Netflix and Other DVD-by-Mail Vendors

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#21 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,451 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:35 PM

This could be a huge coup for Netflix, and a blow to Blockbuster's fledgeling home service...

QUOTE (IMDb)
Netflix And TiVo in Partnership

Subscribers to the Netflix DVD rental service will soon be able to download movies onto TiVo personal digital recorders instead of receiving them by mail, Newsweek reports in its current issue. Details of how the service will function were sketchy. Newsweek suggested that it will likely employ software developed by a recently acquired company, Strangeberry, that allows a DSL or cable modem to be plugged into a TiVo recorder to receive content from the Internet. Reporting on the development, Newsweek commented that it "could shake up the media world." Both Netflix and TiVo declined to comment on the report.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 07 September 2004 - 02:37 PM.

#22 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,451 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:46 PM

Some extra news on the Netflix/TiVo match-up from Reuters, including a rise in stock for both companies.

#23 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,813 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:31 AM

We just received an offer to share Netflix with friends for a free one month trial, instead of the usual two weeks.

If anyone's interested, please send me a PM or e-mail, and I'll forward the offer to you. It's good through Sept. 20--which means, I believe, you must sign up by 9/20 for the trial period.

#24 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,451 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:03 PM

And now this update...

QUOTE (IMDb)
No Video-on-Demand Service from Netflix And TiVo For Now

Spokespersons for Netflix and TiVo dismissed a Newsweek report Tuesday that the two companies were planning a joint venture that would essentially allow Netflix subscribers to download movies onto their TiVo recorders rather than receive them through the mail. Bloomberg News quoted a TiVo spokeswoman as saying that such a service would not be offered for at least a year. Nevertheless shares in both companies soared on the magazine's report, Netflix rising 7.3 percent to $15.41; TiVo, nearly 15 percent to $5.08.

#25 J.R.

J.R.

• 232 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:30 PM

I'm a week into my free blockbuster trial, and I'm about ready to quit. I tried to rent Clerks (which I've already seen), and I was mistakenly sent the animated series, rather than the film. I reported the problem and requested a replacement. I received the replacement today, only to open the envelope and find they made the same mistake again!

This weeks new releases are still listed as "coming soon." Netflix always shipped new releases the day before they came out. Service has been slower than Netflix, as they only have one distribution center. The lower price and in-store rentals may be tempting, but you're better off with Neflix. I will gladly pay the few extra dollars a month for Netflix's service.

#26 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,847 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:05 AM

Just for all you Canadian people on the board, I just signed up for Zip.ca's free trial last night. I'll update you all once it's been going a few days.

#27 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,451 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:51 AM

The Tivo/Netflix partnership is again in the news...

QUOTE (Hollywood Reporter)
Oct. 01, 2004

TiVo, Netflix in deal to develop digital delivery

In confirming a long-circulating rumor, TiVo and Netflix said Thursday that they will develop technologies for the digital delivery of movies for viewing on consumers' television sets and will jointly work on securing content deals with studios. The movies-on-demand initiative has no name or price yet -- executives won't even say whether it will operate via a subscription model or a la carte service -- though it will be available next year. In a pre-emptive move to squelch concerns of conflicts of interest, TiVo CEO Mike Ramsay has resigned from the Netflix board of directors, a position he has held for several years. In fact, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said, it was the resignation that prompted the firms to announce their partnership several months before a product will be ready. "If we don't put it in context, people might come to the wrong conclusion," Hastings said. Hastings said the companies had discussed a partnership for three years but began a joint-development project a year ago. (Paul Bond)

#28 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,451 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:08 PM

Netflix hammered; stock falls 41% on subscription rate cut. Basic 3 film subscription is being cut back from $21.99 a month to $17.99 on the news that Amazon.com may enter the DVD by mail business.

Story here.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 16 October 2004 - 12:10 PM.

#29 J.R.

J.R.

• 232 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:57 AM

I haven't seen anything about the price change on the Netflix homepage. Is this official?

#30 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:07 PM

There is word that Amazon.com is getting into the DVD rental business. Netflix is suddenly feeling beleaguered. And vulnerable.

#31 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:44 PM

Oops. Thanks Alan. So much for speed-scanning.

Also just noticed your comment about CT's rentals.
QUOTE (Alan Thomas @ Sep 7 2004, 07:26 PM)
And I just noticed that *gulp* Christianity Today is also in this business?

The backend is by an outfit called Mentura, which is private labelling its services for many different outlets (christian and non-Christian): CBD, Family Christian, CT, homeschool.com, and others. They are aggressively licensing new titles (we're dealing with them on some titles).

#32 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:21 PM

No Peter & Paul from us -- we don't own that one. I think that production is actually owned by Procter and Gamble, but I could be mistaken.

Mentura doesn't like to buy DVDs to rent -- they like to license them. That will likely limit what they can get from certain studios, though a surprising number have jumped on board.

#33 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:30 AM

Yes, in some cases (a strong preference for them) they are burned DVDs. (And, yes, we have retail copies of P&P on hand, but we don't license it.)

#34 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,451 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Sep 3 2004, 07:22 AM)
NetFlix has lists? Or just their lame 'recommendations' ? I'd love it if either had lists like GreenCine does (or Amazon, for that matter). Speaking of Amazon, I'm surprised they haven't thrown their hat into this ring.

View Post

Amazon is joining the mail rental service, starting in the UK. Story here.

#35 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,484 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:33 AM

I'll stick with Netflix. With Blockbuster looking at buying Hollywood Video, I'm glad to give my money to the competition.

Link (free registration is required for those in the video industry)

NOV. 11 | In the face of sharp declines in its core over-the-counter rental business, Blockbuster Video has taken steps toward the possible $1 billion purchase of No. 2 video rentailer Hollywood Video, which would give Blockbuster control of well over 50% of the $8 billion-plus video rental market.

If a deal were to happen, it would create a giant chain of nearly 7,000 stores in the U.S. Blockbuster represents 40% to 45% of the video rental market, with Hollywood a distant second at 8% to 10%.

"I'm not sure what they'd be buying," McAlpine Associates principal Dennis McAlpine said. "The video rental business is pretty much a store-by-store business. Whether you have 5,000 stores or 6,000 stores, you don't get a lot of economies of scale in terms of operations."

McAlpine also noted that about 25% of Hollywood's 1,900 stores are located adjacent to Blockbuster locations, which could complicate any integration plans.

"I don't know what you would do with those stores," he said. "I think we can assume their landlords aren't going to let them out of those leases. So, do you convert them to Blockbuster locations and then have a Blockbuster next to another Blockbuster? Or do you continue to operate under two brand names?"

Operating under two distinct brand names, however, could allow Blockbuster to expand the number of titles it offers by shifting Hollywood's inventory mix away from its current emphasis on new releases, particularly in those stores located next to Blockbuster outlets.

An expanded retail inventory also would benefit Blockbuster's recently launched online subscription service once it's fully integrated with the store-based inventory.

In a third-quarter earnings conference call, Antioco noted that about 40% of online orders are for titles not typically stocked in Blockbuster or Hollywood stores.

The Hollywood stores also would give Blockbuster another 1,900 distribution points for its online service.

#36 BethR

BethR

• 2,813 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Dec 29 2004, 10:27 PM)
With regard to the above article about Netflix Friends, this would be a great effort for A&F users to consider. If anyone out there is in the beta program and willing to share, let me know!

View Post

I'm not yet, but it's an option I can easily take up. Give me a day or so.

#37 BethR

BethR

• 2,813 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:23 AM

Neat site. It also explains Netflix's new "Profiles" feature, which allows one account to allocate however many DVDs (3-8, depending on your account) to different users in your household.

You can also limit certain users to disks with certain ratings, and it allows you and your spouse to manage your ratings more efficiently, ideally cutting down on those weird recommendations one sometimes gets. You know what I'm talking about.

#38 theoddone33

theoddone33

• 763 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:05 AM

I'm sorry that this is terribly offtopic, but Netflix has Failan, which I rewatched tonight. It should be in your various queues, if you haven't seen it.

#39 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:22 PM

Whoa! The "Spiritual Cinema Circle" -- endorsed by Deepak Chopra and Kenny Loggins??

"Film Movement," on the other hand, sounds very promising. I made it out for a few of the Shooting Gallery films distributed theatrically in the 1990s, and they were worthwhile.

#40 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,484 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:48 AM

theoddone33:

I'm sorry that this is terribly offtopic, but Netflix has Failan, which I rewatched tonight. It should be in your various queues, if you haven't seen it.

I haven't seen it. It is now in my queue at number 392. So it might be awhile until I actually see it.

biggrin.gif