “Operation!” is a wonder to Barnabas.

If you are in love with the 1970s and Johnny Depp, perhaps you will enjoy this. Andrew O’Hehir says he knew he would love the film when he spotted a banana-seat Schwinn bicycle leaning against the front porch of Collinwood in an early scene. All right. But then comes a “happening” featuring Alice Cooper as himself (!), with a disco ball and cage dancers. At Collinwood. Is this really anyone’s idea of a good time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ndZrGSeLPs

Personally, I'm wondering what was up with those shots of Depp's character strolling around on a beach in the daylight, without any sort of umbrella to block his skin from the sun. (Yes, he's wearing gloves and sunglasses and a heavy coat, etc., but the skin on his face is still quite exposed to the elements, or exposed enough, at least, and since Depp turns here and there as he walks, it's not like he's keeping his head at a certain angle to the sun.) Are we supposed to believe it was really CLOUDY that day, or something?

Especially when you can SEE the sunlight on his skin, despite Burton's attempts to keep him in between the camera and the sun. Conversely, why, when Barnabas starts smoking in a stray sunbeam, actually catches fire, continues burning, and is finally doused with water, does he make no attempt to move out of the sunlight?

Once you start asking questions like that, it's hard to know where to stop. Why is Angelique apparently indestructible enough to survive room-shattering paranormal sex, yet starts falling to pieces during the climactic fight scene, which isn't a whole lot more violent? Why does Barnabas lie helplessly chained in the coffin when we know he could at least rise to his feet Nosferatu style, even after the lid has been lifted off by David?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tim Burton