Movies You Love That Are Not Loved By Everyone Else

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,497 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Since tyler got the ball rolling on the "Movies Everyone Except You Loves" thread, I thought we could take on the other side of the discussion. Which films do you love, even though general consensus isn't anywhere near as enthusiastic as you are? Make your case for these wrongly reviled or underrated masterpieces here.

I'll get the ball rolling with this assertion: FOLLOWING is Christopher Nolan's best film to date.

Edited by Ryan H., 16 December 2009 - 05:59 PM.

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Top Secret!

Rankin/Bass's The Hobbit

Natural Born Killers

Edited by Overstreet, 16 December 2009 - 05:56 PM.

#3 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Since tyler got the ball rolling on the "Movies Everyone Except You Loves" thread, I thought we could take on the other side of the discussion. Which films do you love, even though general consensus isn't anywhere near as enthusiastic as you are? Make your case for these wrongly reviled or underrated masterpieces here.

I'll get the ball rolling with this assertion: FOLLOWING is Christopher Nolan's best film to date.

I was planning to create this thread when I got home from work today. Looks like you beat me to it. Posted Image

#4 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever

#5 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

U2: Rattle and Hum

#6 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,497 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

Top Secret!

Oh, I really like that one!

Here's one: I really like Ridley Scott's HANNIBAL.

Edited by Ryan H., 16 December 2009 - 06:01 PM.

#7 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

The United States of Leland

Tarkovsky's Stalker (it's right up there with Solaris for my favorite Tarkovsky movie)

Jeunet's The City of Lost Children (my official "happy place" movie)

#8 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 519 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

Ronin. Also one of my favourite "Christmas" movies.

Blood Diamond & The Last Samurai (I have yet to see a Zwick film I don't like quite a bit)

From Russia With Love, easily the best film in the Bond canon.

Black Hawk Down. I don't know if this movie is actively disliked, so much as largely ignored (give or take a few mentions on a couple best-of-decade lists). Including The Hurt Locker, this is THE war film of the decade. In the same boat, I have great affection for Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut, which deserves to be included in Scott's masterpiece list alongside Blade Runner, Alien, and BHD.

Minority Report.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996). My favourite animated film, and favourite Disney film. Every time Disney's 90's renaissance is mentioned, this one gets overlooked.

Edited by N.W. Douglas, 16 December 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#9 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

Jeunet's The City of Lost Children

I stand beside you. Or behind you. Or something.

#10 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,153 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

I stand with Jeffrey re: Top Secret!

#11 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:57 PM

Others love Midnight Run, but is it in anybody else's all-time top 10?

#12 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

King of Kings (1961). I know I'm wrong but still.
Field of Dreams - at least according to previous Top 100 votes (The Hon. Ron Reed excepted)

Matt

#13 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, off the top of my head I give you Vera, La ciƩnaga, and of course, Barbie and the Three Musketeers (oh, OK I don't love Barbie but my daughter does and that counts). There are hundreds more we can look up if we really want to.

Yours Truly,

Persona, King of the one-post-stand.

PS I love Rattle and Hum. Five stars at Netflix. I honestly kinda like Following, too.

Edited by Persona, 16 December 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#14 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,675 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

Rollerball

#15 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

Rollerball

Philistine!

#16 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,052 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

Others love Midnight Run, but is it in anybody else's all-time top 10?

Lame, Overstreet. Lame.

#17 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,787 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

I guess I could mention The Family Way (1966) -- which has been my official third-favorite movie ever for nearly 20 years now -- but the primary reason other people don't love it is because they simply haven't seen it. I don't think it was even released on home video in North America until earlier this year (or was it last year? anyway, it was very recently).

N.W. Douglas wrote:
: From Russia With Love, easily the best film in the Bond canon.

Is this one really suffering from a lack of love? I know Connery says it's his favorite of the bunch.

: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996). My favourite animated film, and favourite Disney film. Every time Disney's 90's renaissance is mentioned, this one gets overlooked.

Technically, I'd say the renaissance was more of a late-'80s, early-'90s thing -- basically the period when Jeffrey Katzenberg was running the animation department. One of Katzenberg's first triumphs was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which was the 2nd-highest-grossing film of 1988 (after Rain Man) and proved that cartoons could appeal to a wide, grown-up audience and not just to "family" audiences; it was followed by the Ashman-Menken Broadway-style musicals The Little Mermaid (1989), Beauty and the Beast (1991) and Aladdin (1992); and those, in turn, were followed by the inexplicably but phenomenally successful The Lion King (1994), which became the top-grossing cartoon of all time. A few months later, Katzenberg left Disney in a huff to co-found DreamWorks, and Disney was never the same without him; when I hear "Disney in the '90s", I think of middling (and sometimes struggling, box-office-wise) mid- to late-'90s fare like Pocahontas, Hercules, Mulan and, yes, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The films released in this period were not without their merits, but they are not generally considered part of the "renaissance", unless I'm mistaken; indeed, they tend to be overshadowed by the rise of feature-length CG, which was a whole other trend that began with Pixar's Toy Story (the top-grossing film of 1995) and continued with A Bug's Life (1998), Antz (1998), Toy Story 2 (1999) and so on.

#18 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,052 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

Spider-Man 3.
Shark Tale.
Standing boldly with Overstreet: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
Standing boldly with He Who Will Not Be Named: Superman Returns.

#19 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,153 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Mystery Men

#20 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,887 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

Now, this is a topic for which I could probably come up with a list a mile long. I'll join the love for Superman Returns and The Hobbit(Rankin-Bass). Dune is objectively bad, but I'll watch it any time of the day or night, and I even don't do that for movies in my top ten. But one movie I imagine I'll stand alone in my love for--at least here, given the thread--is Labyrinth. Yes, Labyrinth.

Edited by NBooth, 16 December 2009 - 07:50 PM.