• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#101 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,803 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

The best Tom Hanks film - The Burbs.

I agree. Just watched it again a couple of weeks ago, and it has lost nothing with age.

#102 gigi

gigi

ReMember

• 950 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

No joke: I loved Tombraider when I first saw it in the cinema. I haven't seen it since, but I had a riot. I was a little obsessed with the game at the time, too, which may have had an effect on my response to the film.

I also thought Beowulf was great, though I'm also unsure about critical response to this so it may have been widely acclaimed. Somehow, I doubt it.

#103 old wave

old wave

• 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

I'm fairly certain that there are other people who like The Fountain, but I'm not sure anyone else I know who would place it in the SF pantheon along with films like 2001 and Stalker.

#104 Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

Wayfaring Chestertonian Genre Slut

• 354 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

I don't know anyone who likes Watchman as much as I do.

Edited by Scott Derrickson, 21 January 2011 - 12:14 AM.

#105 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,685 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

I'm fairly certain that there are other people who like The Fountain, but I'm not sure anyone else I know who would place it in the SF pantheon along with films like 2001 and Stalker.

I like it a lot, though I wouldn't go quite that high.

#106 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

This is definitely something I need to watch again and soon. It is actually a perfect suggestion.

So, with all the current love for The Burbs will we have to delete all posts from this thread?

#107 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,943 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

I don't know anyone who likes Watchman as much as I do.

The movie from 1986 directed by Shankar Nag? Or the Zack Snyder movie?

#108 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

This is definitely something I need to watch again and soon. It is actually a perfect suggestion.

So, with all the current love for The Burbs will we have to delete all posts from this thread?

Possibly. I had no idea that anyone other than my immediate family loved this film. You learn something new every day.

I'm sure this one won't be met with the same acceptance as The Burbs, but I really like the film Sahara - the Matthew McConaughey, Steve Zahn film. I just have a lot of fun watching that movie even though I realize it is not really that great.

#109 Brian D

Brian D

• 160 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

-Despite its overly schematic screenplay, I love "Akeelah and the Bee" because (a). I love the lead performances, (B) I can get into weepy sentimental scenes if the actors are on, and, ©, I was once a runner-up in the state spelling bee. Akeelah understands what it felt like for me to be good at something nerdy, but she shows that you can be cool while doing it! (I don't think anyone hated this movie, but I doubt many others ran out to buy it as soon as it was released.)
-I feel like I need to boldly uphold "The Passion of the Christ" as a great film, especially now that even the portion of the demographic that once rightly praised it will forget about it for the next 10 years given Gibson's embarrassing behavior. Let's pray for some restoration to happen in this man's life.

Edited by Brian D, 23 January 2011 - 10:57 PM.

#110 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,564 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

I don't know if I love it, but I watched Memoirs of an Invisible Man yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. (I've been playing catch-up with all of the John Carpenter-directed movies I haven't seen, even the bad ones.) It was not great by any means, but solidly enjoyable.

#111 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:02 AM

Bruno.

#112 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,789 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

-Despite its overly schematic screenplay, I love "Akeelah and the Bee" because (a). I love the lead performances, (B) I can get into weepy sentimental scenes if the actors are on, and, ©, I was once a runner-up in the state spelling bee. Akeelah understands what it felt like for me to be good at something nerdy, but she shows that you can be cool while doing it! (I don't think anyone hated this movie, but I doubt many others ran out to buy it as soon as it was released.)
-I feel like I need to boldly uphold "The Passion of the Christ" as a great film, especially now that even the portion of the demographic that once rightly praised it will forget about it for the next 10 years given Gibson's embarrassing behavior. Let's pray for some restoration to happen in this man's life.

I'm with you on both counts. Except that we need to find a word other than "restoration" for what Gibson needs.

#113 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,685 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

I'd rather watch Spellbound (the Jeffrey Blitz documentary, not the Hitchcock movie) four more times before I'd watch Akeelah again.

#114 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,789 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

I'd rather watch Spellbound (the Jeffrey Blitz documentary, not the Hitchcock movie) four more times before I'd watch Akeelah again.

This comparison doesn't get you far, though, because on the one hand Akeelah is brimful of all kinds of sociological, interpersonal and pedagogical goodness that isn't really comparable to anything in Spellbound, and on the other hand Spellbound is doing other stuff that Akeelah doesn't do.

#115 Brian D

Brian D

• 160 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

I'll definitely have to find Spellbound. One other spelling bee movie that I noticed Roger Ebert loved, but yet does not seem to be loved by everyone else, is Bee Season. I have the impression that I wouldn't be very interested in it, but has anyone seen that?

Edited by Brian D, 27 January 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#116 Ambler

Ambler

• 35 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

It's more often a case of movies I love that have not been seen by anyone else. Do they count?

John Krish's Unearthly Stranger is perhaps the best example of these. George McCowan's The Love War, a forgotten ABC Movie of the Week, would be another.

(This will be my only post until The Management decide I am not a spambot/committing heresy by thought/making inappropriate comments.)

#117 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,564 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

It's more often a case of movies I love that have not been seen by anyone else. Do they count?

I think so; in any case, I'm adding one in this category.

Last night we watched Devil in a Blue Dress, the neo-noir based on the Walter Mosley novel of the same name. And I really liked it; the atmosphere felt just about right, and Don Cheadle's turn as Mouse was crackling. Thing is, I've never met anyone who has seen this movie (or, if they didn't, never felt it worth enough to comment on).

#118 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Last night we watched Devil in a Blue Dress, the neo-noir based on the Walter Mosley novel of the same name. And I really liked it; the atmosphere felt just about right, and Don Cheadle's turn as Mouse was crackling.

Count me in as a fan. Seen it a few times.

#119 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

I think I saw it back when it came out. But that's a while ago.

#120 theoddone33

theoddone33

• 763 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:32 AM

For me, Waking the Dead was one of my favorite films for a long time, but no one else seemed to like it or care about it that much. I need to watch it again and reevaluate.

If the thread here is anything to go by... Thirst is another.