Too good to be true

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,016 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

So this weekend we had some of my relatives over for Sunday dinner: my uncle, aunt and a pair of cousins. My cousins are both younger, and one of them was recalling my contribution to a game they used to play as children, based on quoting lines from The Princess Bride.

"When we told you about the game," she told me, "you came up with a new strategy that made it much harder."

I had no memory of this, so she went on: "The game was that one of us would quote a line from The Princess Bride, and the other players had to think of the next line in the movie. You changed the whole game by telling us that the best way to stump other players was to try to think of the last line in a scene. Instead of using lines that set up other lines, you forced us to think about what scene came after another and how the next scene began."

And then, only fully realizing in mid-sentence just how delicious a moment it was, I interjected, with a touch of Andre the Giant inflection, "My way's not very sportsmanlike."

Edited by SDG, 30 August 2010 - 02:06 PM.

#22 Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer

• 288 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:56 AM

So this weekend we had some of my relatives over for Sunday dinner: my uncle, aunt and a pair of cousins. My cousins are both younger, and one of them was recalling my contribution to a game they used to play as children, based on quoting lines from The Princess Bride.

"When we told you about the game," she told me, "you came up with a new strategy that made it much harder."

I had no memory of this, so she went on: "The game was that one of us would quote a line from The Princess Bride, and the other players had to think of the next line in the movie. You changed the whole game by telling us that the best way to stump other players was to try to think of the last line in a scene. Instead of using lines that set up other lines, you forced us to think about what scene came after another and how the next scene began."

And then, only fully realizing in mid-sentence just how delicious a moment it was, I interjected, with a touch of Andre the Giant inflection, "My way's not very sportsmanlike."

Brilliant!