30 seconds ago:

Suzanne to 6-year-old Anna: "Anna, why are you naked?"

Anna: "'Cause I took off my clothes."

#2 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,635 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

If she'd asked you would you have given her a different answer?

Edited by Darrel Manson, 13 September 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#3 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

Oh, lessee: I felt like being naked. I didn't like the clothes I had on. So, waddaya think? "The woman though gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree and I did eat."

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 13 September 2009 - 09:54 PM.

#4 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,934 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

Well, this thread has taken an unexpected turn. eek.gif

I was going to answer Darrel's question with a simple "Probably smile.gif," followed by a redirect in the form of another cute kid quote.

Here is an old favorite, from the mouth of David when he was about four and just beginning to grasp rhetorical strategy. No one any longer remembers the exact original context, but obviously he was trying to resist an unappealing course of action. His rationale:

"A.), I don't want to, and B.), I won't."

Edited by SDG, 14 September 2009 - 08:26 AM.

#5 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,189 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

: His rationale: "A.), I don't want to, and B.), I won't."

...Such a Greydanus

Matt

#6 SDG

SDG

• 8,934 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (MattPage @ Sep 14 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Such a Greydanus

I hope that's an observation about systematic thinking and rhetorical style, not willful obstinacy. biggrin.gif

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,308 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

SDG wrote:
: I hope that's an observation about systematic thinking and rhetorical style, not willful obstinacy. biggrin.gif

One reinforces the other. smile.gif

I've been trying to think of something that I could add to this thread, but I haven't thought of anything yet. I'm not sure my daughter has said anything that would come across as all that funny without a certain amount of context, yet. (Neither of my boys talks yet, really.)

Though it IS funny to see how she argues with me sometimes over what words to use for things. Whenever we watch certain cartoons produced by Warner Brothers, and the opening logo with Bugs Bunny comes on, she'll say "It's a rabbit!" and I'll reply "Yes, it's Bugs Bunny" and she'll reply "It's not a BUNNY! It's a RABBIT!"

#8 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,716 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

Context is helpful at times. For example, we have a garden patch that is being raided by groundhogs. Dominic, 3, said earnestly the other night: "I'm going to jump out of bed, cartwheel down the stairs out the door, and tackle the groundhog."

#9 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

My wife had been talking to my boys about being Peace Makers. Their Bible Story the night before had been on that topic and Amy (my wife) was trying to reinforce it during the day. Well, they were in the van and Amy was talking to them about it when Ethan, my 4 year old, declared that he was a fighter. Amy said, "No. God wants us to be peace makers." Ethan responded, "I'm a peace fighter!" Amy tried again to explain the difference and correct him. Ethan thought about it for a second and then yelled out good naturedly, "You want a piece of me?" That's my son...

Edited by Phill Lytle, 14 September 2009 - 10:13 AM.

#10 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

Now THAT'S funny!!. Actually all of the above are pretty good, I just busted a gut on the last one. Sorry for the hijacking a few posts back.

#11 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

A friend of mine's daughter just turned two. He said "Yup, the terrible twos. Guess I'll be hearing a lot of the word no."

I nodded, because that's what he'll hear if he's lucky. Clarity bypassed that word in favor of:

"Yes, but..."

"Well, I thought I'd help by..."

"Ok, I was just going to..."

"Uh huh, ok...after I finish doing this I'll..."

"I just figured you might want..."

Last night, at prayers, she came in and asked to pray a special prayer to God:

"Dear God, and Jesus, um...please let Marilyn be okay tomorrow, and let her sister know that I didn't take her dollar. I'm telling the truth that I didn't take it, because if I did, that would be lying, and I'm not lying, because if I did, I know that would make you very sad, and I don't think you could handle it."

#12 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Jason Bortz @ Sep 16 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Dear God, and Jesus, um...please let Marilyn be okay tomorrow, and let her sister know that I didn't take her dollar. I'm telling the truth that I didn't take it, because if I did, that would be lying, and I'm not lying, because if I did, I know that would make you very sad, and I don't think you could handle it."

laugh.gif

#13 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,425 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

I found my daughter stacking all of her puzzles on the stairs. Her explanation: "I am organizing my puzzles so that I can celebrate them."

While in time out, she told us that her imaginary friend "Anna" died the other day. Why?: "Because her mom put her in time out too much."

#14 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Buckeye Jones @ Sep 14 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Context is helpful at times. For example, we have a garden patch that is being raided by groundhogs. Dominic, 3, said earnestly the other night: "I'm going to jump out of bed, cartwheel down the stairs out the door, and tackle the groundhog."

How many times has this kid seen the Matrix? smile.gif

#15 SDG

SDG

• 8,934 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

8-year-old James, on Suzanne's late brother David, who (some of you will remember) died very suddenly a couple of years ago from a virulent leukemia:

"Uncle Dave was a LAWYER???

I thought he killed bad guys."

#16 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,049 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

This is becoming a candidate for Best Thread Ever.

(I think the last time I said that, it was a thread involving M. Dale Prins, but I can't remember now what it was about. Stef? Leary? Anybody remember?)

#17 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (MLeary @ Sep 17 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While in time out, she told us that her imaginary friend "Anna" died the other day. Why?: "Because her mom put her in time out too much."

You know, there is really some truth to this. I was never put in timeout (didn't exist back them) and I'm still alive in my late 50's.

#18 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Overstreet @ Sep 18 2009, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is becoming a candidate for Best Thread Ever.

(I think the last time I said that, it was a thread involving M. Dale Prins, but I can't remember now what it was about. Stef? Leary? Anybody remember?)

This one.

Of all the threads I've participated in in A&F et al., clearly the greatest was the one (and only? I don't recall) appearance of the beloved 5DG. But I think it was before this current iteration, so I'm not sure it survived. Ten minutes of searching hasn't been fruitful.

(I have, however, found some of the lost posts by our good friend donald napoleon sprim...)

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 18 September 2009 - 10:40 PM.

#19 SDG

SDG

• 8,934 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (M. Dale Prins @ Sep 18 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of all the threads I've participated in in A&F et al., clearly the greatest was the one (and only? I don't recall) appearance of the beloved 5DG.

Oh yes. I still sometimes just crack up at random moments, thinking back to that thread.

#20 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

My wife Amy was praising the boys for being so well behaved one day:

Amy: “You guys are being so cooperative and nice to each other. Why can’t you do this every day?”

Aidan, my six year old, replied: "We all sin, Mom; we can’t do this every day.”