Photo

Movies You Love That Are Not Loved By Everyone Else

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 Ambler

Ambler

• 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Last night we watched Devil in a Blue Dress [snip] Thing is, I've never met anyone who has seen this movie (or, if they didn't, never felt it worth enough to comment on).

I saw it many years ago. As I recall, Jennifer Beals was quite good. That in itself was a shock.

#122 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,415 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

Bad Boys

"Loves" is a bit strong, but still...

#123 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

Bad Boys

"Loves" is a bit strong, but still...

Until I clicked the link, I thought you were talking about the Michael Bay film.

Here's one:

YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH. I didn't like the film too much initially, but I've come to really dig it, warts and all.

Edited by Ryan H., 30 January 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#124 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 724 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:17 AM

It's more often a case of movies I love that have not been seen by anyone else. Do they count?

John Krish's Unearthly Stranger is perhaps the best example of these.

It's too bad Ambler didn't stick around long enough for me to read this post. I would've liked to have had a conversation with him about Unearthly Stranger. As an example of British sci-fi (a rarefied genre) it has a Nigel Kneale-like intelligence and a charged, sweaty atmosphere. Best line: "Your wife is very beautiful. She’s an alien, isn’t she?"

#125 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,714 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

Resurrecting this thread because The Avengers was on TV last night and I found myself dropping everything to watch it--even though I own the DVD and the movie was over halfway finished.

It's not a good movie by any means--Fiennes in particular looks like he's sleepwalking--but I've got a very soft spot for it all the same. And I can't think of another action/adventure movie that's this stylish (or, at least, stylish in this particular way):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgTiFsCMCo4

#126 Jeremy Ratzlaff

Jeremy Ratzlaff

sceptical idealist?

• 98 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

I always loved Spiderman 3. The entire trilogy is close to my heart, in a way.

Also, Knowing. The Nicolas Cage film. One of my favorites.

#127 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

I did not care for most of Knowing...but I did appreciate the guts to with the depressing Beneath the Planet of the Apes type of ending.

But I won't slam anyone for liking it...cuz I love Drive Angry. Which is probably a worse film. ;)

Edited by Nezpop, 21 March 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#128 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

I'll cop to liking every Shyamalan film before The Happening (this includes Lady in the Water and The Village - the former of which I actually like better).

Also (here's where it gets random): Little Manhattan, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 1 & 2, John Carter (very recent, of course).

I'm sure there are tons more but they're not coming to me at the moment.

#129 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,829 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

I guess I have to fess up and say that I also had great fun with the Knowing. I kind of get a kick out of those B type movies that touch on deeper themes.... even if they don't always succeed in what they're trying to do. I also liked the Village when I first saw it..... but it didn't hold up well on a later viewing.

#130 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

I think I remember a critic saying Knowing is a horrible move with great production values . . . which feels sort of spot-on to me.

I didn't hate the movie, but I can think of few films I'd like to see less a few years later. It was fun in an excruciating kind of way, I guess.

#131 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,364 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Y'know what film I really love but isn't much good?

The '63 CLEOPATRA with Liz Taylor. It's a mess, but, oh, the spectacle!

#132 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,536 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Y'know what film I really love but isn't much good?

The '63 CLEOPATRA with Liz Taylor. It's a mess, but, oh, the spectacle!

Ahhh, if we're going to go in that direction, then I'll have to add Howard Hawks' Land of the Pharaohs. Nearly as big a mess as Cleopatra, with great schlocky soap opera pretensions to boot. I love it!

#133 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,364 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:32 AM

LAND OF THE PHARAOHS is a lot of fun.

Edited by Ryan H., 28 March 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#134 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,085 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I agree, sort of.

I'm not ready to have a conversation about it--at least not here--but I guess I would say Agora.

#135 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,902 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

I agree, sort of.

I'm not ready to have a conversation about it--at least not here--but I guess I would say Agora.

Interesting. I just had a conversation with my supervisor on our flight to Boston for SCMS and he also had high praise for AGORA, which he had just seen. Maybe it's an academic thing?

#136 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 724 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Speaking of spectacle, I'm over the moon about anything that bears Cecil B. DeMille's stamp. It's easy to make sport of his pious, paradoxical approach to big, "important" subjects, but man, did he know how to direct!

#137 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,364 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

I, too, love DeMille.

#138 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,364 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Another film I'll put myself out there for is Stanley Donen's ARABESQUE. It's Donen's attempt at topping CHARADE, and while it misses the mark, the film has some endearing elements, including Gregory Peck trying his very best to be Cary Grant. There's also the ravishingly beautiful Sophia Loren, some terribly fun trick photography for the sake of trick photography, and a dynamite score from Henry Mancini:

#139 Evan C

Evan C

Being led on an illegal suicide mission by a selfish maniac.

• 878 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Resurrecting this thread, because it's fun to share these titles.

Chicago - I don't think I've ever met anyone else who likes this film, and certainly not as much as I do; I thought it was a brilliant satire and tons of fun. (This would seriously be a lock in for my top 100)

Branagh's Hamlet - Again, I haven't met many people who like it, but I love the spectacle and all of Shakespeare's dialogue.

Big Fish - I agree the naysayers raise some good points, but the visuals are stunning and the themes of reconciliation work for me.

Jackson's King Kong - so much fun.

Zhang Yimou's Curse of the Golden Flower- visually stunning and engaging, even if the story is kind of a mess.

While I certainly did not love it, I enjoyed Burton's extremely flawed Dark Shadows way more than anyone should.

#140 Tyler

Tyler

I right the outlaw wrongs on Mars.

• 6,052 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Resurrecting this thread, because it's fun to share these titles.

Chicago - I don't think I've ever met anyone else who likes this film

I guess you didn't watch the Oscars this year.

Big Fish - I agree the naysayers raise some good points, but the visuals are stunning and the themes of reconciliation work for me.

You're not alone on this one. One of my favorites.