Photo

The Prosperity Gospel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NClarke

NClarke

• 156 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

So the second video in the Global Conversation series is on the Prosperity Gospel. We are going to be releasing the full documentary short within a week or so, but I thought I would post this clip. This doc, while not technically my best work, is some of my favorite stuff I've worked on.

#2 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,732 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Great clip, Nathan. This brings back a lot of memories for me. Even in the US, in black pentecostal traditions, this is known as "raising an offering". I've endured a few hundred of these, over the past 20 years. One of the most memorable was in Liberty City at a Pastor's Appreciation service about 15 years ago, where the overworked, A/C wall unit was cut off as well as the ceiling fans, in room that was SRO... until the Lord's money was raised. It was something like $100 to turn each fan back on, $500 to put the A/C back on, etc... God's people endured that sh*t with laughs and shouts of hallelujah. Many appeared to me at the point of heat stroke. I could never understand it.

Edited by Greg P, 21 October 2009 - 04:37 PM.

#3 NClarke

NClarke

• 156 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Greg - that is a pretty amazing story, and a bold move.

I chose the most insidious clip for this preview - in fact the rest of the piece is much more nuanced and subtle (or at least in my opinion it is.)

#4 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,732 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

The most angering thing about this theology is that it preys almost exclusively on the poorest of the poor. I look forward to seeing the full version!

#5 NClarke

NClarke

• 156 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

The full piece (about 9 minutes long) is now live -