Photo

Movies Everyone Except You Loves

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#101 Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer

• 284 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

FIGHT CLUB. Undoubtedly FIGHT CLUB has some very fine aspects as a film, but when one actually bothers to consider its intellectual content, FIGHT CLUB is as smart as a bag of rocks.

Agreed.

#102 Foolish Knight

Foolish Knight

• 57 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

I've never seen E.T. or Titanic...

:blink:

Wow. Congratulations, that's a feat in itself!

Oh! me! I've never seen them either!

(Well, okay, the first 10 minutes of E.T., but that's it.)

#103 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,896 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

Well, no one seemed to be giving hate to the films that needed some, so -

The Social Network
The Golden Compass
I Heart Huckabees
Cold Mountain
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Last Samurai

Edited by Persiflage, 15 January 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#104 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,560 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

Up
Reservoir Dogs
Braveheart
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan
Anything by Lars von Trier
The Patriot
Anything Kevin Smith-related.
(Almost) any James Bond film.

#105 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,778 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

Man. Rereading this thread, I find myself riveted by my back-and-forth with Bowen on The Wizard of Oz. I don't remember this discussion well, so I'm all like, "Go SDG from 13 months ago!" :D

Up
Reservoir Dogs
Braveheart
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan
Anything by Lars von Trier
The Patriot
Anything Kevin Smith-related.
(Almost) any James Bond film.

Come on now, let's have standards here. Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan may have been sufficiently generally acclaimed to make dislike a slightly (not very) contrarian view, but von Trier is so provocative and controversial that there is no contrarian stance; by no stretch of the imagination does "everyone except you love" him. There are also plenty of nay-sayers for Kevin Smith and 007. As for The Patriot, I'm not sure disliking it doesn't put you in the critical majority.

Well, no one seemed to be giving hate to the films that needed some, so -

The Social Network
The Golden Compass
I Heart Huckabees
Cold Mountain
The Last Samurai

Ditto. Seems to me you've got two solid contenders here, The Social Network and Crouching Tiger. They have their critics, but dislike is still a contrarian view. Avatar may pushing it, though, and on The Golden Compass and The Last Samurai you're surely well in the mainstream, if not the majority.

Edited by SDG, 15 January 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#106 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,519 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

Does The Curious Case of Benjamin Button count? Because I finally caught it recently and, though it's certainly not a stinker, that's three hours of my too-short life I want back.

Edited by NBooth, 15 January 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#107 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,732 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Up

Ditto. The most overrated film i can think of in recent memory.

#108 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,896 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

Seems to me you've got two solid contenders here, The Social Network and Crouching Tiger. They have their critics, but dislike is still a contrarian view. Avatar may pushing it, though, and on The Golden Compass and The Last Samurai you're surely well in the mainstream, if not the majority.

It seems all my friends love Golden Compass and Last Samurai, but maybe I just need new friends. As far as Avatar goes, I seem to remember it making (like The Social Network) far far too many top 10 lists for its year.

Does The Curious Case of Benjamin Button count? Because I finally caught it recently and, though it's certainly not a stinker, that's three hours of my too-short life I want back.

But what happened to your faith in Fincher's "sure hand" that you are relying on for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

Edited by Persiflage, 15 January 2011 - 05:36 PM.

#109 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,519 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

To be fair, I did have ZODIAC and SEVEN in mind when I said that.;)

#110 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,859 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

Greg P wrote:
: Jason Panella wrote:

: : Up
:
: Ditto. The most overrated film i can think of in recent memory.

Have you guys commented on that film in its thread? Because I'd be interested to hear your reasons.

#111 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

Top Gun

#112 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,113 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

Why you cold-hearted... ;)

As for myself, I know that I am not the only one, but I can't think of anyone who hated The Dark Knight like I do.

#113 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,560 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Come on now, let's have standards here. Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan may have been sufficiently generally acclaimed to make dislike a slightly (not very) contrarian view, but von Trier is so provocative and controversial that there is no contrarian stance; by no stretch of the imagination does "everyone except you love" him. There are also plenty of nay-sayers for Kevin Smith and 007. As for The Patriot, I'm not sure disliking it doesn't put you in the critical majority.

Sorry. I just thought of these in regards to the topic, since when I thought of "most people," I thought of most of the people who have seen the films in question, not just the A&F elite. I guess I could nitpick and say three of your initial choices aren't movies that "everyone loves" either. In fact, most of my movie buff friends hate Moulin Rouge.

Have you guys commented on that film in its thread? Because I'd be interested to hear your reasons.

I honestly don't have a good reason, per se. I just didn't like it. And I was fully expecting to, considering how much I like other Pixar films.

Edited by Jason Panella, 16 January 2011 - 08:48 AM.

#114 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,811 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

As for myself, I know that I am not the only one, but I can't think of anyone who hated The Dark Knight like I do.

I can't read your mind, of course, but I hated The Dark Knight a lot.

#115 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

A better, more topic-focused list.

Up
Reservoir Dogs
8 1/2
Shoot the Piano Player
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Schindler's List
The Wild Bunch
The Man With No Name trilogy
Breathless

Yes. I'm sure there are other humans beings out there that do not like these movies. I don't know any, though. (Besides Greg, for the first one.)

#116 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,230 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

A better, more topic-focused list.

Up
Reservoir Dogs
8 1/2
Shoot the Piano Player
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Schindler's List
The Wild Bunch
The Man With No Name trilogy
Breathless

Yes. I'm sure there are other humans beings out there that do not like these movies. I don't know any, though. (Besides Greg, for the first one.)

Now that is more controversial. I'll say, though, that SCHINDLER'S LIST has received some serious criticism over the years. Still, it's a minority position, but there are quite a few people who aren't too enamored with it. Including myself (I do have a positive attitude towards the film, but I don't think it's a Great Film).

#117 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

Now that is more controversial. I'll say, though, that SCHINDLER'S LIST has received some serious criticism over the years. Still, it's a minority position, but there are quite a few people who aren't too enamored with it. Including myself (I do have a positive attitude towards the film, but I don't think it's a Great Film).

I think I'm in the same camp. I have no hatred for it, but I do not like it either. Holocaust-related films tend to drain me emotionally, so I'm guess this contributes to my feelings.

#118 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,230 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Holocaust-related films tend to drain me emotionally, so I'm guess this contributes to my feelings.

Well, any good Holocaust film should drain the viewer, so I won't hold that against SCHINDLER'S LIST. One of the problems I have with the film is that it actually holds back in ways that it shouldn't.

#119 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,791 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

I admire Schindler's List, but I have never watched it outside of its original theatrical run, in part because the conclusion of the film (the Schindler breakdown scene) all but spoiled it for me. Similarly, I went from being euphoric with Saving Private Ryan after my first viewing to eventually deciding that the cons outweighed the pros on that one. When I list my favorite Spielberg films, neither title is on it.

Edited by Overstreet, 16 January 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#120 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Well, any good Holocaust film should drain the viewer, so I won't hold that against SCHINDLER'S LIST. One of the problems I have with the film is that it actually holds back in ways that it shouldn't.

This is true, but Holocaust films go a step more with me. One of those internal things I don't know how to put a finger on.