Photo

in search of noah's ark (1976)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,992 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:15 PM

I thought about posting this under "Humour", and then I thought about posting this under "Theology", but then it occured to me that this news brings back lotsa childhood memories of watching and re-watching In Search of Noah's Ark, a 1976 documentary which was one of the very first things my parents videotaped after buying our first VCR in '78 or '79, and which included, among other things, Computerized Satellite Images which appeared to indicate that there was something on Mt. Ararat -- something in one of those alleged Ark resting spots that had a certain unique signature that nothing else in the area of that mountain had.

Did anybody else see that? I wonder how it would look to me if I watched it again now.

Oh weird. I just discovered that the guy who directed that film, James L. Conway, has also directed tons and tons of TV episodes for the various Star Trek shows -- including the two-part pilot episode of Enterprise. And one of the writers went on to direct Silent Night, Deadly Night. Bizarre.

- - -

Expedition Will Seek to Find Noah's Ark
A joint U.S.-Turkish team of 10 explorers plans to make the arduous trek up Turkey's tallest mountain, at 17,820 feet, from July 15 to August 15, subject to the approval of the Turkish government, said Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock - The Trinity Corporation of Honolulu, Hawaii.
Associated Press, April 26

Entrepreneur to fund Ark search
Last summer's heat wave in Europe -- thought to be the most extreme in 500 years -- caused a record "melt back" of ice covering the object. Mr. McGivern asked Digital Globe, a Longmont, Colo., company that specializes in satellite imaging, to photograph the area in August and September. The result, he said, are photos that show a definite dark patch in the middle of a glacier on the edge of the 800-foot-deep Ahora Gorge. A close-up of the patch shows what looks like three beams and a cross beam.
Washington Times, April 26

#2 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:04 AM

Was that the film made by the team behind "The search for the Historical Jesus"? I seem to remember Campbell and Pitts saying something like that. Not seen it, but if it was the one I'm thinking of it about the only film / set of films that Campell & Pitts discuss tthe marketing of. Apparantly they block booked cinemas and ran a publicity machine to make it look like they were reallypopular and as a result the film became really popular. Sound familiar?

Matt

#3 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,205 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 06:12 AM

Yes, this was from the same group that made 'Beyond and Back,' a look at near-death experiences. I found these 2 films quite intriguing when I was about 8-10 years old - I also wonder how I'd feel about them now.

#4 Christian

Christian

• 10,958 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (Peter T Chattaway @ Apr 29 2004, 11:14 PM)
I thought about posting this under "Humour"

I'm just curious as to why you think this is funny, Peter.

#5 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,992 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, it appears this film was made by the same people who made those other films. To quote page 203 of Kinnard & Davis's book on Jesus films:

The film's premise was loosely constructed around the mystery of the Shroud of Turin . . . At this time Sunn Classics was successfully producing cheap pseudo-documentaries such as this on a variety of subjects. The company then employed an exhibition technique known as "four walling" -- renting a number of theaters outright on a regional basis for the picture's brief local run (with all ticket sales going to the distributor), and heavily promoting the film with a saturation media campaign often misrepresenting the product and invariably leaving moviegoers dissatisfied after they had paid to see the picture. In Search of Historic Jesus was no better or worse than the general run of the lot.

Christian wrote:
: I'm just curious as to why you think this is funny, Peter.

Well, to most non-literalist ears, looking for Noah's Ark would make about as much sense as looking for that hole in the ground through which the Russian scientists allegedly heard the sounds of Hell.

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,992 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:09 AM

Weblog: National Geographic Suggests Noah's Ark Expedition Was Just a Stunt
Daniel McGivern's $900,000 effort to investigate a Mount Ararat structure he's "90 percent sure" is Noah's Ark never happened, National Geographic News reports. But the news service says McGivern may have known that the Turkish government wouldn't allow them to climb the mountain due to security restrictions.
ChristianityToday.com, September 22

#7 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:50 PM

I saw that show recently, within the last two years--and it was as fascinating as it was when I saw it the first time a couple'a decades ago. Regardless of the plausibility of the find, they made a spellbinding case for the possibility of it being there--or having been there, at any rate. smile.gif

--------------

Edited by Jason Bortz, 28 September 2004 - 02:50 PM.

#8 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,992 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

Link to thread on 'Noah's Ark -- the cartoon!'

We don't have any other threads on this subject, so this seemed like the best place to put this:

- - -

Texans Part Of Possible Noah's Ark Discovery
11 has news of what could turn out to be one of the biggest discoveries in the history of both archaeology, and Christianity. A group of men, including several north Texans, believes it has found the remains of Noah's Ark, but it's not where most think. The group made the discovery in Iran. That may come as a surprise, because Christians have always believed Noah's Ark was in Mount Ararat, in eastern Turkey.
CBS 11 News, June 26

#9 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:38 AM

Haven't they found it, or imprints on the top of the mountains which they think was formed by it, about a hundred times already?

Matt

#10 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,992 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

Maybe one of them is the pirate ship that Lot commanded ... whoops, I'm letting that Hallmark TV-movie go to my head ... smile.gif

#11 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:58 AM

lol

If we hear that they've also found the rudimentary workings of a pedalow we'll know you're right.

Matt

#12 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,750 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

Responding to the posts from two years ago... I remember this film along with the 60 min documentary that came out around the same time featuring the search for Bigfoot, the Yeti and the Loch Ness monster. Both films should be mandatory viewing for children as far as I'm concerned, as they fuel that delightful sense of wonder with the universe, much the same way comic books do.

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Jun 28 2006, 04:38 PM) View Post
OK. So the story appears to have made headlines over at the last bastion of journalistic credibilty, WorldNetDaily, but seriously... why hasnt this received more coverage? Regardless of what you believe about the biblical account or whether the 400 foot petrified object is actually a "boat", isnt this an important archeological find?

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,992 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

It's amazing how many films from my youth have ended up on YouTube in their entirety... I wouldn't be surprised if the picture quality on this YouTube clip was better than the picture quality on my parents' 30-plus-year-old VHS tape...