Photo

Upgrade: Skinning done 10/19/2009! Please help.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 TexasWill

TexasWill

Easy Black Russian Terror Suspect

• 639 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

Question: Are the "Edit," "Reply," MultiQuote" buttons at the bottom of each post still pink for you all? I'm seeing gray and Greg's seeing pink, so I can't figure out what's wrong.

Pink!

#42 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,511 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

I notice that when we edit our posts now, we open a sort of editing window within the thread instead of leaving the thread altogether. This is a nice surprise. Does this mean we will once again be able some day to see the most recent posts in a thread when we are creating a brand-new reply to it, and not just editing an existing reply?

#43 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

I notice that when we edit our posts now, we open a sort of editing window within the thread instead of leaving the thread altogether. This is a nice surprise. Does this mean we will once again be able some day to see the most recent posts in a thread when we are creating a brand-new reply to it, and not just editing an existing reply?

Peter - try Fast Reply at the bottom of the thread!

#44 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,511 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

Anna, thanks for the tip. I had never even thought about Fast Reply before, and I am now using it for the first time ever.

For most posts, this will suffice, but for some posts -- the ones where we "quote" other posts, and especially when we "multiquote" -- we still wouldn't be able to see the most recent posts while we are composing our replies, right? (With the "multiquote" feature, you might think we wouldn't need to see the recent posts AGAIN while we are writing our replies; however, under the old system, whenever we clicked Preview, it was possible to see any NEW posts that might have appeared in that thread since we started writing our replies.)

FWIW, I note also that Fast Reply doesn't seem to have a Preview feature.

#45 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

Peter: Yes, I believe you are correct about the preview options and seeing the most recent posts. I do not know of anything we can do to change it. Sorry about that!

How's the pink now for everyone?

#46 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,131 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

Things are looking good, Anna. Today, the site's running just fine for me. Thanks so much for all of your behind-the-scenes work.

Just a suggestion: Since you're putting so much into this, you should give it some kind of personal stamp. How about picking your favorite Journey song and having that come on as the A&F theme music?

#47 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Things are looking good, Anna. Today, the site's running just fine for me. Thanks so much for all of your behind-the-scenes work.

Just a suggestion: Since you're putting so much into this, you should give it some kind of personal stamp. How about picking your favorite Journey song and having that come on as the A&F theme music?

Nah, go for Boston's "Smokin." Great organ solo.

#48 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

Nah, go for Boston's "Smokin." Great organ solo.

YES.

#49 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

Forum is getting larger... Help I'm being swallowed whole... What do I do to make is smaller again...

#50 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,511 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

Huh. Not sure what to make of the serif fonts. I've been using them at my blog for years, but I've also pondered getting rid of them, and I have always enjoyed A&F as a respite from them. (I know, I know, I'm a weirdly conflicted kind of dude.)

#51 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,453 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Huh. Not sure what to make of the serif fonts. I've been using them at my blog for years, but I've also pondered getting rid of them, and I have always enjoyed A&F as a respite from them. (I know, I know, I'm a weirdly conflicted kind of dude.)

The serifs may get tiring. As Jason recently pointed out, Mrs. Eaves now has a san-serifed companion: Mr. Eeaves.

#52 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,511 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

Curiously, I just noticed that Variety has switched to a sans-serif font. (They WERE using a serif font before this, weren't they?)

#53 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

Anyone else care to weigh in on the serif vs. san-serif question?

#54 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

Back when I was a Journalism major, I was taught that serif fonts were more legible in longer passages, which is why every major newspaper, most magazines, and most books use them as body text (although that's changed somewhat in the 10 years since I was in college). But I've also read that the opposite is true with reading text on a computer -- something about the limitations on the minimum size of the serifs (since they must be >=1 pixel). So I think as long as you're using something with a large x-height, like Verdana or Georgia (which is what the body text is set to now), you should be fine.

Or Wingbats. Everyone loves Wingbats.

[Addendum: Actually, rather than a font change, I'd rather just see the body text set to #000000. This dark grey on light grey is the biggest readability problem A&F has.]

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 22 October 2009 - 11:38 PM.

#55 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,217 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:13 AM

I really like the use of Georgia on the forum, but I also think it would be better if it were set to black instead of grey. All the other grey text touches work well I think, but if the main text of the thread were set to black I think it would really help it pop out.

#56 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

So is the Sheriff why everything got big and swallowed me whole?

#57 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

Persona: Is that like a song lyric? Some old Beatles' tune?

So is the Sheriff why everything got big and swallowed me whole?

#58 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

We're going to continue to solicit your opinions over the weekend and will weigh the issues early next week.

We'll experiment a bit, based on the feedback, and try to choose the best options.

Keep your thoughts coming.

;) I took a quick look at a bunch of sites that I was sure used black for text, and found out that they don't.

So hey, more contrast (darker text; not necessarily black) is my amended plea. :)

#59 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,511 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:27 PM

FWIW, I had no idea the text wasn't black until people began saying it wasn't. Apparently it's dark enough at this end.

Or at least the main body text is. There are a few buttons'n'things where the text is awfully faint (like the buttons at the top and bottom of this thread which say "You cannot start a new topic").

FWIW, the serifs have begun to grow on me. But not in the sense that I've suddenly developed a lot of pointy growths on my joints and limbs or anything like that.

#60 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,131 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

Number me among the serif-im.

Hard to say why: I suppose that the serif font gives me a sense that contributions here have more "weight." Serif fonts slow me down ever so slightly, but enough that it makes a difference. I read a little more carefully. And that's a good thing.