Photo

Upgrade: Skinning done 10/19/2009! Please help.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,536 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

Wow! Like anything, this is going to take a bit of getting used to, but I like quite a bit of the changes. Thanks for the hard work in getting it this far.

One question - I was looking at the members list and wondering what I have to do to tarnish my reputation? Other than by asking that question, that is.... :D

#22 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hi Anna and others involved in helping us with our wonderful little board,

I just want to chime in with all the kiss butts around here and say that you are loved, thanks for your hard work.

Oh, and this -

what I have to do to tarnish my reputation?

Hang out more with Prins. and Smedberg too.

Edited by Persona, 13 October 2009 - 08:08 AM.

#23 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,307 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

Another question: Would it be possible to get the "indent" feature tweaked back to the way it was, so that the board put a slight gap or buffer between the indented text and the text surrounding it? It used to be that the "indent" feature was indistinguishable from the "blockquote" command in regular HTML, but now the "indented" text is treated somewhat... differently. I'm not sure why that would be, but at any rate, in its current form, it makes many posts look a little too text-dense.

FWIW, I also don't care for the new format that accompanies the "spoiler" tags. Before, it just blocked out text without disturbing the shape of the paragraph, which was good. But now, it creates buttons and extra words and long empty white lines and feels like an overly-fussy imitation of the "hide" feature (which, alas, is also somewhat interrupted now: you can still HIDE text, but pressing the button no longer SHOWS the text).

I am intrigued to see that the links we create (with the "url" feature) no longer open brand new windows when we click on them. That might be an improvement, actually; if I want to open a link in a new window or tab, I can always press the buttons on my mouse a little differently.

#24 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

PTC's 16,000+ (!) posts reminded me: I'm glad that the join date and no. of posts are listed under handle names again. I hope that's not lost when y'all make your adjustments.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 14 October 2009 - 11:18 AM.

#25 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

Wow, thanks for all your support, everybody!

I don't know if we can do anything about some of the more cosmetic changes, like what spoiler tags look like now, but we're taking stock of all the suggestions and comments.

The board will be offline tonight for several hours while we overhaul. And we will have help with the technical difficulties, so we're not fumbling around in the depths of administration by ourselves. Although that would have comical results, I'm sure.

#26 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,307 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

Something else to watch for (forgive me if someone has already mentioned it):

In the 'What We're Watching...' thread, Darrel recently posted the title of a film, and it was italicized -- which I assume means he used the square-bracketed tags for italicizing things. But when I QUOTED his post in my reply to him, the tags came with pointy brackets instead -- and thus the tags remained visible when his post was embedded in my reply to it. So it seems the board is converting square-bracketed style tags to pointy-bracketed style tags, but not back again when needed.

#27 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,214 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:49 AM

Ze goggles! Zey do nothing!!

#28 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:29 AM

We were able to change about half the skin, but a lot of it is yet to be changed. As luck would have it, the upgrade happened exactly the week of the biannual IMAGE board meeting, so we won't be able to make it look better until Monday or Tuesday. So sorry!

This is what we WERE able to change:

1) Old HTML tags are being converted so they don't show up like this: <!--quoteo(post=205497:date=Oct 8 2009, 09:23 AM:name=BethR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BethR @ Oct 8 2009, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=205497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}> The Invision system is automating it somehow, but it's going to take a while because we have so many posts.

2) To insert Youtube or any other videos, click the "media" icon when you're posting, to the right of the Insert Code Snippet icon.

3) To view new posts instead of viewing the first post, click on the little yellow icon to the left of the thread title that says "go to first unread post."

4) Top100 avatars should now be available.

5) Indent feature should be working correctly

I'm really not sure about the quotes. Maybe if we're lucky they will get fixed as Invision changes the old HTML tags. We'll see.

Anything else (besides kudos on the lovely juxtaposition of pink and grey)? Comment here!

#29 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,536 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention on the old board, but I'm loving the "fast reply" feature.

#30 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention on the old board, but I'm loving the "fast reply" feature.

It was always there -- I used it all the time -- although I think you had to hit a button first to go to it. The revamp just shortened it by a step, which is good.

Dale

#31 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,307 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

Anna J wrote:
: 2) To insert Youtube or any other videos, click the "media" icon when you're posting, to the right of the Insert Code Snippet icon.

Any other? ANY OTHER!?

Let's try Google Video ...

http://video.google....276319136441602

... and Vimeo.

http://www.vimeo.com/5494280

Well, one out of two ain't bad. Awesome.

#32 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,536 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

Oh wow!!! Now I can go back and make a direct connect to Turkish Star Wars and Turkish Star Trek!

#33 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,425 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

If you are a person that prefers not to have an avatar you get penalized with a big red X. Is there some way to fix that? If not, I guess I will just be big red X dude.

#34 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,307 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

FWIW, I don't see a big red X. Maybe it only shows to the person whose avatar space is empty?

#35 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

I don't see a red X either....

#36 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

I see a broken image. Maybe it's different browsers -- I'm Chrome/PC.

Dale

#37 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,307 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:43 AM

M. Dale Prins wrote:
: Maybe it's different browsers -- I'm Chrome/PC.

Ah, good point. I normally use Firefox, but I just opened this page in Internet Explorer and saw the red X there. So I guess there's something there in the code that causes some browsers to say "Hey, we don't know what to do with this!" and other browsers to shrug their shoulders and ignore it entirely.

#38 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:03 AM

Peter,

That video made me smile. :)

PS edit - why is everything italicized?

Edited by Persona, 16 October 2009 - 08:03 AM.

#39 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

Hi friends,

Huzzah! I was finally able to do away with the salmon. I know it's still lurking in some places like "View New Content," so if you see anything that is still pinkish or randomly green or any other jarring color, please leave a link here and I will try to dispose of it straightaway.

Question: Are the "Edit," "Reply," MultiQuote" buttons at the bottom of each post still pink for you all? I'm seeing gray and Greg's seeing pink, so I can't figure out what's wrong. I am new at this, so if anyone has any skinning tips, please don't hesitate to offer me advice.

#40 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,214 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

Still pink here.