232 replies to this topic

#161 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Well done, sir.

Simon to Renae, who had just got a haircut: "Your head looks nice, Mommy. Not as bad as yesterday."

#162 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Simon, after holding Clara for 45 minutes one afternoon: “Mommy, can you take her now? The ankle of my arm hurts, and I’m hot because she’s such a snugglebug.”

And I have sneaking suspicion that, given how much he tries to make deals and find loopholes in situations, Simon will either be a politician or a salesman. For example, he had to get shots a few weeks back, and he tried talking his way out of them by saying "Let's make a different plan. I don't need those shots because I don't get that kind of sick. I only get the phlegm."

He's also developing a bit of a sense of humor. Renae made a comment that Clara needed a bath because she was getting crusty. His response: "She’s crustier than a pizza!"

Edited by opus, 23 February 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#163 wmadjones

wmadjones

• 44 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Addison (age 3 tomorrow) on a walk this morning:

"I like lady bugs, but I don't like real bugs"
"Mommy says I can do (insert a long list of things she wants to do) when I'm a big girl. I'll be a big girl when I'm 6"
"I have rocks in my nose" (they were boogers)

#164 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

We have finally figured out with the help of a good pathologist that our little two year old guy has an oral motor problem that has affected his speech and ability to eat. Basically, he is not able to use his tongue yet for some reason - but we are going to be able to help him gain that physical control relatively quickly.

The problem is he is an extremely expressive and communicative person, which has made his inability to form words well very frustrating for him. As a result, he has discovered a mechanism for communication that serves as a workaround.

He uses facial expression and body language to tell us how he is feeling and what he is thinking.

Instead of speaking, he has learned to contort his face into many different expressions that make you understand exactly what he is trying to tell you. Nothing is better than his wow face. He has different sets of exaggerated body language that mimic his current emotional state. For example, when I ask him to do a small chore that he doesn't like, he drops his head and shoulders like Charlie Brown and begins lumbering around like an old man. When frightened by something, his entire body shuffles into a request for a hug while he pointedly turns his back to the direction of his anxiety. When trying to make you laugh, he rolls into a slapstick routine with whatever is on hand. He has a little repertoire of these stock movements.

So we essentially have a little Charlie Chaplin in our house. I can't wait for him to beging talking with us, but I will always treasure this comedy he has brought into our lives.

Edited by M. Leary, 08 March 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#165 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,684 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Dominic (6) and Eric (4) recently received two beta fish. Dom's is named "Mars", and, as you might suspect, is a crimson red. Eric's, tellingly, is named "Blue Mars". The other day, Mars died while Dom was at school.

In kindergarten, Dom journals--it's a delight to see his little one or two sentence stories, accompanied by six year old artistry. On his return home from school the day Mars died, he'd brought one of his journals home. Before my wife could break the news about Mars, Dom began to read the journal to Eric and his mom. He reached a page with the following story, accompanied by a little sketch of a blue blob and a red blob.

"I hav a red Betta fish. His name is Marz. Eric has a blu Betta fish. It is named Blu Marz."

Eric interrupted matter of factly, as if he was commenting on the day's local news. "Oh, your fish? It died."

#166 Russ

Russ

• 1,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Double-header:

1. The next-to-last chapter/story in A Visit from the Goon Squad is a PowerPoint presentation on pauses in rock songs prepared by a twelve year-old girl. The intricate structure struck me as a bit too precocious, and the whole exercise seemed a bit tedious. This, I suppose, was meant to give me a foretaste of what awaited Ali and I a few weeks later from our twelve year-old:

http://prezi.com/ykl...t-a-cell-phone/

2. We just returned from vacation on Wednesday, and my 8 year-old daughter Virginia came with me to retrieve my car from the office. I went inside the building to see the volume of mail I'd received over the past week, and when it was time to leave, she exited with me, then doubled back to my office for reasons unclear to me. When I got into the office yesterday morning, I had a yellow post-it note on the edge of my desk-- usually a sign to see somebody or call somebody. It read: "I love you and can't wait to see you--Virginia." At 7:45 a.m., I was tearing up.

#167 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Double-header:

1. The next-to-last chapter/story in A Visit from the Goon Squad is a PowerPoint presentation on pauses in rock songs prepared by a twelve year-old girl. The intricate structure struck me as a bit too precocious, and the whole exercise seemed a bit tedious. This, I suppose, was meant to give me a foretaste of what awaited Ali and I a few weeks later from our twelve year-old:

http://prezi.com/ykl...t-a-cell-phone/

I am convinced that purchasing the phone for her would be a good idea. (I loved the downsell at the end where she identifies more expensive phones she does not want. Brilliant move.)

#168 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Russ, you gotta buy her a phone, if for no other reason than because, at the age of 12, she's already mastered the use of the apostrophe. Virginia's note almost made me tear up, and I've never even met her.

#169 Russ

Russ

• 1,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

My objections at this point are non-economic-- they're just timing and propriety. She and a neighbor have a dog-watching/walking business that generates enough money for her to buy the thing herself. She just needs Ali and I to stop telling her to wait.

And I said the same thing to Ali, Darren-- I saw a typo and a misspelling in there, but getting the apostrophe right compensated in full.

Edited by Russ, 09 March 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#170 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

On April 17, 2012, Simon told me, and I quote, "I can do what I want." I feel like we've passed a parenting milestone.

#171 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,859 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

I caught a preview of Chimpanzee with my daughter the other day, and, during the end credits, the film gives you a bit of a glimpse of the scientists and filmmakers at work actually making the film.

My daughter suddenly had a surprised look on her face, and she said, "Are those real cameras? Is this REAL?" Yes, I said. "Can we go home and tell Mommy that they made this with real cameras?" Yes, I said. And so we did.

I just get a kick out of the fact that she thought the chimps and monkeys and whatnot might NOT have been real. (What, did she think it was all CGI?)

#172 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Simon has a dance class every Thursday, and though he loves it -- it's taught by a very close friend of ours who is one of his honorary aunts -- it's always a struggle to get him to go.

This last week, after a particularly nasty meltdown, Simon offered an explanation for his actions once he (finally) got to class…

"Well, sometimes my big brain just gets it wrong. And then when I get there, my brain turns into the right thing."

#173 M. John Mattson

M. John Mattson

• 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

About an hour ago -- Toby (8) "There's cradles on the Moon" -- instantly 'corrected' by Kian (7) -- "No, they're critters!"

#174 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,859 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

My daughter, 6, upon coming home from school a few days ago and seeing that I had vacuumed the place: "It's so clean! Oo la la!" (And oh, how I wish there was a way to type the particular inflection with which she said "Oo la la!".)

My daughter, when I asked her about a week ago if she would be interested in a summer day camp where the kids do arts and crafts: "Arts and crafts are the SAME THING! Art is when you make something, and crafts are when you make something!" She did seem a little put out by the fact that I was using seemingly redundant terminology.

#175 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Simon recently got a baseball bat from his grandparents, so I've been teaching him how to hit a ball -- and more importantly at this stage, how to make sure that he's not swinging the bat when others, i.e., his younger brother, are nearby. We were recently practicing, and I reminded him yet again to make sure that his brother wasn't nearby because otherwise, he could hit him in the head and really hurt him.

To which Ian, who was outside (but not near Simon, for what it's worth), responded, as sweetly and guilelessly as you could imagine, "And then I would die."

Cue exchange of horrified looks between my wife and I while Ian just sat there, sweet as could be...

#176 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,859 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

The other day my wife took our 6-year-old son on a shopping trip to buy a present for my sister's baby shower. My sister isn't due for another couple months, so my wife told our son that we didn't know what the baby wanted because he was still inside his mommy -- to which our son responded, "He wants OUT!"

#177 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Ian talking to his baby sister: "I'm your baby sister! I love you, son!"

And then there's this exchange between Renae and Simon:

Renae: Simon, I love how your brain works.
Simon: Yep, my brain works pretty well!
Renae: It sure does.
Simon: My brain also helps me go really fast.

As a former editor, Renae was quite pleased that he used "well" instead of "good".

#178 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,476 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Audrey, pointing at my MacBook Pro: "Your computer has an apple on it. It's an apple."

#179 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,476 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Audrey trying watermelon for the first time: "It's tastes like a balloon."

#180 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

A few nights ago, while putting Ian to sleep:

Ian: "What's that for?" (Pointing to my wedding ring.)
Me: "That's my wedding ring. I wear it to remind me how much I love Mommy and to show others that I love Mommy."
Ian: "Oh…"
Me: "Someday, when you marry a pretty lady, you'll wear a wedding ring, too."
Ian: "Yeah, when I marry Mommy."
Me: "You can't marry Mommy because I'm already married to her. You'll need to marry another pretty lady."
Ian: "Like Rowan's mommy." (Rowan is one of his buddies at church.)