Photo

The Brutal Season

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

It has begun. Several 50-year-old women in my workplace are carrying pom poms, and wearing earrings in the shape of a poisonous nut. Marching band music blares in the corporate elevators. "O-H," one of my co-workers chanted in the elevator. "I-O," another chanted in return, proving that cooperative spelling is one of the special little touches that make Columbus so charming at this time of year. Several of my neighbors now sport 8-foot inflatable Brutus Buckeyes in their yard.

Every year at this time several hundred thousand central Ohioans lose their minds. I've lived here most of my life, and I still can't get used to it. It is, and always will be, a bizarre phenomenon for me. Look, to the extent that I care, I want the Buckeyes to win their games, if for no other reason than it makes most of the people around me happier. But it also makes them crazier. I'm not sure if it's an even tradeoff.

Edited by Andy Whitman, 04 September 2009 - 07:55 AM.

#2 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

It looked like a guaranteed 'nother brutal one up here too. Until The Boys dispatched Western Michigan exactly like a Big Ten team should dispatch a good MAC team. First glimmer of hope in 18 months. Is our long local nightmare over? Death to Notre Dame might indicate exactly that....

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 06 September 2009 - 06:23 AM.

#3 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,728 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

I was wondering where we put the college football thread now. Andy, I don't have an inflatable Buckeye, but it warmed my heart to drive through the Ohio countryside on my way to Kelleys Island and to see all the Ohio State paraphenalia littering the landscape.

The second half against Navy did nothing but remind me of the Buckeye's piddly performance against the mighty Bobcats (O-H-I-O-UUUUUUUUUUUU) last year, en route to a Trojanation. I'm hoping against hope that Tressell was going to build on the Texas game and not that Heacock's defense is as porous as it looked.

And how about the W$%#rines!? May they beat the Fighting Irish. And then lose big in November.

I continue to warm to the local Bearcats--and hope they find themselves back in the hunt for a Orange Bowl bid.

I was saddened by the lone SEC loss. I hope (again, against hope itself) that it will be followed by many more.

Anyone else sick of Tebowmania?

#4 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Buckeye Jones @ Sep 8 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And how about the W$%#rines!? May they beat the Fighting Irish. And then lose big in November.

Heh, heh. Let's see what happens on Saturday. Forcier is a frosh for Pete's sake (something I said to myself many times last year about Pryor, considering he thought of us for a nanosecond). Then let's see what happens in Lansing and at Iowa, probably at night. Something Iowa has reserved for "big" opponents (of course, we may be small by then).

BTW, I'm happy using this as the college season thread. I suspect it will be brutal for many of us before this is over.
Anyone else sick of Tebowmania?

Not me and I'm definitely NOT a Florida fan. Sheesh, he's an MK! The first known member of The Brotherhood to make it big like this. I hope he makes us forget the Manning brothers. And it would be nice to have more than a mere Rube own two Heisman's too. Why not a Brother?

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 08 September 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#5 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,728 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

The Hype is on--unfortunately for me, its on ESPN, which I don't have. Now the question: $200 for tickets to the game, or $300 for four months of cable to have the college football season at my fingertips.

#6 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (Buckeye Jones @ Sep 10 2009, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Hype is on--unfortunately for me, its on ESPN, which I don't have. Now the question: $200 for tickets to the game, or $300 for four months of cable to have the college football season at my fingertips.

The game (I assume you mean OSU-USC) is on ABC Saturday night, is it not? Or are you referring to some other Hype? I don't have tickets, but I do have access to cable TV. If you're so inclined, drive up I-71 to Columbus. It would be good for you and good for me, and would give me a convenient excuse to explain to the three Whitman women why we will not be watching Celebrity Chef Cookoff or whatever it's called Saturday night.

#7 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,728 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Andy Whitman @ Sep 10 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Buckeye Jones @ Sep 10 2009, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The game (I assume you mean OSU-USC) is on ABC Saturday night, is it not? Or are you referring to some other Hype? I don't have tickets, but I do have access to cable TV. If you're so inclined, drive up I-71 to Columbus. It would be good for you and good for me, and would give me a convenient excuse to explain to the three Whitman women why we will not be watching Celebrity Chef Cookoff or whatever it's called Saturday night.

ESPN. ABC has rather unwisely decided to show NASCAR. I would love to head up I-71, but cannot this weekend. But for the Penn State game?

#8 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:32 AM

Even I think that programming to be sick! Is anyone here weary of accelarate-turn-left-repeat?

#9 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Whew. Not yet brutal. We allow just shy of 500 yards and still win. I still say wait 'til MSU and Iowa back to back away. Not just away, but the first away games of the season. Even worse, Michigan could let its guard down against Eastern Michigan this week.

#10 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,728 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

The most frustrating thing about the Buckeyes loss this weekend is not that its another loss to a top five team; its that the Buckeyes had SC beat, beat, beat with the exception of their woeful red zone offense. Pryor's quoted as saying that the Bucks should have won by two or three touchdowns, and he's right. But for some reason (incompetence, butterflies, SC's D-line) nothing ever gelled for Pryor and the offense. A more bitter loss for that.

#11 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (Buckeye Jones @ Sep 14 2009, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The most frustrating thing about the Buckeyes loss this weekend is not that its another loss to a top five team; its that the Buckeyes had SC beat, beat, beat with the exception of their woeful red zone offense. Pryor's quoted as saying that the Bucks should have won by two or three touchdowns, and he's right. But for some reason (incompetence, butterflies, SC's D-line) nothing ever gelled for Pryor and the offense. A more bitter loss for that.

Agreed. The Buckeyes should have won that game. And that's not blind fanboy spouting either. They outplayed USC for 53 minutes. But they didn't outplay them when it counted.

Pryor has all the athletic ability in the world, but he has yet to show me that he can make good decisions. Based on Saturday's performance, I'm less impressed than ever.

Edited by Andy Whitman, 14 September 2009 - 08:08 AM.