Photo

Netflix and Other DVD-by-Mail Vendors

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#41 theoddone33

theoddone33

• 763 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE(Darryl A. Armstrong @ Jan 12 2005, 12:48 AM)
I haven't seen it. It is now in my queue at number 392. So it might be awhile until I actually see it.

View Post

And I thought my queue was large, at 121. eek.gif

#42 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Christian @ Jan 11 2005, 05:22 PM)
Whoa! The "Spiritual Cinema Circle" -- endorsed by Deepak Chopra and Kenny Loggins??

View Post

And now this:

"The Spiritual Cinema Circle, a DVD club that deals in uplifting and inspiring films, is planning its first foray into film production. The company will produce an adaptation of Neal Donald Walsch's "Conversations With God" and plans to premiere it next year exclusively to its subscribers."

#43 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:08 PM

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I've been debating over joining one of these services.

I think I'm leaning towards NetFlix because they lowered their price and they have a distribution center located in Louisville. Blockbuster's closest center to me is in Chicago (or St. Louis - same distance), and I'd rather see a quicker turnaround.

Here's my question: How big are the envelopes that they deliever their DVD's in? I'm living at school, and the mailbox I have is only big enough to hold an envelope about 2-3cm thicker than a standard CD case. It's a disadvantage to get packages, because sometimes I'm at the mercy of the people that work there.

#44 Diane

Diane

Musical Shepherdess Goes to Washington

• 1,049 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:17 PM

Netflix DVDs come in thin envelopes (no padding). They're longer than a CD case, but thickness shouldn't be an issue.

#45 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,849 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Jan 13 2005, 01:27 PM)
One of the reasons I switched from NetFlix is that my turnaround time kept getting longer, even though I can pretty much SEE their distribution center from my house!

View Post

I find my Netflix turnaround time varies. Sometimes I think "Uh-oh, they're stretching the turnaround, just like people said they would," and then the next several DVDs come and go in a day or two. We almost always get movies the day before the projected arrival date. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern. Maybe if I kept a log. But I don't care that much.

Am I wrong in thinking that Blockbuster's selection skews more to popular current films? How is their selection of foreign and older/classic movies?

#46 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,115 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:46 PM

I'm trying a switch from Netflix to Blockbuster - in moving my queue from one to the other, it looks like there are a handful of films (out of approx. 120) that Blockbuster doesn't carry.

I've heard that B has a much faster turnover time, so we'll see. This, plus the cheaper monthly rate and the 2 in-store coupons a month make it worth a try for me.

#47 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 03:10 PM

I'm in Austin, TX and have no problems with my Netflix turnover. I usually get my movies on Tuesdays and Fridays.

If I send out three movies on Wed, then I'll get three movies on Friday and then I usually send out those movies on Saturday and then get my next batch on Tuesday.

#48 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Jan 13 2005, 12:27 PM)
Blockbuster's envelopes are a bit smaller.

Clint, the turnaround from a distribution center located at a USPS hub in Chicago might be the same as one in Louisvile (for high-volume mailers). One of the reasons I switched from NetFlix is that my turnaround time kept getting longer, even though I can pretty much SEE their distribution center from my house!

View Post

We might have the same thing. So they send yours to Chicago first before it goes to your house? Or am I reading your message wrong?

BTW - I decided to try out Netflix. I started my queue on Thursday, and the first three discs (Hell House, Ikiru, Solaris) arrived today. I'm not sure how the first turnaround time will be (given that Monday - maybe Thursday? - is a federal holiday), but I'm willing to try it out for a month.

#49 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,539 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:47 PM

Now available through Netflix... The Adventures of Noah's Park, starring the vocal talent of this A&F member.

Although, you'll notice he doesn't list this project under his IMDb page. How is Pixar ever going to contact you???

#50 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:38 AM

ARGH! CURSES!

Hey, my wife is voice talent on them as well. I'm not alone.

I would list it--except I can't add it if the title isn't on IMDB, which Richard Hayes (the creator) probably hasn't considered doing...

#51 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:45 PM

Anyone using the Netflix Friends program?

#52 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:11 AM

Well, I'm planning to head back to Netflix after this month's billing period is over at Blockbuster - I've just had an 11 day turnover for 2 different DVD's, which I find unacceptable.

#53 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:35 PM

What I don't like about Peerflix so far: 1. Having to look thru page after page where only 12 DVDs are listed at a time as available; 2. Continually browsing, being encouraged to add films to my queue, and finding that they are unavailable. This is already frustrating and I've only been at it a week.

-s.

#54 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,849 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(Darryl A. Armstrong @ Jan 30 2005, 12:45 AM)
Anyone using the Netflix Friends program?

View Post

I tried, but apparently if one's "friends" don't actually visit their netflix pages/queues within a certain timeframe in order to be notified that they have been "friended," the request expires. huh.gif

#55 Persona

Persona

• 7,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Jan 31 2005, 12:49 AM)
Hah! I suckered you, too, Stef?

I'm offended at that, Alan. I considered myself a sucker LONG before you came along!

They're strickly a California shop right now, and juuuuust getting started, so I can cut them some slack, and hey if it means swapping DVDs I don't particularly care for, that's FWM.

View Post

Yeah. I think I'll just get rid of a bunch of junk DVDs that have been laying around and then keep only something extremely rare in my "What I Want" queue. That way, some day out of the blue I'll end up with a Brakhage or something.

-s.

#56 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(stef @ Jan 31 2005, 11:03 AM)
That way, some day out of the blue I'll end up with a Brakhage or something.

-s.

View Post

I know how this one ends! Stef finds himself inadvertantly receiving multiple copies of The Brak Show.

#57 Persona

Persona

• 7,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

Never heard of it.

-s.

#58 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:41 PM

user posted image

Edited by Russ, 31 January 2005 - 12:42 PM.

#59 Persona

Persona

• 7,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:34 PM

Scaaaawwy.

-s.

#60 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:26 AM

At least Juliette Lewis isn't in it...