Photo

Glen 2010!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 232 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

I was browsing through my newest issue of Image (Fall 2009, Issue 63) and discovered an ad for our favorite workshop.

Here are the faculty so we can all start saving our pennies:

Poetry:

B.H. Fairchild
Marilyn Nelson

Spiritual Writing:
Lauren Winner

Fiction:
Melissa Pritchard

Playwriting:
Bradford Winters

Life Drawing:
Barry Moser

Portrait Painting:
Joel Sheesley

Collage:
Mary McCleary

Film Seminar:
Jeffrey Overstreet

Songwriting:
Over the Rhine

With "additional seminar faculty to be named soon"

Would the esteemed Mr. Overstreet care to tell us more about his seminar. :)

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,068 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

Whoa. So... I guess the truth is out there.

The summary will be posted soon. I've been biting my tongue, and will continue to do so as the Image staff prepares the materials.

I certainly do hope to see some of you there!

#3 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

Yes, but who is the faculty for handbells? Kevin McChesney? Cathy Moklebust? The late Betty Garee?

(Also, y'know, location, date, cost? I imagine at least some of that info is out there.)

Dale

#4 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Scooped! And on our own forum, too! ;)

The date is August 1-7, 2010. Information including registration prices and course descriptions will be up at http://glenworkshop.org very soon.

#5 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

Here's the official announcement!

#6 Stephen Lamb

Stephen Lamb

• 312 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

I just signed up for the "Spiritual Writing" workshop and am really looking forward to it, after missing out last year because the course was full before I could sign up. Who else is going from artsandfaith?

Edited by Stephen Lamb, 04 January 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#7 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Looking forward to seeing you there. We've also got a Facebook fan page for the Glen if you'd like to join that!

http://www.facebook....00611391?ref=ts

I just signed up for the "Spiritual Writing" workshop and am really looking forward to it, after missing out last year because the course was full before I could sign up. Who else is going from artsandfaith?

#8 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

Registration for the 2010 Glen Workshop -- August 1-7 -- is now officially open to the public:

Intro to the Glen Workshop

http://imagejournal....e-glen-workshop

The 2010 Glen Workshop

http://imagejournal....-workshop-2010/

It's hard to believe but 84 people have already registered -- so please consider registering soon to ensure that you get a place in your workshop of choice.

Let us know if you have any questions.

#9 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,068 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

I'm told that my seminar on contemplative cinema is half full (we're hoping to have around 20). That's fantastic, considering that the promotional brochures for the Glen Workshop haven't even been mailed out yet. So, wow... we're moving right along.

I want to invite A&F folks very specifically. I don't intend to spend the week lecturing. I intend to introduce people to rich, complex, challenging movies, and then do what I can - set up the kindling, so to speak - so that we can stir up some exciting conversations afterward. The goal of the seminar is to encourage people to explore movies off the typical track of narrative filmmaking, to the kinds of personal and provocative art coming from "the margins." We'll think through films that "mean" in different ways, and then to explore new territory in post-viewing conversations and interpretations of films. I can't think of any voices here that would not contribute in a significant way to that experience.

And while I cannot be specific, I can say that there are plans to give those conversations a life beyond the classroom. So I'd be thrilled to have a good representation from A&F at the table.

#10 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 232 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:26 AM

Er...this is where I tell Overstreet that I signed up for his seminar. We can thumb wrestle about "Up in the Air" and "Slumdog Millionaire".

j/k about the thumb wrestling.

Stephen: Totally awesome you got into the "Spiritual Writing" class. Lauren is an awesome teacher!

Edited by LibrarianDeb, 08 January 2010 - 12:27 AM.

#11 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,716 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

So I've got a question. For a few years now, i've had a lingering desire to try my hand at really writing something. I've got no illusions about my talent (have no idea if I can really write something longer than an essay, or sustain a story for a full length feature) or my discipline (assuming I had some talent, could I carve out time to compose anything). But there's this little, well, my wife calls it langurino which means something like "a particular hunger for a tasty treat", not quite a craving, but not something insatiable; anyway, there's a compelling desiring to work at putting a story on page, and seeing it to fruition.

I don't really like sharing this, because it sounds like such a pretentious pipe dream. But well, anyway...I've cooked up a little story that I think has some good potential to be a really interesting screenplay, and I read that the Glen is having a screenwriting/playwriting workshop. Which brings me to my question: Is this something, the workshop, the whole week, a place wherein I could get some more insight in figuring out if I've got anything to work with? That is, I read that the workshop is open for beginners, and I want to know, is it really? If I expect to get some honest, contemplative critique in an environment that is both Christ-centered and challenging, is that a realistic expectation?

#12 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Is this something, the workshop, the whole week, a place wherein I could get some more insight in figuring out if I've got anything to work with? That is, I read that the workshop is open for beginners, and I want to know, is it really? If I expect to get some honest, contemplative critique in an environment that is both Christ-centered and challenging, is that a realistic expectation?

Buckeye,

In a nutshell: Absolutely. Every year we have a great number of beginning as well as advanced writers/artists, and the Glen faculty is well-versed in guiding students with a mixture of experiences through workshops. We always ask our participants post-Glen to evaluate their experience, and the prevailing attitude year after year is that the Glen is a place of encouragement and compassion but also honest criticism, intellectual and spiritual stimulation, and creative challenges.

You might think I have to say this because I'm staff. ;) Well, don't just take my word for it - some of the posters here are Glen regulars. Also, a few quotes from participants can be found here. We'd love to have you!

ETA: I can see it now: mini A&F-con at the Glen!

#13 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 232 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

...That is, I read that the workshop is open for beginners, and I want to know, is it really? If I expect to get some honest, contemplative critique in an environment that is both Christ-centered and challenging, is that a realistic expectation?

Indeed, I'm definitely a beginning writer and I found my workshop with Lauren to be very useful. If it helps at all, nearly everyone in my workshop (including published writers!) was nervous to have their piece workshopped.

#14 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,716 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the input, folks! I've signed up and am looking forward to meeting some A&Fers. Now I guess I have a deadline--always helpful for me!

#15 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

Wonderful! If you haven't yet, check out the Good Letters posts of Bradford Winters, who will be teaching the Playwriting class.

#16 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,068 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing you there, Buckeye. This could be the biggest gathering of A&Fers yet.

#17 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,716 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Thanks! I'll have to bring along my Overstreet books for some autographing! ;)

#18 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:47 PM

I've decided to join the fun and have signed up for the Glen Workshop. I think the theme of "Creativity at the Margins" will be a very interesting one. I've signed up for Jeffrey's film seminar, so I'm looking forward to some fine films and fine conversation.

And I am looking forward to seeing Santa Fe again, since I have had the pleasue of visiting the city a few times (though I haven't yet made it to St. John's College). I will have to sample some fine green chile and some Santa Fe Pale Ale while I'm there, and maybe sneak off downtown to the Upper Crust Pizza Company.

Edited by Crow, 01 February 2010 - 11:48 PM.

#19 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

I've decided to join the fun and have signed up for the Glen Workshop. I think the theme of "Creativity at the Margins" will be a very interesting one. I've signed up for Jeffrey's film seminar, so I'm looking forward to some fine films and fine conversation.

And I am looking forward to seeing Santa Fe again, since I have had the pleasue of visiting the city a few times (though I haven't yet made it to St. John's College). I will have to sample some fine green chile and some Santa Fe Pale Ale while I'm there, and maybe sneak off downtown to the Upper Crust Pizza Company.

Huzzah! I'm thrilled to see more people from A&F signing up.

#20 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,068 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

Woo hoo!

How may seats are left at that table, Anna?