Fantasy Football 09 (now 2013)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

Low pressure. Newbies welcome. <a href="http://football.fant...rts.yahoo.com/" target="_blank">http://football.fant....yahoo.com/</a>

Join a custom league:
League number 119325
password: safety

it's autodraft, you set the queue order you want and when everybody's on board, we'll let the computer do the draft
It's point scoring, so we don't have to worry about having an even number of teams.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 07 July 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#2 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:39 AM

This is so tempting. Can you guarantee that I won't need to go to Fantasy Football Anonymous?

QUOTE (Darrel Manson @ Aug 20 2009, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Low pressure. Newbies welcome. http://football.fant...orts.yahoo.com/

Join a custom league:
League number 663421
password: safety

it's autodraft, you set the queue order you want and when everybody's on board, we'll let the computer do the draft
It's point scoring, so we don't have to worry about having an even number of teams.

#3 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Greg Wolfe @ Aug 20 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is so tempting. Can you guarantee that I won't need to go to Fantasy Football Anonymous?

Well, I think the A&F league is the lowest pressure you're going to find. It's small, so there are always replacement players easily available. (Unless you and several friends join, which would make it more interesting). We did have one player a few years ago who felt the need to stop after one year - which is also understandable (especially by somebody like me who has 5 teams I'm getting ready for drafts)

Keep in mind that football is much easier than baseball or hockey in that you only have one lineup to set each week.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 21 August 2009 - 09:23 AM.

#4 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Darrel Manson @ Aug 21 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Greg Wolfe @ Aug 20 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I think the A&F league is the lowest pressure you're going to find. It's small, so there are always replacement players easily available.

This league is fun because it is small and you basically have all marquee players on your team. Give it a shot, we'd love to have you.

Hey Darrel, any guess as to draft date?

#5 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

Once it looks like we have everyone who's going to play, I'll give a few days notice (I'll email the league) to warn when I'm going to turn on the draft. Probably around the 2nd or 3rd of Sept.

If you have friends to invite, feel free.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 23 August 2009 - 09:04 AM.

#6 metalfoot

metalfoot

• 120 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

My appropriately named team, "LastPlaceGuaranteed" has now entered your league to be mocked, scorned, and spit upon.

#7 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:39 AM

just a little bump in case there's someone else who wants in. This weekend would be a good time to get ready for the draft. We're up to 7 teams.

#8 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

OK. I'm in.

So I set up my own team? Or I join someone's team?

Sorry, but you invited noobs. I'm the noobiest.

QUOTE (Darrel Manson @ Aug 29 2009, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just a little bump in case there's someone else who wants in. This weekend would be a good time to get ready for the draft. We're up to 7 teams.

#9 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

Basically, Greg, here's how it works:

Join the league Darrel set up using the appropriate league number and password.
Create a team.
Give your team a pseudo-clever name.
Pick the colors for your team.
Decide you don't like the colors and pick other colors for your team.
Decide the first colors were better after all and go back.
Rank, in your order of preference, between 0 and 400 players. (The rest will be drafted using Yahoo's preset rankings.)
Wait for the automatic draft.
Yell at Yahoo when it drafts you three kickers and no quarterbacks.
Drop two of the kickers and pick up whatever lame quarterbacks went undrafted.
Set your starting lineup for the first week of the NFL season.
Watch as half of your starting lineup gets injured and the other half gets suspended for drug use.
Etc.

It's fun! Much much fun!

Dale, twice a fantasy-football bridesmaid, never a fantasy-football bride

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 29 August 2009 - 10:26 PM.

#10 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

Thanks, Dale. I'll get started on the pseudo-clever....

QUOTE (M. Dale Prins @ Aug 29 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically, Greg, here's how it works:

Join the league Darrel set up using the appropriate league number and password.
Create a team.
Give your team a pseudo-clever name.
Pick the colors for your team.
Decide you don't like the colors and pick other colors for your team.
Decide the first colors were better after all and go back.
Rank, in your order of preference, between 0 and 400 players. (The rest will be drafted using Yahoo's preset rankings.)
Wait for the automatic draft.
Yell at Yahoo when it drafts you three kickers and no quarterbacks.
Drop two of the kickers and pick up whatever lame quarterbacks went undrafted.
Set your starting lineup for the first week of the NFL season.
Watch as half of your starting lineup gets injured and the other half gets suspended for drug use.
Etc.

It's fun! Much much fun!

Dale, twice a fantasy-football bridesmaid, never a fantasy-football bride

#11 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

Dale forgot to include: wonder how you'll ever deal with half you team having the same bye week.

#12 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

Forgive me: how obsessive should I be about picking players for the draft?

Should I exclude a bunch of lesser-knowns to increase my odds of getting who I want?

I'm already...obsessing.

Not good.

QUOTE (Darrel Manson @ Aug 29 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dale forgot to include: wonder how you'll ever deal with half you team having the same bye week.

#13 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

If you want to make sure you get Devery Henderson (last pick in the 16 team, 17 round draft I did earlier today) feel free to list him as your first pick.

You'll probably find that the yahoo listings aren't too bad. You may seem some players ranked high that you don't think much of. Moving them down in your queue will probably mean you won't get them.

There are 3 or 4 Fantasy magazines that you can get that will probably have their rankings of players, which will differ somewhat from Yahoo.

The thing about autodraft is that you really don't have much control, so there's not much to obsess over. Live drafts are another matter.

#14 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

Well, I did exclude Terrell Owens and the guy who doesn't know how to quit gracefully (you know, BF).

So at least I will have a team that is somewhat morally superior....

;-)

I assume that skill plays a role at some point in this process -- once the draft is done? -- or is it all just dumb luck?

#15 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:39 AM

Regarding autodraft, what Darrel said, with this addendum: We have eight teams right now, which will each be drafting 16 players: 128 players total, unless another team joins. If there's a player you'd really like who's ranked by Yahoo, say, 110th, 120th, you might want to move him up to, oh, 75th or so -- you're probably safe with that. Because of the way Yahoo autopicks, though -- which is that if you don't have a x positions filled with any players from those positions with x rounds to go, those x rounds must be players from those x positions -- I won't go much lower than about 90th for a low-ranked player that you really want to have. If he's around 75th, you might want to move him up to about 50th; if 50th, maybe 30th; if 30th, 15th or so.

I am extremely unobsessive about picking players for the draft, and it constantly gets me finishes in the top half of the league (if never first place).

I assume that skill plays a role at some point in this process -- once the draft is done? -- or is it all just dumb luck?

There's some luck -- like that which belongs to whoever drafted Adrian Peterson in the sixth round his rookie season -- but there's a lot of less-luck-related with your roster from week-to-week: deciding who's starting and who's benching, filling your (ugh) bye-week holes with the best TE you can find from the free agency pool, figuring out if it's worth wasting a bench spot with a star player injured through at least week 13, etc. There's also the option of trading players with your GM comrades, but in my experience no one does that much but me (and, obviously, people who are right then trading with me).

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 30 August 2009 - 01:49 AM.

#16 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

I'll turn on the draft Friday morning (which means it will draft Friday or over the weekend) so there is still a little bit of time to join in.

#17 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

Now that the World Cup is done, it's time to think about Football American Style.

The A&F League is open to newbies as well as returning players. Wanna join in?

We usually do this as a straight points league. Wanna change? head to head (requires even number of teams)? You can look over the settings and see if you think points should be adjusted.

#18 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Bump.

There are 5 teams there now. Plenty of room. Newbies welcome.

#19 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,899 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

sorry man, I just don't have the stomach to do an autodraft league. If you start up a live draft league let me know.

Regardless, thank God the NFL's starting up again soon. The offseason's been too long.

#20 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,572 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

OK, if you have friends you're going to recruit, it's getting to be time. I'm thinking the first few days of September to turn the draft switch to on.

Persiflage, I try to keep this league as simple as possible. I'll be doing my first live auction this season in another league.