Photo

Deleting Your Own Threads

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hi.

I was wondering, judging from something I read down at this low end of the board that I typically avoid, whether or not the original poster is supposed to be able to delete his own threads. I do not have this function.

The reasons I ask are:

1. I have always used the bottom area when I am testing stuff, and lately when I've done this I can't make the "Test" go away, which leads to people looking at the thread because it is posted at the top as a new thread. Which probably ticks somebody, somewhere off.

2. I posted today on Read My Lips, and I'm not sure why, but it became a duplicate thread of itself Here. I wanted to simply delete it, but cannot find that function if I have it as the original poster. So I just edited it for now, linking it to the other thread.

Thanks for your kind attention.

#2 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

MLeary had the same issue with Beaches of Agnes, he had a duplicate thread. I saw that the second thread was gone however, so I asked him how he did it.

He said:

I just edited the duplicate topic and asked: Please delete this topic.

I guess this is how it should be handled because his second topic is gone. I'll give it a try.

#3 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

Oh, I must have misunderstood because his still does exist Here, in the wrong forum, and it still asks for deletion.

Hey, don't take this in the wrong spirit please, I am simply curious at this point: weren't original posters supposed to be able to delete their own posts on the new version of the board? I thought with previous problems and as I understand it, certain threads "disappearing" that this was going to be the new deal.

Anyway, if the board is experiencing problems and is sometimes duplicating threads, it would help if we had the power of deletion.

#4 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Thanks, Stef, for letting us know. Mods have the power to delete.

Were you able to delete your own posts right before the upgrade, or was it way back in May?

#5 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

My memory is too fuzzy, and this borders on a subject I never visited and don't want anyone else to rehash. I will PM you.

Edited by Persona, 10 December 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#6 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,193 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

FWIW, I seem to recall that even ALan couldn't delete the posts he'd started when he left earlier in the year.

Matt

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,611 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:57 AM

MattPage wrote:
: FWIW, I seem to recall that even ALan couldn't delete the posts he'd started when he left earlier in the year.

I think he COULD have deleted those threads, but that would have meant deleting everyone else's posts as well as his own -- so he simply emptied the thread-starting posts of their content. Threads that consisted of nothing BUT posts by Alan were probably deleted outright.

#8 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

and don't want anyone else to rehash.

Please let's just stop the conversation here. There's no point, and no need to get defensive about me asking either. I wish I hadn't brought it up.

Edited by Persona, 11 December 2009 - 03:17 PM.