Movies You Love That Are Not Loved By Everyone Else

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#81 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,673 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Even though I acknowledge John Carpenter's Escape from New York as the better of the series, I enjoy Escape from L.A. much, much, much more. That Fonda-on-a-wave scene is ridiculous.

#82 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,539 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

Watership Down.

I love that movie. I've seen this movie more than any other animated film and it always smashes my heart to pieces. Part of this comes from my love of the novel. But much of it comes from a smart adaptation, astonishing animation, uncompromising and unflinching coverage of the story's darker chapters, and a score that I rate among the finest motion picture soundtracks I've ever heard. (And yes, I'll embrace the Art Garfunkel song along with the rest of it.)

John Hurt is great as a noble leader (for once!), and Zero Mostel's voice work as Keehaar is... um... the feather in the movie's cap.

You're not alone here. Damn that Art Garfunkel for making me misty eyed!

#83 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,332 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

I would have thought that Watership Down belongs in the same category that Anders put Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in: "pretty well regarded by most film fans. Perhaps more under-seen than under-appreciated." I've never met anyone who'd seen the film who DIDN'T like it.

#84 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

Rocky Balboa

I was unware this was not pretty well liked. As I recall it got decent reviews, and I haven't really met someone who hated it.

And I will just admit it...I like the Resident Evil series. Oh, I know they are not good films. In fact, i know they are crap. But I do enjoy them...enough that I own all of them on Blu-Ray.

Edited by Nezpop, 18 January 2011 - 08:26 AM.

#85 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,849 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

Lagaan was not so painful for me, but I enjoy sports motiefs anyway.

Apparently it wasn't so painful for many people; it was nominated for Best Foreign Film, if I recall.

But I fail to see what there is to love about it. It's even more cliched and dull than HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL, and twice as long.

You haven't seen Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, or Khabi Khushi Khabie Gham, evidently.

#86 Rachel Anne

Rachel Anne

• 683 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

Starship Troopers.

Pete Canavese, a fellow ST fan, explains why:

http://www.grouchore...om/reviews/3154

#87 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

The best Tom Hanks film - The Burbs.

#88 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,431 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Who doesn't like The Burbs?

One of mine that is really probably more underseen than not loved, but: Temple Grandin.

#89 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,854 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

If we are talking "probably underseen than not loved," then I would throw in A Pure Formality.

#90 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,673 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

One of mine that is really probably more underseen than not loved, but: Temple Grandin.

From what I've read or heard, the movie got a metric ton of critical praise. But yeah, did anyone watch it? (I know I want to at some point.)

#91 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,854 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

I haven't heard much love for Love Liza and I was enthralled by this film. It stars Philip Seymour Hoffman and the screenplay was written by his brother, Gordy Hoffman.

#92 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,431 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

From what I've read or heard, the movie got a metric ton of critical praise. But yeah, did anyone watch it? (I know I want to at some point.)

I thought it was mesmerizing. Would have been very high in my top ten if it had a legit theatrical release.

#93 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,849 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

I watched it & loved it. Claire Danes totally deserved that Golden Globe.

#94 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

No. That would be Charlie Wilson's War. The 'Burbs is pretty good though.

I like Starship Troopers as well. Really cheesey and jingoistic of something like a non-entity. I'm usually a sucker for Ver Hoeven. Even his Dutch films.

#95 Judo Chop

Judo Chop

• 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

Ron Howard’s FAR AND AWAY. Somehow I get chided by women and men alike for enjoying this one at all, never-minding just how much I enjoy it.
Just as ROMANCING THE STONE is a great romancy adventure story, FAR AND AWAY is a great adventuresome romance story.

#96 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,431 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Ron Howard’s FAR AND AWAY. Somehow I get chided by women and men alike for enjoying this one at all, never-minding just how much I enjoy it.
Just as ROMANCING THE STONE is a great romancy adventure story, FAR AND AWAY is a great adventuresome romance story.

You have taught me that I can select different fonts on this board. I also like Far and Away.

#97 Judo Chop

Judo Chop

• 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

I also like Far and Away.

You must be neither man nor woman then, M Leary! Posted Image

(thank you. every little bit helps.)

#98 Judo Chop

Judo Chop

• 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

You have taught me that I can select different fonts on this board.

Although, I’m not sure what this comment is referring to. Is all of my type coming across in obnoxious IMPACT font??
If so, I apologize. I’m not yelling. Really I’m not. Maybe 'cause I'm cutting and pasting from my work's email screen? Seriously. It all looks normal on my end, so someone please tell me if I'm looking like schmuck.

#99 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,381 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

You have taught me that I can select different fonts on this board.

Although, I’m not sure what this comment is referring to. Is all of my type coming across in obnoxious IMPACT font??
If so, I apologize. I’m not yelling. Really I’m not. Maybe 'cause I'm cutting and pasting from my work's email screen? Seriously. It all looks normal on my end, so someone please tell me if I'm looking like schmuck.

Your font is only slightly different than the standard board font (and yes, this is no doubt a factor of you copying and pasting from your work's e-mail screen). You're not causing our eyes to bleed or anything like that.

#100 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,945 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

Your font is only slightly different than the standard board font (and yes, this is no doubt a factor of you copying and pasting from your work's e-mail screen). You're not causing our eyes to bleed or anything like that.

I wish the board would respect formatting (mostly italic) when cutting and pasting but ignore font. When I feel the need to not work in the board textarea, I generally work in a text-only app like BBEdit (Mac) or HomeSite (PC), or run my text through one of those apps to remove unwanted font info -- but I have to watch the itals and indents and such.